Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amg gt vs gts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
It makes the car go faster. For those of us who drive in the real world, and solely on public streets, in my view the extra horsepower is more about ego than anything else.

Heresy! You may feel free to attack me now.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah it’s racier, and the 17s have the faster grill.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 04-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gt
Umm. It changes the suspension. That really is what I was interested in hearing about. Has anyone driven a GTS in Race mode on the track. If so does it turn off a significant amount of the nannys?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:16 PM

gt
Unhappy

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Yeah it’s racier, and the 17s have the faster grill.
Well I have 2017 GT. Does not have the vertical grill.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:34 PM

gt
Here is what I found on Race mode:

"RACE" mode reserved exclusively for the GT S
Only the GT S is equipped with the "RACE" transmission mode: the response characteristics of the 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine and the accelerator are now even more immediate. The exhaust system, suspension and steering remain at "Sport +" level, while 3-stage ESP® changes to "SPORT Handling Mode" and allows wider drift angles. The ECO start/stop function is inactive. The transmission activates "Race" mode, which is configured to maintain a high engine speed in the lowest possible gear when driving at racetrack speeds.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM

gt
Here is what I found on Race mode:

"RACE" mode reserved exclusively for the GT S
Only the GT S is equipped with the "RACE" transmission mode: the response characteristics of the 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine and the accelerator are now even more immediate. The exhaust system, suspension and steering remain at "Sport +" level, while 3-stage ESP® changes to "SPORT Handling Mode" and allows wider drift angles. The ECO start/stop function is inactive. The transmission activates "Race" mode, which is configured to maintain a high engine speed in the lowest possible gear when driving at racetrack speeds.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 PM

gt
Does anyone know if you can program the transmission like "Race mode " in the GTS into the individual mode on the GT? Here is the info on individual mode:
"Individual" mode
Over and above the preconfigured modes, the "Individual" transmission mode makes it possible to vary individual parameters for the engine, exhaust system, damper settings, transmission mode and 3-stage ESP®. The driver is able to configure the GT to personal requirements and conveniently store the desired configurations in the memory. The following combination is possible, for example: the shock absorbers in "Comfort", the engine in "Sport", the transmission mode in "M", 3-stage ESP® in "SPORT Handling Mode" and the exhaust system in "Sport +".
Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM

gt
Question

Originally Posted by California John
More than that actually. Going through the different builds possible on Mercedes' AMG site will reveal them. One of the ones I think is important is the AMG Dynamic Plus Package. Of the suite of 4 features included, in my opinion one is especially important. It is Dynamic Engine and Transmissions Mounts. This is from the description on the web site: "A suite of features further elevates performance with the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package. Chief among them are computer-controlled dynamic engine and transmission mounts. Filled with magnetorheological fluid that can be stiffened progressively via electrical current. By individually optimizing their support, they can maximize handling precision in extreme driving, yet deliver smooth refinement in normal driving."

One of the other features in the Dynamic Plus Package gives "more negative front-wheel camber for crisper, more direct response in the most athletic of driving situations."

Of course whether any of these features (or the others) included in the Dynamic Plus Package are useful or desirable to you is another question...but there are some significant differences between the two models.
I have "AMG Adaptive Suspension" on my GT. Is this the same as "Dynamic Plus Package"?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:20 AM

gt
Originally Posted by hardwired
Hello,

I'm here from the jag side of the world, f type r FTW!
Considering the amg gt for my next car. I dislike getting the base model in any car, but the gts is a bit out of my price range. Can I get your expertise on the differences between the gt and gts?

From the mb website specs, I see the following:
-gt has lower HP and torque, at slightly lower rpm
-gt has thinner tires and smaller rear wheels by standard options
-gt doesn't get leather seats by standard options
-gt gets manual adaptive suspension, while gts gets interactive adaptive suspension

The last one seems important, but since every manufacturer makes up their own language, I'd appreciate some clarification. Can you gentlemen (and women) explain this to me? Does this affect handling or comfort?

Also, please let me know if I missed something, or if I'm underestimating they impact of something like smaller wheels!
Thanks!
What do you mean by "manual" adaptive suspension? I have a knob on the console I turn to set suspension.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Not the same. N/A on GT
Old 05-04-2018, 03:20 PM

gt
Originally Posted by California John
Not the same. N/A on GT
Easy to say but doesn't tell much.

Can you tell me what is different and which is better?. Does it make much difference on track?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by xbox
And then you get guys like FourT6and2 that order a GTR with the de-badge option.

Different strokes for different folks
I de-badged my NISSAN GT-R NISMO 2018 from new.. It only has NISSAN logo at the rear. So do all my other cars. Ppl think I am mad especially the Nissan.. but I much prefer the clean look. 😉
Old 08-25-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Merc
Originally Posted by donjon1111
Does anyone know if you can program the transmission like "Race mode " in the GTS into the individual mode on the GT? Here is the info on individual mode:
"Individual" mode
Over and above the preconfigured modes, the "Individual" transmission mode makes it possible to vary individual parameters for the engine, exhaust system, damper settings, transmission mode and 3-stage ESP®. The driver is able to configure the GT to personal requirements and conveniently store the desired configurations in the memory. The following combination is possible, for example: the shock absorbers in "Comfort", the engine in "Sport", the transmission mode in "M", 3-stage ESP® in "SPORT Handling Mode" and the exhaust system in "Sport +".
Yes, I found a away to do that through engineering mode. Was able to set race mode within individual mode parameters
Old 09-05-2020, 08:23 AM

amg gt s , supercharged c6 g.s corvette
Gt s over Gt each and everyday.A lot easier to re sell and definitely more power.Different driving modes as well.No brainer.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amg gt c190
Originally Posted by xcfisher
I believe the rationale was discussed in many other posts, but the bottom line is that from an actual performance difference, it's negligable. It's hard for me to not get "the nicest one" but after much research, and time spent in both - I ended up going with a GT that I spec'd out above and beyond a stock GTS, reason being was I felt that for the money - it was a lot more car per dollar. I wanted the carbon ceramic brakes, and on the 17' it was an option. On the 18', I hear you can't get the GT with them. As far as the interior, it's the exact same, save for the center armrest cover has an embossed Affelterbach logo (but, I ordered one ..and it was only $500 ).. One thing that wasn't discussed was the fact that the GTS has an electronic controlled rear differential, whereas the GT has a standard mechanical locking diff. Those who have driven both will say the mechanical feels like it has more of a "bite" if that makes sense, that for hard driving, it's a bit better. There is a video floating around that explains it.. I will see if I can find it. Basically, Its harder to get in trouble with the GTS, as the fantastic electronic diff works well... maybe too well, for somebody who is trying to get wild with it. The mechanical diff, (if I'm not mistsken - is the same one that was in the SLS.) the Dynamic package is for sure a much harsher ride.. I have driven both, and for a pure track car? Great. Daily driver? Not so much. The power band increase is basically intended for track use, and if you ever intended on tuning the car - it would be wiped anyway. As far as race mode? You can't use it for daily driving. It's for track use.. just holds the rev's to redline in auto mode!
Where did you get the centre armrest cover from? Can't find one for love nor money here in the UK.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:46 AM

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I had two (yes two) F type R's (both bought new one lasted a week the other 800 miles, I gave that one to my girlfriend she gave it back and said I want a real sports car, so I bought her a cayman s), and though I have a 2021 F Pace SVR on its way here, I am not a fan of the F type (except the gearshift lowered powered car). You can change things in cars *(power, suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust, steering wheel) and there is no car I have owned that most if not all that previous list had not been changed. The difference between the two cars (and if you cannot tell right away once you drive one I'd stop right there) is far more dramatic. The F type has terrible feedback, sounds fake (I will fix that on the SVR) and feels like it weighs 1000lbs more than it does. The AMG feels smaller, handles a lot better, and requires more skill to get the most out of. The AMG I have had over 2 1/2 years and for someone that buys more cars a year than most people buy underwear that says something.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by carnut1
I had two (yes two) F type R's (both bought new one lasted a week the other 800 miles, I gave that one to my girlfriend she gave it back and said I want a real sports car, so I bought her a cayman s), and though I have a 2021 F Pace SVR on its way here, I am not a fan of the F type (except the gearshift lowered powered car). You can change things in cars *(power, suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust, steering wheel) and there is no car I have owned that most if not all that previous list had not been changed. The difference between the two cars (and if you cannot tell right away once you drive one I'd stop right there) is far more dramatic. The F type has terrible feedback, sounds fake (I will fix that on the SVR) and feels like it weighs 1000lbs more than it does. The AMG feels smaller, handles a lot better, and requires more skill to get the most out of. The AMG I have had over 2 1/2 years and for someone that buys more cars a year than most people buy underwear that says something.
Huh? Did you post to the wrong threads or forum? What “AMG” do you have?

Last edited by Case1906; 02-24-2021 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
One other issue for this zombie thread that should be mentioned is that the early GT cars have smaller standard front rotors (360mm) than the GTS (390mm). I was always confused as to why Merc did this from a market differentiation standpoint. I will also note that it is difficult to locate performance/track brake pads for the pre-facelift GT in the U.S.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:32 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by Case1906
One other issue for this zombie thread that should be mentioned is that the early GT cars have smaller standard front rotors (360mm) than the GTS (390mm). I was always confused as to why Merc did this from a market differentiation standpoint. I will also note that it is difficult to locate performance/track brake pads for the pre-facelift GT in the U.S.
To be honest I have only seen a GT once... the rest are all GTS GTC and GTRs..

GTSs the most followed by GTRs..