Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Upgrade Advice on GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Audio Upgrade Advice on GTS

I have the base audio on the GTS and it's just not that good. Seems like bass and volume seem to be the biggest issue not tweeters. Has anyone just replaced the larger speakers on this car and if so what speaker upgrade do you recommend. I prefer not installing massive sub woofers and new amps because they will take up too much room.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
I have the base audio system in my GT-S and it is indeed not that good. I did however take the time to adjust the tone controls in the Audio settings and found a much better tonal quality. So at least that is worth a try until one finds a better hardware solution.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by sl600fanatic
I have the base audio on the GTS and it's just not that good. Seems like bass and volume seem to be the biggest issue not tweeters. Has anyone just replaced the larger speakers on this car and if so what speaker upgrade do you recommend. I prefer not installing massive sub woofers and new amps because they will take up too much room.
I've been thinking about this for awhile. Best solution seems to be to add a slim JL audio 10" and amp and a fix 82 control that adapts inline to stock system. It supposedly all fits in stock box on back pass side

Held off because once I plugged in the tidal app on hifi setting to USB in console it transformed system from fair to decent.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 07-05-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I plugged in the tidal app on hifi setting to USB in console
So... not wanting to sound like some audio noob..... but can you translate that complete sentence into something I can understand? Please
Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by DragonRR
So... not wanting to sound like some audio noob..... but can you translate that complete sentence into something I can understand? Please
Tidal is a music streaming app that specializes in uncompressed or high quality bitrate music.

Apple and Spotify all use compression which compromises audio quality. Sirius is much worse, but I use it for news and Howard stern lol.

So download app, pay 20 bucks a month for the hi-fi quality from TIDAL ( you must go to settings in App and set to HIFI) and then plug your phone into the USB port in your console and search the entire history of music in the App and press play.....

Forgot to mention you must go to audio screen and select "media" and then select " phone " to activate

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 07-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DragonRR (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Tidal is a music streaming app that specializes in uncompressed or high quality bitrate music.

Apple and Spotify all use compression which compromises audio quality. Sirius is much worse, but I use it for news and Howard stern lol.

So download app, pay 20 bucks a month for the hi-fi quality from TIDAL ( you must go to settings in App and set to HIFI) and then plug your phone into the USB port in your console and search the entire history of music in the App and press play.....

Forgot to mention you must go to audio screen and select "media" and then select " phone " to activate
Ahh thanks man, very helpful I haven't tried lossless audio for a very long time, I kind of think of it a bit like snake oil. My RS6 has B&O in it and iTunes downloads sounds pretty amazing & a lot better than the GTS with the basic Burmester so I've been watching this thread with some interest. I'm going to try your suggestion (well try some lossless audio at any rate) and see how much it improves things.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GTS
GTS 2016 Audio

Hi All,
I quite disappointed with the Burmester system that came with my car. Most of the speakers are in the front...nothing comes from the back, except for single one on the right back. No bass. Amazing, just putting two cheap Sony party speakers (sb30) behind/underneath the seats create a far better surrounding sound than the car's sound! And they are quite small too in size. I'm just looking for something like that I could hook with the system. It is hard to believe that this crap system costs 5K! And a couple of $100 boomboxes sound better. Let me know your experience and advice.
Andre
Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by andreusp6
Hi All,
I quite disappointed with the Burmester system that came with my car. Most of the speakers are in the front...nothing comes from the back, except for single one on the right back. No bass. Amazing, just putting two cheap Sony party speakers (sb30) behind/underneath the seats create a far better surrounding sound than the car's sound! And they are quite small too in size. I'm just looking for something like that I could hook with the system. It is hard to believe that this crap system costs 5K! And a couple of $100 boomboxes sound better. Let me know your experience and advice.
Andre
Do you have the $4500 High End Burmester System? I find it pretty decent for an automotive stereo. Certainly better than the upgraded Bose system in my 911s. After adjusting for the Treble, Base and Tonality and also selecting the Driver Centric option and using Tidal HiFi via USB, it does the job for an OEM system.