Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
How does the GTR compare to GTS?

how do the two compare?

is the GTR lower to the ground?
is there a problem with the active air flap on the streets of NYC?
is the inside claustrophobic without a pano roof?
is the ride softer or firmer? I’ve read reviews claiming both .

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Anyone?

is the GTR that much better? Have i been waiting all this time for an inferior product?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Anyone?

is the GTR that much better? Have i been waiting all this time for an inferior product?
The GTR is better on a number of levels.

My suggestion is to go on the dealer ordering site and review the comparison provided of the specs for the GT, GTS, GTC and GTR.

To answer your questions
NO The GTR is not lower to the ground
NO the active air flap (spoiler) will not scrape on the streets unless you are driving real fast over crowned roads.
NO the interior is not claustrophobic
NO the ride is not firmer But it needs to adapt to a new driver and settle some from being new. The GTS E1 was the same.

REGARDS
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 680 Likes on 362 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I would not use the word "better" from what I've read. The GTR is a better track car. It's faster (ncriementally) and has rear wheel steering. And a big wing. Other than that's it's an AMG GT.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I would not use the word "better" from what I've read. The GTR is a better track car. It's faster (ncriementally) and has rear wheel steering. And a big wing. Other than that's it's an AMG GT.

So you are correcting the guy who has owned both cars?

I also own own a GT. The GT is great car and I'm very content with it, but even a GTS is "better" than a GT. Unless you are willing to tune a GT, it is noticeably lacking oomph even at normal street driving compared to a GTS and especially a GTC or GTR. In addition to less HP, the GT also only goes up to sport plus map, while all the others have race mode, which will keep the revs very high without having to manually shift.

I have also owned a recent c63s and I can assure you the extra few ponies and race mode make a difference! So the S vs non S is significant.

When you go up to GTC and GTR now there is more power and larger turbos among the other features everyone else mentioned.

In my opinion the GTS is plenty of car for the street, but the GTR is better.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
So you are correcting the guy who has owned both cars?

I also own own a GT. The GT is great car and I'm very content with it, but even a GTS is "better" than a GT. Unless you are willing to tune a GT, it is noticeably lacking oomph even at normal street driving compared to a GTS and especially a GTC or GTR. In addition to less HP, the GT also only goes up to sport plus map, while all the others have race mode, which will keep the revs very high without having to manually shift.

I have also owned a recent c63s and I can assure you the extra few ponies and race mode make a difference! So the S vs non S is significant.

When you go up to GTC and GTR now there is more power and larger turbos among the other features everyone else mentioned.

In my opinion the GTS is plenty of car for the street, but the GTR is better.
It’s like Tim The Toolman used to say....”More Power”.

Enough Said!!

(Malibu Scott, see if you can talk Mr. Vanos in to giving you a ride through the twisties in his GTR (you’ll need some protective pants) and then give me your assessment).

I look forward to reading your event write up and ride report.

Best regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-26-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
So the flap that lowers under the front of the car doesn't risk scraping? You can turn it off, though, right? The button on the headliner?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
[QUOTE=FourT6and2;7321009]So the flap that lowers under the front of the car doesn't risk scraping? You can turn it off, though, right? The button on the headliner?[/QUOTE

I am not an expert on this, but I think that spoiler only lowers at pretty high speeds, so theoretically, you wouldn't be driving like that on a bumpy road.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
So the flap that lowers under the front of the car doesn't risk scraping? You can turn it off, though, right? The button on the headliner?

It lowers at high speeds so it isn’t going to rub while you are driving in the city unless you just robbed a bank and are making a getaway.