Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Know How To Remove Inner Plastic On Rear Hatchback?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by ddtung
Why don't you try swapping the left and right bump stops before buying a new one?
I don't want to disturb the side that is ok unless I have no choice.. as silly as that might sound. There is some kind of interface padding between the stop and the car which *might* be damaged when the stop is removed. I'm going to get a price and availability for the part and take it from there. But again thanks for your comments, you made me re-visit the bump stop idea even though I thought I'd done everything to check it!

Originally Posted by xbox
OK, so cloth inserted and out for a drive:

- all quiet at first, but then after 5-mins the creaking noise starts up, building in volume, until back, although not as loud as originally.

- my wife comments that it isn't a rattle though, more being a creak-creak and IMO she is right

At this point, my opinion is possibly the rubber bushings that the glass roof sits on.

The rag would have increasing pressure on the tailgate at one corner and twisted it slightly, which in turn would have affected the roof frame - just a thought.

Also, I think its too loud to be a trim panel, although could it be the crossbar mount?

Did someone mention having their crossbar changed under warranty - would be useful to find the reason why?
I think you have a different rattle or creak from what you are saying xbox, the noise from mine when material is there is pretty quiet and can't be heard over music. If yours is easily repeatable it might be better if you just take it to a dealer to resolve? My problem is that it can take 10 mins plus to even start to make a noise and the sound level, without material there, varies from barely perceptible to quite loud but at random so a dealer would struggle to know whether they've fixed it or not.

Because the stops are sprung and damped with considerable travel I doubt the material in between, unless you put down several layers and/or the stop was at or near maximum compression, would warp the hatch.. but anything is possible of course.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Tempted to go for a run with the tailgate only partially latched once it starts up. Then can at least rule the stops in/out 100% !
The following users liked this post:
Surge (05-25-2020)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by DragonRR
I don't want to disturb the side that is ok unless I have no choice.. as silly as that might sound. There is some kind of interface padding between the stop and the car which *might* be damaged when the stop is removed. I'm going to get a price and availability for the part and take it from there. But again thanks for your comments, you made me re-visit the bump stop idea even though I thought I'd done everything to check it!

I think you have a different rattle or creak from what you are saying xbox, the noise from mine when material is there is pretty quiet and can't be heard over music.
You're welcone to pop over for a listen
Old 07-16-2017, 12:23 PM

You're welcone to pop over for a listen
I have a sneaking suspicion you are not next door

You could probably tighten the bumps stops so no thread shows. This should bring them off the surface of the body. However this is what the situation was when I first purchased the car ... so the initial "rattle" was more like loud bangs on bumps in the road
Save

Save

Last edited by DragonRR; 07-16-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 AM

Bump stop part number is:
A190 750 00 00
Ł28 in the UK
I've ordered one. Normally takes about 3 days from Germany.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM

I fitted the part a few days ago and removed my temporary fix tests (microfibre cloth basically). Since then I've only heard noises from the hatch on very poor road surface, multiple hard changes in level or areas where the car literally vibrates. So... I *think* the new stop resolved the remaining clicking.

Now just the dashboard buzzing to fix! Fortunately this only happens occasionally where it's noticeable. I suspect it will be too deep within the dash for me to find but I'll probably have a go anyway.
Surge (01-02-2020)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
I fitted the part a few days ago and removed my temporary fix tests (microfibre cloth basically). Since then I've only heard noises from the hatch on very poor road surface, multiple hard changes in level or areas where the car literally vibrates. So... I *think* the new stop resolved the remaining clicking.

Now just the dashboard buzzing to fix! Fortunately this only happens occasionally where it's noticeable. I suspect it will be too deep within the dash for me to find but I'll probably have a go anyway.
Might be a tweeter.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Might be a tweeter.
It sounds quite deep within the dash, sort of down behind the "ipad" somewhere. Strangely my C63 coupe had the same type of noise in similar situations. Sounds like a loose screw or something like that to me. I can probably live with it as long as it doesn't get worse.

I did go and test drive 911 991.2 Turbo S yesterday though lol Quite nippy, felt tighter than the 991.1, I didn't really feel the extra "whopping" 20-25+ BHP.

Last edited by DragonRR; 07-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Use a Chisel for the "Mounting Wedge"

I just finished removing and re-installing the panels on the sides, bottom and rear of the rear hatch. This was for the purpose of installing some additional sound deadening material to reduce the road noise from the rear tires. I also added material inside the rear wheel wells.

Alexfor8's posts with photos and instructions were very helpful, thank you.

Of course, I did not have a "Mounting Wedge" as shown in the 4785RG page, but it was easy to slide a 1" wood chisel under each side of the back moulding and pop it up and off. There are about 6 pins that hold this piece in place.

I did not remove the panels shown in the 4780RG page, but to pull out the side panels, I did have to pop off the bottom of the trim piece that goes up the C-pilar from the rear hatch. Thankfully, everything went back in place with no extra parts lying around afterward.

I may make a separate post on the installation of the sound deadening material if there is some interest.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by slk55er
I just finished removing and re-installing the panels on the sides, bottom and rear of the rear hatch. This was for the purpose of installing some additional sound deadening material to reduce the road noise from the rear tires. I also added material inside the rear wheel wells.

Alexfor8's posts with photos and instructions were very helpful, thank you.

Of course, I did not have a "Mounting Wedge" as shown in the 4785RG page, but it was easy to slide a 1" wood chisel under each side of the back moulding and pop it up and off. There are about 6 pins that hold this piece in place.

I did not remove the panels shown in the 4780RG page, but to pull out the side panels, I did have to pop off the bottom of the trim piece that goes up the C-pilar from the rear hatch. Thankfully, everything went back in place with no extra parts lying around afterward.

I may make a separate post on the installation of the sound deadening material if there is some interest.
I would be curious to see the work you've done Gordon plus I didn't have time to do any pics of the work I did. Always useful for others to see what is behind the panels!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
I would be curious to see the work you've done Gordon plus I didn't have time to do any pics of the work I did. Always useful for others to see what is behind the panels!

I'll post this in a separate thread.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos inside the hatch when I had the panels removed. I did take photos inside the rear wheel well which I'll post here. I was particularly bothered by the road noise while in the passenger seat which I believe was coming from the resonate structure shown covered in the photos, including UNDER this structure. (With my musical background, I thought I could detect the same resonant frequency that was bothersome as a passenger coming from this structure when I tapped on it.)

I applied Noico 80 mil butyl over this structure and elsewhere inside the wheel well. I also sprayed the back side of the felt-like wheel well liner with DEI Boom Mat Spray. I also applied the Noico 80 mil butyl and Noico open cell foam extensively inside the hatch under the panels which I removed. This included on the floor of the hatch and on the wheel wells to the extent that I could access. All products ordered via Amazon Prime.

Note that Noico states that their products are only designed for interior installation so I am not sure that the product installed in the wheel wells as shown in the photos will last and be OK. I would not install the foam there, but I see no reason that the butyl will be a problem because it will not absorb water, it is firmly bonded to the metal and it is pretty well protected from the elements by the wheel well liner. Also note that Mercedes has installed some material similar to the Noico butyl in the hatch under the paneling which I covered with another layer of the butyl.

I have not made a long trip yet after installing these items and my impressions are subjective, but I believe there is a significant reduction in road noise. The total weight of material I added is about 15 pounds. I know this will have some negligible impact on performance, but I wish Mercedes would have done more to reduce road noise, particularly from the rear tires.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Know How To Remove Inner Plastic On Rear Hatchback?-20170719_144606196.jpg   Anyone Know How To Remove Inner Plastic On Rear Hatchback?-20170719_161912354.jpg   Anyone Know How To Remove Inner Plastic On Rear Hatchback?-noico-80-mil-butyl.jpg   Anyone Know How To Remove Inner Plastic On Rear Hatchback?-dei-boom-mat-spray-18-oz.jpg  
DragonRR (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
Use a body panel pry bar and gently go around the plastic trim popping out the plastic rivet nuts. Be careful as you have wires attached. Have someone who can hold it up while you disconnect.
DragonRR (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions
Use a body panel pry bar and gently go around the plastic trim popping out the plastic rivet nuts. Be careful as you have wires attached. Have someone who can hold it up while you disconnect.
Thanks, however I did do this awhile back now the problem was that there were screws in the hatch handle which I didn't know how to access but all sorted now
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
You’re gonns love how I stopped my squeak 😀

It was from the central brake light buzzing on the hatch trim.

The following 2 users liked this post by xbox:
DragonRR (10-07-2017), Surge (01-02-2020)
Old 10-07-2017, 07:02 AM

So hard to tell what you've done there Xbox. Remarkable job, your talents are wasted

Useful info actually. I don't think I felted that and I still get the odd noise.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
So hard to tell what you've done there Xbox. Remarkable job, your talents are wasted

Useful info actually. I don't think I felted that and I still get the odd noise.
LOL!!!

Pirelli flyer - just ripped in half and stuck between the two surfaces.

If you want, I can send you the other half, as I made two from the one flyer

Needs to be Pirelli though - any old tat won't work so well!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM

You know Xbox, I'm going to decline your kind offer. I've nothing against Pirelli it's just that my car is blue as you know so the red/yellow scheme is just not me. I'm currently scouring the Internet for an identical spec flier of the Michelin variety.

And... an update although it is only partly related to this thread.

Aside for the noise in the rear from the hatch which is a LOT better than it was even if it isn't perfect I also had odd noises coming from around the seat belt slot area just behind my head.

Overtime the noise (which sounds like a speaker buzz/crackle) has become louder especially after the car fully warms up so this weekend I'd had enough and removed the side bolster area to have a look. Removing the side bolster is fairly easy, you push the seat forward as far as possible and the bolster just pulls off. There are three clips which hold the bolster in place and a fairly large plastic locating "pin". I applied thin material tape to all of the clips (just put a single layer over the top) and wrapped the pin in tape too. The problem has not come back so far at least and it always happened before. If I were to guess I would say it was the locating pin causing the noise.
California John (10-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Quick update whilst I'm here

The seat belt socket noises have gone so it looks like the tape around the pin area fixed that. Car is very nearly silent now.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Quick update whilst I'm here

The seat belt socket noises have gone so it looks like the tape around the pin area fixed that. Car is very nearly silent now.

Good work and LOL re the Michelin gag

I have a new squeak, but Sport+ helps distract me from it!
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Good work and LOL re the Michelin gag

I have a new squeak, but Sport+ helps distract me from it!
I'm sure the Huracan will distract you even more!
xbox (11-15-2017)
Old 01-02-2020, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170

Hi, can you please repost this image?