Sponsored by:

US Windshield Back Order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG GT
US Windshield Back Order

Just a FYI that windshields for atleast 2017 model GT's are on a 2 month nationwide back order in the U.S. Iverified this via FJ Mercedes and Laguna Niguel Mercedes. Mine was hit hardenough and low enough to have caused a crack that cannot be repaired.Thankfully I don't drive it daily and the damage is low enough to where it’sbarely even noticeable but it cracked all the way down to the edge of the glassand a replacement is at least 2 months out.

Along with that, Safelite (I useNationwide who pushed me to Safelite as their preferred shop for thereplacement) doesn't have the latest software to be able to recalibrate (this is required for the cameras and sensors behind the windshield that manage things like lane tracking and the rain sensors) a 2017MY so their recommendation was to use my local dealer. Safelite didn'teven have the GT in their system when I called 2 weeks ago so it has taken thislong to get it in and verified via local dealers that the windshield has tocome from Germany and will be a bit. Nationwide also doesn't honor MB dealerlabor rates and now doesn't want to pay for the whole repair if I choose to gothrough the dealer. I am sure it will get worked out as I can’t really helphaving to use a dealer due to the recalibration but thought I would giveeveryone a heads up on the delay.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Appreciate heads up. Shocking that nationwide is not on your side

Insurance companies vary incredibly when a claim is made. I would make change just for this claim.

Stay with USAA, CHUbb, farmers, travelers, Cincinnati etc.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Appreciate heads up. Shocking that nationwide is not on your side

Insurance companies vary incredibly when a claim is made. I would make change just for this claim.

Stay with USAA, CHUbb, farmers, travelers, Cincinnati etc.

I hate to tell you but, I surprised my wife with a spanking new 2018 GLC300.

She was estatic and while driving to work the next day a truck shot a stone up
into the windshield with less thn 30 miles on it.

I called USAA and was promptly referred to Safelite. They wanted to fix it and I wanted a brand new Mercedes winshield.

After some back and forth they agreed. I heard the same banter in the previous post about MB verses a sub contractor. It seems that Safelite needs to order the MB windshield and install it for it to be no out of pocket cost.

I understand the obvious difference in labor cost MB verses Safelite and the reduced winshield cost since Safelite will get a corporate discount.

What I want to know is who pays for the alignment of the electronics..me or USAA/Safelite. I'll know more tomorrow after they install it.

STRONG SUGGESTION: I took a picture of the existing winshield part number and if it doesn't match with the new one I'm sending the installer home.

You would think that some of the labor cost difference would be that MB includes the alignment expense in their charge.

Florida is a no cost glass repair state
Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by JSwan724
I hate to tell you but, I surprised my wife with a spanking new 2018 GLC300.

She was estatic and while driving to work the next day a truck shot a stone up
into the windshield with less thn 30 miles on it.

I called USAA and was promptly referred to Safelite. They wanted to fix it and I wanted a brand new Mercedes winshield.

After some back and forth they agreed. I heard the same banter in the previous post about MB verses a sub contractor. It seems that Safelite needs to order the MB windshield and install it for it to be no out of pocket cost.

I understand the obvious difference in labor cost MB verses Safelite and the reduced winshield cost since Safelite will get a corporate discount.

What I want to know is who pays for the alignment of the electronics..me or USAA/Safelite. I'll know more tomorrow after they install it.

STRONG SUGGESTION: I took a picture of the existing winshield part number and if it doesn't match with the new one I'm sending the installer home.

You would think that some of the labor cost difference would be that MB includes the alignment expense in their charge.

Florida is a no cost glass repair state
USAA will come through. Get your SA to call and explain that they may incur additional costs because of MB software.

Jerry, are you cool with all the flooding there?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
USAA will come through. Get your SA to call and explain that they may incur additional costs because of MB software.

Jerry, are you cool with all the flooding there?

I am away from the coast and Intercoastal waterway and the St. Johns river.

The tidal surge is going to be bad for about a week. Downtown Jax is flooded.

I sent the hurricane Irma up to you she's a *****!! 😃😃

We're all good and almost finished picking up branches.

Best regards (I'm waiting for Friday but not holding my breath)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG GT
Safelite was planning to have me come to a local shop for the install given the need to recalibrate. Safelite took the VIN and called Laguna Niguel Mercedes for ordering the windshield which I was OK with as I was trusting that LN Mercedes, using my VIN, would order the right part. There are no aftermarket options available so there really is no other option for a replacement. I only found out today when a tech from Safelite called from the Irvine location that his preference was to have me work direct with a dealer to save me from having to go to his shop and then to the dealer.

Nationwide told me a few minutes ago that their process when Safelite recommends the dealer is that Safelite manages that cost between the dealer and Nationwide and I am only out of pocket for my $50 deductible.

I am sure it will get sorted out by the time the windshield is even available.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by smrtasp
Safelite was planning to have me come to a local shop for the install given the need to recalibrate. Safelite took the VIN and called Laguna Niguel Mercedes for ordering the windshield which I was OK with as I was trusting that LN Mercedes, using my VIN, would order the right part. There are no aftermarket options available so there really is no other option for a replacement. I only found out today when a tech from Safelite called from the Irvine location that his preference was to have me work direct with a dealer to save me from having to go to his shop and then to the dealer.

Nationwide told me a few minutes ago that their process when Safelite recommends the dealer is that Safelite manages that cost between the dealer and Nationwide and I am only out of pocket for my $50 deductible.

I am sure it will get sorted out by the time the windshield is even available.
I'm sure it will. Florida is a No Fault state so no out of pocket cost unless they tap me for the electronics alignment.

I'm having them do it in my garage in case something goes wrong. I don't want my new car somewhere without a windshield for who knows how long.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Wow. Now I'm paranoid about needing a windshield. What a pain in the ***.

Could be worse. My boss just broke his windshield on his mclaren 570gt by lifting and dropping the wiper while washing the car. He says he called mclaren Houston and everyone he talked to sounded clueless.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Has anyone tried the windshield protection films like clear plex or similar? Are there downsides like visibility issues?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by JSwan724
I'm sure it will. Florida is a No Fault state so no out of pocket cost unless they tap me for the electronics alignment.

I'm having them do it in my garage in case something goes wrong. I don't want my new car somewhere without a windshield for who knows how long.
UPDATE: Well they showed up on time today to do the install AND they had a Mercedes windshield. BUT IT WAS THE WRONG PART NUMBER.

I gave them the correct one and you would think they would verify the part number with the car. NOPE!

Now we are back to square one and it will be at least another 2 weeks before the correct windshield shows up.

Murphy's Law!!