Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTR Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GT 43 4-door coupé
In Europe as far as i can tell you may be fined for not have a number plate on the front and back. Fines can be as much as 1000£/€, but 60-100 is often mentioned. If fined you will probably also get an order to correct things. Lots of people mention super car owners not putting plates on the front, and nothing happens. I’ve see some owners use a smaller sized plate, like the type on motorbikes. Things are different from one place to another. Lots of photos of super cars in London without front plates. Never seen a car without front plates in Spain, Italy, France, ... but there are some really oddly formatted plates on some U.K. cars driving around in Spain.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by WildPete
I agree with all of your comments and I saw the pic you're referring to, he used double sided tape as a temp mount, doesn't work for a permanent solution. I ordered this bracket from https://www.slybrackets.com/ . You want the mesh grill model for a GTS. (For the GTR, I'm not sure but I don't think either the mesh or horizontal model will work and after looking at the pics the OEM bracket looks like the best option.) Pic below is off their website, not my car. It is a NO holes, easy install bracket. Well made, all powder coated, stainless hardware....it's the best solution I could find...$75.00, $92 shipped. Hope this helps.

Video shows how it installs https://youtu.be/Q2xuJQWv-28

Did you like it? I noticed MB lower mesh grill is soft... Do you have issues of it breaking the mesh? Do you have a picture of it on your car?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
Yes, been very happy with the setup, no issues. Added a plate frame, also put 1/16” thick double-sided tape covered with clear tape on the back/center of the plate where the “beak” of the bumper is in the event the air load at speed put the plate in contact with the paint, no issues there either. The OEM plate holder is a horror show IMHO, I threw it in the trash. This thing is very easy to install, you’ll need to arrange the spacers/position to fit your car.

The following 2 users liked this post by WildPete:
California John (01-10-2020), Orcbolg (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I use the Sto and Sho - 1 bolt, no drilling in the bumper or grill, or double-sided tape; plus you can remove the plate in seconds:

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...adster-sns180/
Old 01-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by WildPete
Yes, been very happy with the setup, no issues. Added a plate frame, also put 1/16” thick double-sided tape covered with clear tape on the back/center of the plate where the “beak” of the bumper is in the event the air load at speed put the plate in contact with the paint, no issues there either. The OEM plate holder is a horror show IMHO, I threw it in the trash. This thing is very easy to install, you’ll need to arrange the spacers/position to fit your car.

Cool. Is your meshed slightly slanted downwards? My GLA45 is slightly slanted downwards... So i wonder if I can bend it so that it's straight...
Old 01-10-2020, 05:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Atypicaldon
Cool. Is your meshed slightly slanted downwards? My GLA45 is slightly slanted downwards... So i wonder if I can bend it so that it's straight...
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a GLA application. I'm really not familiar with the front end of that particular variant. The GTS mesh is pretty much vertical, it's flexible but won't take a new shape. If you're talking about bending the hardware in the setup I have, then no, I don't think that would work. That said, I do have an AMG GLE and looked for a similar mount to fit, I ended up using the OEM mount as the best solution. It's centered, doesn't block any air intake, is the least obtrusive mount I could find, and basically looks right on the vehicle. Had it installed as I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in a new rig. Best of luck with your new ride.