Sponsored by:

One issue after another

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63s estate
Unhappy One issue after another

Greetings everyone. I am an owner of a non-edition 1 GTS and I am interesting if anyone else is having just endless issues with their car like I am.

Within a few weeks an oil return line failed (there was a very strange tick tick tick at idle) after a week in the shop they ended up cannibalising another car to get me going since the part didn't exist. Next up all the suspension bolts needed to be re-torqued to stop both the "normal" panoramic roof sounds but a very very very ugly suspension noise at full front suspension bump.

Now the exhaust makes a very funky ticking noise when coming on throttle or off throttle (engine braking). Putting it into full race mode with the "loud" button helps it disappear but then I am THAT guy driving around the neighborhood.

I am not a particularly picky person, however I cannot believe how frequently I have had to leave the car at the dealer since I bought it in June. I am just utterly disappointed with my experience so far and at a complete loss on where I go from here. This is my second AMG (e63 Estate which I miss since it just worked) and absolutely my last. If I hadn't have put an $$$$$$ wrap on the car out of the gates I would almost be ok taking the depreciation and just getting rid of it and going back to porsches.

If somehow I just got a dud of a car well that is another thing than I am SOL. I didn't buy some exotic that I expected to be finicky and needs to visit with the mechanic every thousand miles but that is exactly what I got. I just wanted a mercedes...

Not trying to start a pitty thread but I just can't imagine my experience is some oddity, I didn't think karma-wise I was that poorly off lol

-Dave
Old 10-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Sorry for your issues--- mine has been amazing with just some of those pops early on via the strut bar but have since gone away.

I'm sure you will get some more that will chime in with issues because that's the nature of bad news = it travels faster. But I am extremely happy with my car and being an early adopter as well. I do have an ED1 car but I don't think that means anything.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Sorry to hear about your issues but may I suggest you should look at the glass half full and not half empty.
The early adopters on a brand new model are going to have teething problems and that's too bad. If your problems are now fixed to your satisfaction and you had a week or 2 of down time, this is a small price to pay IMHO.
Bad news travel fast and as Vic stated I have not seen or heard any major issues other that the strut/supsension/exhaust issue.
It could be worse: recall for burning engines ala Porsche and Ferrari or an engine blow up ala Viper or Corvette.
I am happy to take it off your hands for an even trade of my 13CLS63
Finally what wrap did you do? care to share pics?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 PM

e63s estate
Oh I assure you I feel bad *****ing about my expensive unicorn not working properly

Isn't my first early adopter car either. I am not expecting zero issues I am just really confused by all the issues. Hence the plea to see if it is just me.

The wrap is just a 3m clear wrap. Kinda cool cause they "print" (I suspect cut lol) sheets for the car. Looks great and absolutely helps with all the road crap kicking up and messing up the front end. Did the whole body (why not?) and haven't regretted it IF the car was going to be a forever car. Will take some pictures after I get it back from the dealer again...

-Dave
Old 10-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
It has been a very good experience!

I am really sorry to hear about the litany of problems you endured.

I also bought an Edition I in May and it has been a totally trouble free experience - knock on wood.

My only "problem" is that the driver's door is not totally properly aligned and does not have the satisfying typical Mercedes thud when it closes.

I have nothing but raves about my experience since buying.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ferrari 458 spider
what is this about pano roof noises? what kind does it make normally and not?

i was really wanting one because the cabin is so snug but not if there is creaking noises
Old 10-29-2015, 07:24 PM

Viper TA, Yamaha R1M
Originally Posted by emericr
It could be worse: recall for burning engines ala Porsche and Ferrari or an engine blow up ala Viper or Corvette.
I guess news travels fast about the viper's engines.... I'm on my third engine in my TA
Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 AM

Ferrari California T
Well, we pretty much all have the "very very ugly sound" when the suspension gets bumped. Usually you get it when you go over a speed bump or into a driveway or something. I think someone said there was a fix but then it didn't stay fixed or something like that. Search the threads. I personally just live with it. You get it especially bad turning into a driveway. Eh, frankly it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 AM

e63s estate
On the ugly sounds on suspension bump the only reason I brought it in was because it sounds like something is very loose and popping under load. I can't really describe it other than when it does happen I am worried that I am going to get christmas lights on the dash (reverting back to my old old 911 ways expecting everything to fail at once lol). The "normal" pano roof noises are very very well documented. I had them in my old wagon and the only way I can describe it is if you torsion the frame (pulling into a driveway, speed bump etc) in a certain way you will hear what is commonly referred to as "glass breaking noise". The suspension ones are very different.

It has to be said btw the dealer has been very good about each of the issues. My ask is if anyone else has been having anything in the same vein. I just have lost that "nothing bad is going to happen" confidence I really wanted in a new very expensive car As I said hopped in the car yesterday and after it is warmed up get the strange exhaust note.

It takes me roughly an hour (if traffic is good) to get to the dealer. So each time I drop off the car it is minimally 2 more likely 3 hours each time (take time off work etc). So my gripe is more about lost time. I had hoped it would be oil changes and minor stuff and it has been a week here a week there without the car to figure out the strange problems.

I am absolutely aware of the absurdity of whining about this trust me. I am just interested in if I am just the lucky one Looks like I am.

-Dave
Old 10-30-2015, 04:57 PM

ferrari 458 spider
Originally Posted by dboyle
On the ugly sounds on suspension bump the only reason I brought it in was because it sounds like something is very loose and popping under load. I can't really describe it other than when it does happen I am worried that I am going to get christmas lights on the dash (reverting back to my old old 911 ways expecting everything to fail at once lol). The "normal" pano roof noises are very very well documented. I had them in my old wagon and the only way I can describe it is if you torsion the frame (pulling into a driveway, speed bump etc) in a certain way you will hear what is commonly referred to as "glass breaking noise". The suspension ones are very different.

It has to be said btw the dealer has been very good about each of the issues. My ask is if anyone else has been having anything in the same vein. I just have lost that "nothing bad is going to happen" confidence I really wanted in a new very expensive car As I said hopped in the car yesterday and after it is warmed up get the strange exhaust note.

It takes me roughly an hour (if traffic is good) to get to the dealer. So each time I drop off the car it is minimally 2 more likely 3 hours each time (take time off work etc). So my gripe is more about lost time. I had hoped it would be oil changes and minor stuff and it has been a week here a week there without the car to figure out the strange problems.

I am absolutely aware of the absurdity of whining about this trust me. I am just interested in if I am just the lucky one Looks like I am.

-Dave
Does the pano roof still creak after the adjustment?

Does the front suspension still make noise after the adjustments?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 PM

e63s estate
Originally Posted by unpollo2
Does the pano roof still creak after the adjustment?

Does the front suspension still make noise after the adjustments?
Nope! As I said dealer has been doing a great job. Once it got to the point where I could duplicate it, they fixed it. I had done some research here so knew that some people were having issues (and there was a mention of a TSB perhaps).

-Dave
Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by dboyle
Nope! As I said dealer has been doing a great job. Once it got to the point where I could duplicate it, they fixed it. I had done some research here so knew that some people were having issues (and there was a mention of a TSB perhaps).

-Dave
Dave
Could you tell us specifically what dealer did with both problems ? Would be helpful.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GTS and GLA250
Had zero problems so far.

I hope yours gets sorted out.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:09 PM

e63s estate
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Dave
Could you tell us specifically what dealer did with both problems ? Would be helpful.
The only specific description used was "we re-torqued every suspension bolt". I believe them cause every squeak or burp that the car exhibited prior disappeared

I do not know if they did the shave down trick (of the suspension mount) or whatever has been recommended in the other threads about the noise. I had given them links to the threads here etc just to try and help them identify. There is nothing worse than experiencing something and then the dealer NOT being able to duplicate. Makes you feel like a crazy person.

-Dave
Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 145 Posts
SLS AMG
Take a look over at the AMG Private Lounge. "Lots" of problems on these cars. Hopefully, they have corrected a majority of the problems in new cars being shipped by now.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 AM

ferrari 458 spider
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
Take a look over at the AMG Private Lounge. "Lots" of problems on these cars. Hopefully, they have corrected a majority of the problems in new cars being shipped by now.
access to public is restricted you need a VIN number

but please do share anymore info you have here it helps us possible owners

thanks
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
There are fewer problems reported on the AMG private than on this forum and those reported are nothing different than mentioned here. I believe than most of the people complaining do not even own a GTS. You want to see problems, check out the new Z06.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by cec69
There are fewer problems reported on the AMG private than on this forum and those reported are nothing different than mentioned here. I believe than most of the people complaining do not even own a GTS. You want to see problems, check out the new Z06.
True and then there are others who think they know the car and probably haven't even driven one (properly)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Vic55
True and then there are others who think they know the car and probably haven't even driven one (properly)
Speaking of driving..... I've never heard a direct comparison between a GTS and that Huracan you have. Could you give some driving feedback between both?

T Vic.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Speaking of driving..... I've never heard a direct comparison between a GTS and that Huracan you have. Could you give some driving feedback between both?

T Vic.
Both are great cars with different feel. The GTS has incredible throttle response for a Turbo engine and the chassis is relatively flat in the sharpest of bends. The exhaust note is brilliant with aggressive pops and firings plus a wonderful rumble at idle. Its a real wheel GT car with track car capabilities all day. The GTS is very luxurious inside with a tight cabin feel and updated electronics. I could drive this car daily and put a lot of miles on it with no worries. The Tq pull is incredible (I'm tuned though) and the car is a lot of fun with the RWD. Steering is on point with almost zero understeer in turns. Just a great overall car that can be abused.

The Lambo is a more of an event. Its a look at me car but with performance that backs up the looks. The AWD platform allows for incredible launches and then it just pulls and pulls. It does need a slight bit more aggressive driver since its power and tq range come better into play in the higher rpm range but it has amazing throttle response. The handling and chassis feedback is tremendous; a bit more flat than the GTS with less lean. Steering is not as good but I expect that with the AWD/Audi system it utilizes. Exhaust note is shocking and the V10 makes a symphony that demands windows down if possible at all times. I like the interior and the Audi interface is clean with the 12.3 inch TFT screen in your face to tell whats up.

I really think its an apples and oranges comparo with the Lambo being the better performer while the GTS being the better daily assassin. Price is always a factor but this is just about my driving thoughts of both. The Lambo is better on the eyes IMHO but the GTS is no slouch. Id say that the Lambo is a 9.5/10 driver and the GTS right there at a 9.

A quick view of my thoughts (YMMV):

Performance (dig, rollers): Lambo
Steering: GTS
Suspension: Lambo
Chassis: Lambo
Overall handling: Lambo
Brakes: Lambo
Interior comfort: GTS
Interior electronics: GTS
Daily usage capability: GTS
Looks: Lambo
Exhaust: Tie (some like the deep burble, others like the V10 symphony- I like both)
Value: GTS

Last edited by Vic55; 11-03-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Great Comparison Vic.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:17 PM

Ferrari California T
I had a little trouble with the sight lines in the huracan. One I drove had those slats on the back and it was weird looking back there. Talk about radically different though, how do you go from that uber short nose huracan to long hood of gts?
Looking at your list, I'm hoping you agree the FF is the most poorly understood car. I LOVED the two I had. Sure it wasn't the best looking Ferrari but I could think of no other car I'd rather take cross country. Even over the F12.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by trincap
I had a little trouble with the sight lines in the huracan. One I drove had those slats on the back and it was weird looking back there. Talk about radically different though, how do you go from that uber short nose huracan to long hood of gts?
Looking at your list, I'm hoping you agree the FF is the most poorly understood car. I LOVED the two I had. Sure it wasn't the best looking Ferrari but I could think of no other car I'd rather take cross country. Even over the F12.
We are both on the same page no doubt... The Huracan rear sight line is terrible but so is the left turn view with the GTS due to the mirror getting in the way of cars coming from the right (do you guys notice this at times). I guess Ive just become used to the Huracan and using the side mirrors pre dominantly but I do have the forged glass option which allows for sight vs the slatted version (the forged option is like 7k though). The FF and its rather long nose helped me ease in with the GTS LOL, but you are right its just a great GT family hauler. Yes its the Kobe Bryant of looks (love it or hate it) but I love it. I am thinking of a change though as I'm not needing the 4 seats anymore.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Ferrari California T
Ha, totally agree on the sight line. NO, don't do it. The FF is the ultimate road trip car. I say, if you have the garage space, keep it. I just wish I had the space for it still. Besides, you are full up on 8 Cyl current cars. Also you have a sport sedan already. So your next target should be a vintage Hauler (1960's Bronco) or a vintage auto (vette, mustang, ferrari, etc).
I have being going backwards and got a '61 and a '70. Looking for an '80's now.

Last edited by trincap; 11-05-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:15 PM

2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 -2014 R8 & H2
I'm curious where your R8 fits into the group. To me, it's one of the best cars out there ( and i'm surprised at how little people talk about them or mention them)....i'm still hung up on my R8...There are a few things i like better about my Ed 1 but over all, i think i prefer the R8 ....to the point of buying a new one in 3 years when i've given this GTS a fair chance. She only has 1k miles on her.

What's your thoughts on the two ? (your R8 and your GTS)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One issue after another