Build dates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Build dates

There's a common refrain here, "what was your manufacture date?"

For those that are asking or keeping track, is there any correlation between a certain build date range and the quality issues?

A lot of Edition 1's have had issues, what were their general build dates?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Gfunk808
There's a common refrain here, "what was your manufacture date?"

For those that are asking or keeping track, is there any correlation between a certain build date range and the quality issues?

A lot of Edition 1's have had issues, what were their general build dates?
To my knowledge, this statement isn't true. Can you cite your source?

The reason for asking the manufacture date is that all of the serious GTS launch issues affecting some GTS E1's and some other GTS CARS were identified and resolved by mid June 2015. As you would expect there were many GTS cars manufactured during the early period that were not sold and remained in inventory at the dealers. When these early manufactured cars were sold over time and the issues cropped up and they were addressed.

When new(er) issues crop up and are reported on this and the PL site, the manufacture date is one way for us non MB AMG people to discern if the issue is isolated or might affect several member and non member vehicles.

I hope this info answers your questions.

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-10-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Just a general observation from the line of questioning that I've heard around the Ed 1, not statistically significant of course.

The June 2015 delineation feels about right, anyone have other thoughts?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Gfunk808
Just a general observation from the line of questioning that I've heard around the Ed 1, not statistically significant of course.

The June 2015 delineation feels about right, anyone have other thoughts?
Don't worry about him, and you are correct a lot of Ed 1's had issues both big and small ranging from little vibrations and noises up to a blown motor. I had several issues with my Ed1 ranging from the car needing to be towed to the dealership twice(once the day I took delivery), exhaust failure and leaking rear main seal and a handful of other small problems. Problems were not isolated to only Ed1 cars, many early build GT-S's have had their fair share of problems. Several dealer and manufacturer buy backs(lemon law). Some of these guys that own them or have one order just get a little butthurt when those of us who had issues air our dirty laundry. Take a look at my sig and the all the AMG's I have owned, my Edition 1 GT-S was by far the worst AMG I have owned in terms of reliability. There have been other guys on here and the PL that have stated the same or similar things.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Ahh yes. One undocumented blown engine.

And from The GT3RS forum of blown engines, enjoy 140 pages of Porsche engine woes

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-replaced.html
Old 11-10-2016, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Ahh yes. One undocumented blown engine.

And from The GT3RS forum of blown engines, enjoy 140 pages of Porsche engine woes

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-replaced.html
I too have never seen documented particulars about this blown engine. More along the lines of what someone said to someone who told it to someone... Not saying there isn't a blown engine...but I would like to know firsthand information.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by jrcart
Don't worry about him, and you are correct a lot of Ed 1's had issues both big and small ranging from little vibrations and noises up to a blown motor. I had several issues with my Ed1 ranging from the car needing to be towed to the dealership twice(once the day I took delivery), exhaust failure and leaking rear main seal and a handful of other small problems. Problems were not isolated to only Ed1 cars, many early build GT-S's have had their fair share of problems. Several dealer and manufacturer buy backs(lemon law). Some of these guys that own them or have one order just get a little butthurt when those of us who had issues air our dirty laundry. Take a look at my sig and the all the AMG's I have owned, my Edition 1 GT-S was by far the worst AMG I have owned in terms of reliability. There have been other guys on here and the PL that have stated the same or similar things.
Amazing Cart that you own one and continue with your 2 year yawn about AMG, without one comment about how all GT3s recently had engines replaced.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Amazing Cart that you own one and continue with your 2 year yawn about AMG, without one comment about how all GT3s recently had engines replaced.
2 year yawn???? I got rid of my GT-S under a year ago, I never complained about AMG quality issues prior to taking delivery of my POS GT-S Edition 1. As for the Porsche, didn't we have that discussion on another thread a week or two ago? Didn't I agree with you on the replaced engines? Although I did point out that you were wrong about the reason the engines were replaced being connecting rod related and not valve train related as you stated and I also pointed out that it was 2014's and not 2014-2016's as you keep calling out....details, details, details. I also seem to recall me stating that my gripe with AMG is because they are not owning up to the problems, rather they are ignoring people by trying to sweep the issues under the rug and by silencing the people that have had problems by banning them and putting them on probation on the AMG PL. Porsche owned up to the problem and replaced every engine whether it was affected or not as a proactive measure, meanwhile AMG is trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. I can't wait until you have your first problem with your GT and I get to say I told you so....trust me the day is coming.

Also, I have a guy that lives in the subdivision next to mine, he too has an Edition 1 and guess what, his car has been at the dealership with an electrical problem for over two weeks now. His car was also affected by the torque tube failure recall as well as a fuel tank leak of some sort. There are dozens and dozens of documented issues with these cars both here and on the AMG PL, in my opinion way too many issues for such a low production volume car that has been on the road for under 18 months.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by jrcart
2 year yawn???? I got rid of my GT-S under a year ago, I never complained about AMG quality issues prior to taking delivery of my POS GT-S Edition 1. As for the Porsche, didn't we have that discussion on another thread a week or two ago? Didn't I agree with you on the replaced engines? Although I did point out that you were wrong about the reason the engines were replaced being connecting rod related and not valve train related as you stated and I also pointed out that it was 2014's and not 2014-2016's as you keep calling out....details, details, details. I also seem to recall me stating that my gripe with AMG is because they are not owning up to the problems, rather they are ignoring people by trying to sweep the issues under the rug and by silencing the people that have had problems by banning them and putting them on probation on the AMG PL. Porsche owned up to the problem and replaced every engine whether it was affected or not as a proactive measure, meanwhile AMG is trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. I can't wait until you have your first problem with your GT and I get to say I told you so....trust me the day is coming.

Also, I have a guy that lives in the subdivision next to mine, he too has an Edition 1 and guess what, his car has been at the dealership with an electrical problem for over two weeks now. His car was also affected by the torque tube failure recall as well as a fuel tank leak of some sort. There are dozens and dozens of documented issues with these cars both here and on the AMG PL, in my opinion way too many issues for such a low production volume car that has been on the road for under 18 months.
JRCART I think we're beating a dead horse here. You are 100% correct period, but somehow MB/AMG has been able to bamboozle people into this kind of thinking.

All car manufacturers have issues, but it's the way they handle them that sets them apart. MB/AMG and PORSCHE are in two different leagues.

I also love that some people actually compare porsche 911/GT cars to the AMG GT. Some talk about the exclusivity of the AMG that there are numerous 911 cars around. Some talk about issues with the porsche cars.

Hard for me to wrap my head around this crap. Porsche has been building the 911 for about 50 years. It has become one of the most popular sports cars on the planet. AMG has been building the GT car for a couple of years, so what car are you going to see more of. Over fifty years your going to have some issues, but the issues with the AMG GT cars, in such a short time, is just embarrassing. It's not just one specific failure with the car. The car has had numerous issues throughout the car.

As a long time supporter, as you have been, of AMG I hope things improve. Time will tell, but there current all around direction with the brand is not overly encouraging.