Which beast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes E350
Which beast?

new e63s info/specs revealed, seems like it would devour the GTS, which is strange. (Not comparing GTR or GTC)

e63s with more creature comforts, gts seems more raw

gts is beautiful, e63s menacing

cost of gts (most likely) more than e63s

So the BIG question...knowing what you know (because I don't own either, yet), which would you get if you started with a clean slate?

your advice(s) based on fact and emotion are both appreciated! Really will help me choose which to get!
Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by AMG350
new e63s info/specs revealed, seems like it would devour the GTS, which is strange. (Not comparing GTR or GTC)

So the BIG question...knowing what you know (because I don't own either, yet), which would you get if you started with a clean slate?

your advice(s) based on fact and emotion are both appreciated! Really will help me choose which to get!
Drive both 2016 models and you will have your answer.

For me the eclass while very quick is a big yawn stylistically both inside and out. Two entirely different experiences IMO.

This HP number is indeed curious as it significantly overshadows the GTR which makes no sense. These games Benz is playing with software is getting tedious.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Apples and oranges man. One is a big heavy sedan with a ton of power and 4-matic the other is a light, nimble sports coupe with a lot of power. The only place I see the E63-S beating a GT-S is in a straight line from a dig, say 0-100mph. I think the GT-S will take the E63 in every other category including 60-130 rolls simply due to it weighing in nearly 1000 pounds less...also keep in mind the 506hp rating on the GT-S is a lowball number, they are really making north of 560-570hp as several of us have discovered after dyno testing our stock GT's. The GT is going to turn more head as in my opinion it is one of the best looking cars on the road. The right answer is to buy both
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
".....the right answer is to buy both."

Indeed. If the OP can afford one, he/she can afford both.

Apart from that, the OP's premise is absurd. I suspect a youngster - in age, or intellect - who's trolling for personal amusement. His/her first thread, "ground clearance" was suspicious. This is more of the same.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 AM

Mercedes E350
Rsalco, chill. This was a legit question, as was my ground clearance one. Don't insult me because we don't know each other. Rather, take it as a compliment that I asked your opinion. So I'm gonna let your comment about trolls, young or whatever go. Cool? Ultimately all of this is my decision. I'm just looking at it from multiple angles.

Ground clearance question has to do with my driveway and neighborhood speed bumps. Looks like all that will be fine.

I cannot buy both. I have to choose one. I've driven the GTS in the three avail variants on the road (since it came out). It is a "dream car" and as such I have already ordered it but have time to change my mind. I currently have an E. it's underpowered, but a good reliable car. So I was just asking because I've never owned an E63.

So further advice is welcome. Negative baseless insults are not. Doesn't get any clearer than that.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
Apples and oranges man. One is a big heavy sedan with a ton of power and 4-matic the other is a light, nimble sports coupe with a lot of power. The only place I see the E63-S beating a GT-S is in a straight line from a dig, say 0-100mph. I think the GT-S will take the E63 in every other category including 60-130 rolls simply due to it weighing in nearly 1000 pounds less...also keep in mind the 506hp rating on the GT-S is a lowball number, they are really making north of 560-570hp as several of us have discovered after dyno testing our stock GT's. The GT is going to turn more head as in my opinion it is one of the best looking cars on the road. The right answer is to buy both

Pretty much nailed it Jim, as I expected you would. To the rest lets not also forget that the new E63S with all that "rated" hp and tq still has the power robbing, terribly inefficient MCT transmission. The hope and prayer would be that they fixed the TCU on the car to make it smoother and more responsive to the driver's input. Because after 5 MCT's its pretty hard to compare it to the likes of a DCT. While we all know the GTS is underrated, I do have to think that the DCT and its highly efficient capabilities delivers power to the street so much better.

With that being said, they are in two different segments and price points and serve completely different purposes. To me the E is a blown up C and all the sedan series are starting to blend in my eyes. But its a usable car on a completely different level than a GTS. I would never have a GTS as my only car but again that's me.

Last edited by Vic55; 10-27-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Rsalco, chill. This was a legit question, as was my ground clearance one. Don't insult me because we don't know each other. Rather, take it as a compliment that I asked your opinion. So I'm gonna let your comment about trolls, young or whatever go. Cool? Ultimately all of this is my decision. I'm just looking at it from multiple angles.

Ground clearance question has to do with my driveway and neighborhood speed bumps. Looks like all that will be fine.

I cannot buy both. I have to choose one. I've driven the GTS in the three avail variants on the road (since it came out). It is a "dream car" and as such I have already ordered it but have time to change my mind. I currently have an E. it's underpowered, but a good reliable car. So I was just asking because I've never owned an E63.

So further advice is welcome. Negative baseless insults are not. Doesn't get any clearer than that.

Comparing a 4-door sedan to a purpose-built sports car is a troll's question. That's the truth. All the more so if as you say, you've already ordered the GT. I apologize for offending you, but 'if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.......'

FWIW, I've had 2 E63's, and an SL63, before the current GT S. Along with my track car, a race-prepped Z06 'Vette. There is simply no way to put an E63 in the same conversation with a GT [S]. They are planets apart. If it's any help, I describe the GT as a more sophisticated 'Vette, at a considerably higher price point, or, a more practical Porsche, at a lower price point. I don't make any comparison with my Z06 because it is a modified race car.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Mercedes E350
This is the type of information needed. Thanks to all of you! I've read your posts on other threads and it's all good stuff.

Rsalco: no prob. I see where it's easy to assume I'm just some dude wasting people's time based on my questions so far. Thankfully I'm not. That's why I didn't share much about myself. Wanted to discuss the nitty gritty without the fluff. Yes it has been ordered and I do have a little window of consideration.

I like the comparisons. A jack of all trades is a master of none (that would be the E class). The GTS is more like a laser (very focused and precise). Those are the conclusions I'm making based on what you all have said. E class is a sleeper, GTS is a show stopper. Tough decision. I'm not a tack guy, but more an enthusiast. Whoever made the Porsche-Corvette analogy, bam! That's it. Gives much to think about. it's just gonna be a personal decision. Apple/orange.

Let me ask you all another question. What would you keep forever? AMG GTS or 911 Targa(new style). Sorry to the Vette folks. It's an awesome car but not for me.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 PM

Mercedes E350
Vic that's what I suspected, faster transmission change the game if the new e63 has dct, which probably not?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Vic that's what I suspected, faster transmission change the game if the new e63 has dct, which probably not?

It does not... it has a 9 speed MCT.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I have both although my E63S is in wagon format because I actually haul stuff now and then.

Vic and Jim are right on the money. Two very different cars that do very well in their respective categories. If I could only have one it would be the E63S because it offers more overall functionality for my needs.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Vic55
To me the E is a blown up C and all the sedan series are starting to blend in my eyes. But its a usable car on a completely different level than a GTS. I would never have a GTS as my only car but again that's me.
I have to agree, I can't tell the difference between the new sedan C's, E's and even S class when standing 20 feet away, they look identical. They all used to have distinctive differences, I remember when I saw the first W210 E class in person, what a stunning and unique car that looked like nothing else in MB's lineup. The two best looking vehicles in MB's current line up in my opinion are the GT and the S63 Coupe.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:48 PM

Re. GT S or targa P-car....for me the GT S is the keeper. But, I'm a child of the '60's, totally hung up on V-8's. And to me, that's the signature motor for AMG. I'm sure the new generation of AMG-version V6's perform, I've driven the AMG C43 briefly, but...but, it's missin' 2 cylinders man!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43

Two totally different cars, you really have to drive both and think to what would fit your needs best. If you need 4 seats and are going to daily drive but want to drag race or rip around town, the E63 is the one. If you only need 2 seats and have a daily driver, want to track the car on occasions then the GTs is for you. I love my 14' E63s, its a beast and with a mild tune and Renntech exhaust, it rips and sounds soo good. I use it when I need 4 seats or on Holidays/special occasions, but now that I have a Porsche GT3, I don't see myself driving it as much around town. . The new E63 looks killer,inside and out, and the HP/TQ numbers are definitely underrated, its making more than what they say. As for why the E is tuned to make more power, definitely because of the weight, awd, and trans(horrible, imo). The performance specs are saying that it should only be slightly faster than the current E63,, so the GTs is still a faster car. From a dig, I think the Gts will still win because of the torque limiting that the E has, its awd but still only allows so much power out of the hole. 11:40's stock GTs, 11:80's for the E63s( typically, better results with better drivers, but the average.. yes, they both have been faster stock). If you plan on tuning the E, maybe look at the 14-16 E63's because I think tuners can squeeze more power out of the M157 5.5 than the newer/smaller 4.0.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I've owned and tracked a tuned e63s. It was a beast. I loved it dearly and made the mistake of getting rid of it to try a Tesla. Long story short I'm back in a 2017 GTS after a short hiatus. The two vehicles couldn't be more different. I agree with Jrcart both would be a dream come true but not likely for most of us... amg350 I did the same thing with the GTS, I had to drive it home to see if the ground clearance was am issue and thank god it wasn't. I loved my e63 and I'm in love with my GTS. I'm thrilled to be in it now and most likely will be in an e63 later again in a few years...