Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the New Mercedes Sports Car a Sales Dud?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Smile AMG GTS - I love it's exclusivity!!

I don't know where to even begin...

The AMG GT was never meant to be a car produced in large numbers!

I had a chance to talk to someone from AMG in December in Palm Desert and if memory serves me correctly the number was to be less than 1500 for the USA in the first year.

So, if by October indeed 900 were sold that number would appear to be right on track. Using 1500 for the USA I would think that would equate to about 5000 worldwide.

I took a quick look at cars.com and there are 80 something new cars for sale for the entire USA and there are 40 something used ones for sale, all close to MSRP.
I would recommend calling a number of dealers and one would quickly find out that there issue is that they can't get sufficient inventory, especially in the major metropolitan markets. .

There is a clear imbalance between supply and demand as an owner I am absolutely delighted of how well the AMG GTS has maintained it's value - I for one sure love that!!

I am also totally thrilled that there isn't an AMG GTS at every corner, but that currently this car is rarer than most exotics and wherever I take my Edition 1, it gets incredibly positive comments and approving looks.

I had a Porsche Turbo which I loved driving and enjoyed very much. The AMG GTS is a totally different experience, it is not about better or worse - it is simply different and totally delightful.

Sometimes one makes great decisions and sometimes stupid decisions.

Buying the AMG GTS has been one of the best automobile decisions I have ever made and I intent keeper her for many years and I am really hoping that a Roadster is not too far in the future.

Kudos Mercedes - Benz, Kudos AMG
Old 11-03-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 SL550 (Designo Edition), 08 C300, 13 Mini Cooper, 17 Macan GTS, 18 720s
Originally Posted by blipit
Fletcher's website says they have 22 AMG GTS available. Are they full of sh*t?
Short answer, "yes." When I bought my SL550, I was looking for a very specific color, Lunar Blue to be exact with Napa Porcelain leather, their website said they had the car and 25 to 30 other SL's. In reality they had less than 10 in stock and if your preferred color was either a shade of black or grey, you were in business. When I asked about the web page, it is not really well managed and what they show is what they may have had in the past or what they might have in inventory or what they might get in the future - in other words, garbage.

Anyways, after a bunch of silver or black cars over the years, I wanted something different. Eventually we settled on a designo Cardinal Red Metallic with Napa Porcelain. I have come to like the color in certain lighting, mostly in dimmer light, initially liked the 19-inch multispoke wheels, but after having them for a while, much rather prefer my last set, AMG 5-spoke and perhaps the biggest disappointment was settling for the non sport brakes, the standard brakes kind of suck. Well at least the car is leased and I don't have to live with it forever and Fletcher-Jones did very right by me on the price, that I can't complain about.

MB
Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL500, 2003 E320, 2005 SL55
Makes me want to get one even more. I don't like driving around in a car that I see everywhere else...
Also, the comparison to the 911 is sort of apples to oranges. 911 is more of a sportscar while the AMG is more of a grand tourer (hence the name AMG "GT"). Why would you want a ton of lux/electronic options in a 911 anyway? Part of the appeal is that less is more.