Sponsored by:

How to buy a GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
1. Yes. Or in-state. I'd prefer in-state actually. But I've already called every dealer in CA.
2. Yes. But $25K is not reasonable. If the allocation exists, with a PO # that I can confirm, then maybe. Most dealers ask for $1,000 - $5,000 for a deposit.
3. As apposed to what? Forcing me to use their in-house financing? Then yeah, I got the cash . Might consider financing if there's no penalty for paying it off quickly.
4. Yes. The build slots I've found are for January, with delivery in February-ish (but obviously I couldn't secure them). I'm not picky on timing as long as it's not like a year from now.
Have you ever bought a hard to find car before? GT3RS, etc? Doesn't sound like it--which is fine. But don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out on hard to find cars. You can call around and I assure you will find something. Have you called every dealer in the US...no. Are dealers in another state going to want to sell out of state on a hard car--no why would they? They have 10 other people local who want the same thing.

You sound like you want your cake and eat it to. You can:

1. Buy something on the lot now (which you won't)
2. Wait (which is what you will end up doing and being frustrated in the mean time)
3. Call every dealer and talk to the right person there and make something happen

Other than that you are SOL I hate to say it. Good to cut your teeth now, so next hard car you want it will make more sense and your patience thank you.

Truth hurts sometimes, but better to hear it from someone.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by texex91
Have you ever bought a hard to find car before? GT3RS, etc? Doesn't sound like it--which is fine. But don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out on hard to find cars. You can call around and I assure you will find something. Have you called every dealer in the US...no. Are dealers in another state going to want to sell out of state on a hard car--no why would they? They have 10 other people local who want the same thing.

You sound like you want your cake and eat it to. You can:

1. Buy something on the lot now (which you won't)
2. Wait (which is what you will end up doing and being frustrated in the mean time)
3. Call every dealer and talk to the right person there and make something happen

Other than that you are SOL I hate to say it. Good to cut your teeth now, so next hard car you want it will make more sense and your patience thank you.

Truth hurts sometimes, but better to hear it from someone.
I agree with all of the above, PLUS every dealer has customers that buy 1 or more cars per year for many, many years. These people are going to get allocations before you. Many of the people that want allocations are people that have a relationship with their dealer. I still think you may find a car on the ground by the end of the year. I think you need to be flexible. You said there was one that fit your needs for 25K over sticker. Offer 10K over sticker. I understand that you want to pay cash, but really, this is not that important.... Say you want to pay cash, but if they do the deal today, you will finance through them. Tell them you will buy a tire and wheel warranty too. Above all, be friendly and remain in good rapport. If they say no, see of the car is still there 3 weeks later. Politely contact them and point out that the car is still there... Try and make deals at end of the month, end of the year. Your current strategy obviously isn't working.

We could just change this thread title to "How Not to Buy a GTR"
Old 11-09-2017, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Wise Sean, but what’s going to happen in a couple of months ? 1/2 of USA is frozen.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I agree with all of the above, PLUS every dealer has customers that buy 1 or more cars per year for many, many years. These people are going to get allocations before you. Many of the people that want allocations are people that have a relationship with their dealer. I still think you may find a car on the ground by the end of the year. I think you need to be flexible. You said there was one that fit your needs for 25K over sticker. Offer 10K over sticker. I understand that you want to pay cash, but really, this is not that important.... Say you want to pay cash, but if they do the deal today, you will finance through them. Tell them you will buy a tire and wheel warranty too. Above all, be friendly and remain in good rapport. If they say no, see of the car is still there 3 weeks later. Politely contact them and point out that the car is still there... Try and make deals at end of the month, end of the year. Your current strategy obviously isn't working.

We could just change this thread title to "How Not to Buy a GTR"
Yup, I've done all of the above. The car that's local to me is configured close to what I want. Kinda. Wrong shade of grey. And wrong color interior. And lacks the exterior carbon fiber. So it would be a huge compromise. The dealer wants $25K over sticker. The car has been sitting there for a month. And yes, I told them if they decide to come down on the price to call me. The other cars in the state are not my thing: one blue one, one red one, and a bunch of green ones. If not wanting to drive a green car is being too picky, then ok fine. I'm too picky.

I'm going to hold out for an allocation that I can configure. I still have my deposit on one in SoCal. That's the one that the dealer says is ordered and confirmed with a build date. But won't show me a PO#. And I'm on an order list with two other dealers in other states. But no allocations yet.

So yeah, I'm good with waiting until 2018 sometime. But in the meantime, I'm still calling around looking for a car close what I want or an allocation that's available. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. But sure, I'm new to this game...
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Already got 2 calls from dealer that are willing to sell at MRSP. The price will drop as fast the outside temperatures.
You don't attrack bees with vinegar so being nice and polite with dealership is a must to get what you want.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by emericr
Already got 2 calls from dealer that are willing to sell at MRSP. The price will drop as fast the outside temperatures.
You don't attrack bees with vinegar so being nice and polite with dealership is a must to get what you want.
I think I'm being as polite as anybody. It's a simple conversation: Hi I'm interested in a GTR. Do you have any on the lot, on the way, or possibly an open build allocation I can configure? It goes from there (where do you live, let me check my system and get back to you, blah blah blah). It usually ends with the person offering to sell me a GT, GTS, or GTC they have instead. Or offering to take a deposit in exchange for placing a "pray and see" order, in the hopes that MB grants an allocation at some point in the future. But I can do that at my local dealer (and have).

If you've gotten calls about GTRs at sticker that are available, I'm all ears But look, I'm fine with waiting until the coming year. I'm still gonna keep calling around though.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Too Many
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I think I'm being as polite as anybody. It's a simple conversation: Hi I'm interested in a GTR. Do you have any on the lot, on the way, or possibly an open build allocation I can configure? It goes from there (where do you live, let me check my system and get back to you, blah blah blah). It usually ends with the person offering to sell me a GT, GTS, or GTC they have instead. Or offering to take a deposit in exchange for placing a "pray and see" order, in the hopes that MB grants an allocation at some point in the future. But I can do that at my local dealer (and have).

If you've gotten calls about GTRs at sticker that are available, I'm all ears But look, I'm fine with waiting until the coming year. I'm still gonna keep calling around though.
So you keep saying 'you're willing to waiting until 2018' then in the next sentence you don't understand why you can't get what you want when you want it.

Come back here in 2018 and update us. Complaining everyday here why you can't buy one is going to do nothing but frustrate you.

Have a feeling come next year you still won't have anything to your satisfaction (based upon your posts). And last comment, if you're calling dealers and not talking to Sales Director or higher, yes you are waiting your time.

Back to the popcorn.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 PM

GT3
Alright, I'll be back in a year. Peace out.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 PM

2017 AMG GT
I also have a feeling that you're being a dick. No offense. You're saying things like why is the salesman asking me these questions? He sells cars. I have money. End of story. I refuse to finance. I'm going to pay cash. First off who ****ing cares interest rates are so ****ing low. It doesn't really matter. All loans are simple interest meaning that when you pay it off early you don't pay the interest.

That car that's 25,000 mark up over sticker, I bet you anything I could've went in there and bought it for sticker. I would've went in there and introduce myself. I would've told him how much I love AMG's. I would've told him that I want to establish a relationship with them and that relationship is going to lead to many many future purchases. Also, you can't drive a GTR every day. So you need a daily driver too. You could've offered to buy two cars from them in the same day.

this game is all about relationships. If you want to buy Porsche GT cars, you have to form a relationship with Porsche. If you want the hottest AMG cars and you want to have them first, you have to form a relationship with the Benz dealer. If you want to buy a Ferrari, you need to buy a used one from the Ferrari dealership first before you can even get on the list to buy a new one. In the high-end car game, these dealers and sales people want to have fun selling fun cars to fun people.

Last edited by guynamedsean; 11-09-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
You can order a GTR with your dealer. Spec it out , put a deposit and wait. Eventually you will get one. You won’t be the first on the block to get one.

There are many GTRs in California . You can pick one and get it. There was a grey one in Cali as well. I’m sure you can get MSRP for a car that is still on the lot .

Waiting is is the hardest part according to Tom Petty. I’d agree.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
This thread was entertaining. It will be sad to see it end.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I also have a feeling that you're being a dick. No offense. You're saying things like why is the salesman asking me these questions? He sells cars. I have money. End of story. I refuse to finance. I'm going to pay cash. First off who ****ing cares interest rates are so ****ing low. It doesn't really matter. All loans are simple interest meaning that when you pay it off early you don't pay the interest.

That car that's 25,000 mark up over sticker, I bet you anything I could've went in there and bought it for sticker. I would've went in there and introduce myself. I would've told him how much I love AMG's. I would've told him that I want to establish a relationship with them and that relationship is going to lead to many many future purchases. Also, you can't drive a GTR every day. So you need a daily driver too. You could've offered to buy two cars from them in the same day.

this game is all about relationships. If you want to buy Porsche GT cars, you have to form a relationship with Porsche. If you want the hottest AMG cars and you want to have them first, you have to form a relationship with the Benz dealer. If you want to buy a Ferrari, you need to buy a used one from the Ferrari dealership first before you can even get on the list to buy a new one. In the high-end car game, these dealers and sales people want to have fun selling fun cars to fun people.
This is a pretty offensive post, setting aside the grammatical errors. I think the OP was pretty much just being a customer who wanted straight answers from the sales people he dealt with, and he got the run around. From my experience buying Mercedes automobiles (my first was in 1971, a 280 SL), dealers want sales. Relationships are secondary. A lot of the dealers jerking around the OP are going to be paying the flooring on their GTRs through the winter.

Pro tip: "have went" is incorrect. Try "have gone."
The following users liked this post:
FourT6and2 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GT
I hope everything works out for you. My process to-date has been a bit different. I am not sure if it is because I am getting a GT rather than a GTR though.

I live in the Chicago area, in the market for a GT. I did talk to multiple dealerships. They all had different views on the likelihood of them being able to get an allocation or to trade for one with another dealership across the country. There seemed to be no options for a trade with other dealerships since the allocations were so limited. Getting an allocation all seemed to come down to each dealership's track record with Mercedes in terms of actually selling GTs in the past and the clientele/profile of the dealership. I felt that the dealerships I spoke to all tried in good faith to secure an allocation, but most were unsuccessful during the time I was looking. The dealership that I ultimately went with has sold several GTs, has a high profile clientele and I have purchased from them in the past. This dealership is also closest to where I live. Less than two weeks after I placed my factory order in early October and put down a nominal deposit ($2000), the dealership received the allocation from Mercedes with a build date of mid-January. If there are no delays, they told me I could expect the car by late February. We will see how the timeline works in reality, but this has been my experience so far.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 PM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
This is a pretty offensive post, setting aside the grammatical errors. I think the OP was pretty much just being a customer who wanted straight answers from the sales people he dealt with, and he got the run around. From my experience buying Mercedes automobiles (my first was in 1971, a 280 SL), dealers want sales. Relationships are secondary. A lot of the dealers jerking around the OP are going to be paying the flooring on their GTRs through the winter.

Pro tip: "have went" is incorrect. Try "have gone."
Most of my posts are talk to text through an iPhone. I always find it amusing when somebody on the Internet thinks they are the only successful person in America to master grade school grammar. What else are you overly proud of, tying your shoes?
The following users liked this post:
texex91 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 PM

2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Most of my posts are talk to text through an iPhone. I always find it amusing when somebody on the Internet thinks they are the only successful person in America to master grade school grammar. What else are you overly proud of, tying your shoes?
Nice excuse. So you speak as well as write poorly.

But to answer your question: Unlike you I have done nothing today to be ashamed of.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM

2017 AMG GT

Last edited by guynamedsean; 11-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I spoke prematurely - it looks like the entertainment continues.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM

2017 AMG GT

Last edited by guynamedsean; 11-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:52 PM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Nice excuse. So you speak as well as write poorly.

But to answer your question: Unlike you I have done nothing today to be ashamed of.
How come you don't have pictures of your GT on your twitter page?

https://twitter.com/malibu_scott
Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 PM

I don't have a Twitter page. I'm 72 years old and am not involved in "social media." I also don't have a Facebook or MyPlace page. Or a page anywhere else, whatever the other social media are. I do frequent automobile boards and started and ran a BMW board for several years. (I am not new to Mercedes-Benz. I bought my first Mercedes-Benz in 1971, a new 280SL from W.I. Simonson in Santa Monica. I have owned a lot of Mercedes-Benz cars, but also a lot of BMWs and many other makes.)

I am hosting a GT meetup at the end of the month and the other GT owners who are coming will be able to see my brilliant blue 2018 AMG GT.

I was visiting my Father this afternoon in Leisure Village, Camarillo, where he was celebrating his 100th birthday today, so I missed the posts that you or someone else has deleted. I suspect I didn't miss anything.

Edited: I just visited the Twitter page you linked to. Nope, clearly not me.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 11-10-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: ETA - Visited "Malibu_Scott" Twitter Page
Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 PM

2017 AMG GT
I know it's not you!!!
nobody deleted my posts!!!!
I deleted my own posts because this is stupid!!!
I posted that Twitter page, knowing it's not you, to lighten the mood!!!

I already know that you are very old.

Last edited by guynamedsean; 11-10-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GT
I guess there is no longer any interest in strategies of buying a GTR.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:09 AM

Too Many
Originally Posted by jstewperry
I guess there is no longer any interest in strategies of buying a GTR.
It's simple.

Find a car and buy it.

'Strategy' solved.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by texex91
It's simple.

Find a car and buy it.

'Strategy' solved.
If you're going to spend nearly $200K on a GT, you have the right to have it equipped the way you want. The OP wants to buy "his car," not "a car."

Solution wrong.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Matte Grey or Metallic Grey?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to buy a GTR?