Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One issue after another

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Ravenred
I'm curious where your R8 fits into the group. To me, it's one of the best cars out there ( and i'm surprised at how little people talk about them or mention them)....i'm still hung up on my R8...There are a few things i like better about my Ed 1 but over all, i think i prefer the R8 ....to the point of buying a new one in 3 years when i've given this GTS a fair chance. She only has 1k miles on her.

What's your thoughts on the two ? (your R8 and your GTS)?
The R8 is a beautiful car but the 2012 has the SMG III style single clutch trany and its laborious and uncomfortable. I have done several software tweaks to smooth it out but its not ideal vs a DCT or a ZF8 tranny. The 2012 interior is now dated but this is all fixed with the 2017 coming out (DCT of course) and its Huracan like numbers. The GTS is the faster and better car but its a 2016 and my R8, for all intensive purposes, is a 9 year old generation car. The R8 though, sounds so sexy and is an eye catcher plus it still handles like a dream compared to most cars. Mine is modded with suspension and exhaust items but the magnetorheological dampeners are still best in class today. So the GTS is clearly the better overall car but in 2012 the R8 would take the cake because the GTS wasn't even born. The R8 is just too long in the tooth (mine) but the next iteration will be crush the GTS in all regards IMHO except for steering.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
To be fair with the GTS, you would have to compare the 2017 V8 R8 and not the V10, or possibly the new rumored 5 cylinder R8 to replace the V8. I think performance wise the GTS would win.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ferrari 458 spider
I think today I heard the dreaded suspension noise? It sounded like I was dragging a metal can on the ground for about 5 feet at very low speeds under 5mph. It sounded like it was coming from the rear suspension however. No warning lights, went away once I accelerated. Is this it?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari California T
No. Sorry. The suspension noise comes from the front of the car and is just a thump. Sounds like some metal rod cracks but it's just some rubbing and not a big deal. Very alarming sound though. You get it when going over a speed bump or up a driveway. Especially at an angle.
Vic, I loved my R8. Had one of the very first v10's. But I got it in manual cause I wasnt a fan of that egear thing. I actually still think it was better then current 911's. The totally fresh look, however, is very long in the tooth. Would like to see them redesign while keeping it simple inside like the original.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
Originally Posted by unpollo2
I think today I heard the dreaded suspension noise? It sounded like I was dragging a metal can on the ground for about 5 feet at very low speeds under 5mph. It sounded like it was coming from the rear suspension however. No warning lights, went away once I accelerated. Is this it?
Try some 3 in 1 oil on your "hot wheels". It should fix it.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 911 gt3
Originally Posted by unpollo2
Had similar noise in rear wheel happened to me. It felt like something get picked up in between sheet metal shield and brake rotor.
It quickly disappear.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM

e63s estate
I was getting noise out of the back suspension as well, usually as mentioned with a speed bump or driveway curb.

I will still say they were two different noises. One was absolutely front suspension (while under load) usually while pulling into a high curbed driveway or over a speed bump. The second (which I attribute to the pano roof personally) was very different. Seemed like behind me and only when really torxing the body. So speed bump offset so the frame gets some torsion.

BOTH were resolved mind you with the "suspension tightening" that the dealer did. Why do I make a note about the different noises? Cause I really think they are two separate things that thankfully were both taken care of.

Update on the exhaust noise. Completely new exhaust fitted to car (gulp) one of the baffles failed in the muffler or something. Lost another week in the car but she is now just sitting back in the garage where she will stay Driving her and waiting for the next thing to fail is getting old.

Love the discussion of other cars in people's stables

-Dave
Old 11-11-2015, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by dboyle
I was getting noise out of the back suspension as well, usually as mentioned with a speed bump or driveway curb.

I will still say they were two different noises. One was absolutely front suspension (while under load) usually while pulling into a high curbed driveway or over a speed bump. The second (which I attribute to the pano roof personally) was very different. Seemed like behind me and only when really torxing the body. So speed bump offset so the frame gets some torsion.

BOTH were resolved mind you with the "suspension tightening" that the dealer did. Why do I make a note about the different noises? Cause I really think they are two separate things that thankfully were both taken care of.

Update on the exhaust noise. Completely new exhaust fitted to car (gulp) one of the baffles failed in the muffler or something. Lost another week in the car but she is now just sitting back in the garage where she will stay Driving her and waiting for the next thing to fail is getting old.

Love the discussion of other cars in people's stables

-Dave
Too bad. I'll take her off your hands Dave. Shoot me a PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM

e63s estate
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Too bad. I'll take her off your hands Dave. Shoot me a PM.
I fell in love with the car on the track. Yep I am that sucker that paid for the driving academy then went and bought the car purely based on that experience. My intent had been to track her, not race or anything but I live an hour from Harris Hill so why not.

Obviously not going to happen now. Never done a race start, baby'd her probably more than any other car I have owned and just problems. I thought my old 964 was in the shop alot

The other car I was looking at was a used 2013 Aston V12 Vantage Carbon (last v12 manual that will probably ever be made). I specifically didn't buy it cause I assumed that being british built it was going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Not looking for a pity party, I am just really curious if my experience has been just straight up the opposite of everyone else. Certainly sounds that way...

-Dave
Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I fell in love with the car on the track. Yep I am that sucker that paid for the driving academy then went and bought the car purely based on that experience. My intent had been to track her, not race or anything but I live an hour from Harris Hill so why not.

Obviously not going to happen now. Never done a race start, baby'd her probably more than any other car I have owned and just problems. I thought my old 964 was in the shop alot

The other car I was looking at was a used 2013 Aston V12 Vantage Carbon (last v12 manual that will probably ever be made). I specifically didn't buy it cause I assumed that being british built it was going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Not looking for a pity party, I am just really curious if my experience has been just straight up the opposite of everyone else. Certainly sounds that way...

-Dave
Not sure if I missed anything but whatever I read seems like some minor adjustments, which is nothing for a new platform.
In fact I am impressed how well the car does.

I contrast, Our last BMW 750li 3 years into the production cycle had an engine that essentially self destructed. Their recall had the car in the garage for 3-6 weeks.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)

-Dave
You babied it. That is why it is always broken. It is not a car to be babied. THese cars need to have motoman style break ins and need to really be driven. The cars that are built to be babied are not built by AMG division.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:30 PM

AMG GTS
Hi Dave, I have the tick,tick,tick at Idle. Should I take it in ?

I do hear the tick, tick noise at idle should I take the car and I have noticed no difference in performance.

Greetings everyone. I am an owner of a non-edition 1 GTS and I am interesting if anyone else is having just endless issues with their car like I am.

Within a few weeks an oil return line failed (there was a very strange tick tick tick at idle) after a week in the shop they ended up cannibalising another car to get me going since the part didn't exist. Next up all the suspension bolts needed to be re-torqued to stop both the "normal" panoramic roof sounds but a very very very ugly suspension noise at full front suspension bump.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Greetings everyone. I am an owner of a non-edition 1 GTS and I am interesting if anyone else is having just endless issues with their car like I am.

Within a few weeks an oil return line failed (there was a very strange tick tick tick at idle) after a week in the shop they ended up cannibalising another car to get me going since the part didn't exist. Next up all the suspension bolts needed to be re-torqued to stop both the "normal" panoramic roof sounds but a very very very ugly suspension noise at full front suspension bump.

Now the exhaust makes a very funky ticking noise when coming on throttle or off throttle (engine braking). Putting it into full race mode with the "loud" button helps it disappear but then I am THAT guy driving around the neighborhood.

I am not a particularly picky person, however I cannot believe how frequently I have had to leave the car at the dealer since I bought it in June. I am just utterly disappointed with my experience so far and at a complete loss on where I go from here. This is my second AMG (e63 Estate which I miss since it just worked) and absolutely my last. If I hadn't have put an $$$$$$ wrap on the car out of the gates I would almost be ok taking the depreciation and just getting rid of it and going back to porsches.

If somehow I just got a dud of a car well that is another thing than I am SOL. I didn't buy some exotic that I expected to be finicky and needs to visit with the mechanic every thousand miles but that is exactly what I got. I just wanted a mercedes...

Not trying to start a pitty thread but I just can't imagine my experience is some oddity, I didn't think karma-wise I was that poorly off lol

-Dave
I had a lot of issues too. The exhaust ticking is the butterfly valve in the exhaust bypass going bad. I had mine replaced already and it is a common problem.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM

AMG GTS, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911
Thumbs down

I m in the same boat as most of you guys. Have had so many problems with my edition 1 GTS. Have had to bring it into servicing twice to take care of the rear suspension noise and wasn't fixed until a third try when I blew off my lid and they finally "replaced" a lot of the parts rather than tightening them. Also had a very serious incident where the car just froze in the middle of the road due to a "transmission problem". Good thing it was late at night and there wasn't much traffic around. Just lost power when accelerating. Again, servicing tells me it's just a minor problem that's easily fixable. My problem is that this is AMG's flagship car and I have had it for less than 6 months with around 3,000 km only and it's been in servicing for about 2 months. How does the price justify what I get?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I ended up getting so fed up with all the problems with mine I traded it in. Biggest POS I've ever owned, right up there with my POS CTS-V for number of problems in first year of ownership.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:53 AM

global recall

i just realize that my most recent problem and complaint as to what happened to me caused a global recall.

http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...aft-separation

everything in the article happened to me and I would have been the 1st injury if there were more cars on the road that night.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 AM

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/28/2...eshaft-recall/

sorry, this is a better article
Old 07-15-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Hi all, would love to have all of the owners weigh in on this poll to give their final verdict:

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/631791-would-you-buy-2016-gt-s-again.html

Tnx
Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by frankstergts

I see this recall in my future.....haven't heard from the dealership yet.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 AM

AMG GTS
Mine has been a complete piece of ****. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

**** YOU MERCEDES! You screw me over by selling me a lemon? I'm going to cost you sales!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 AM

Various AMG Models
I also had numerous issues with my Edtion 1. In my case both the dealer and MBUSA worked with me and I ended up with a late model year replacement.

Knock wood no issues so far..
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16 AMG GTS, 17 Huracan, 18 GLE 43
picked up the car in April/16 I have had no issues .... window noise on drivers side which was serviced so far so good
Old 07-18-2016, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Z1ski
picked up the car in April/16 I have had no issues .... window noise on drivers side which was serviced so far so good
What did they do for the window noise on the driver's side?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16 AMG GTS, 17 Huracan, 18 GLE 43
the techs realigned rubber around the window is what I was told ...
The following users liked this post:
California John (07-18-2016)