Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another GTR Problem... Here we go again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Yet Another GTR Problem... Here we go again...

Been noticing the last several days that my seat belt has been sticking and not retracting. Made me think of all the talk here on the recall. Since my car was delivered on 12/2017. I figured it wasn't affected or was updated at the VPC before delivery. At first, I didn't think too much about it the last couple days, then it got worse. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was a break in the plastic loop band that goes through the leather and up to the top. I took pics and have descriptions below. Since the piece in the pics below fell out, ironically all is well. Don't really know why it's even there to be honest with you. Tech thinks they have to order in a whole new seat skin and dismantle the seat as that piece is riveted from the inside. It was a Saturday - so he'll have some clarification from MB first of next week. Frustrating.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Wow, bummer that the entire seat needs to be repaired just for that one bit but obviously a safety issue if your belt is not retracting properly. Reminds me I still need to take my 18 GTS in for the seat belt tensioner recall, I've not experienced any issues with belt retraction but it's better to be safe.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by surfah
Wow, bummer that the entire seat needs to be repaired just for that one bit but obviously a safety issue if your belt is not retracting properly. Reminds me I still need to take my 18 GTS in for the seat belt tensioner recall, I've not experienced any issues with belt retraction but it's better to be safe.
I have had a lot of problems getting the work done. During the recall my dealer fixed the seat belt issue by completely replacing the belt system. The driver's belt worked fine. Then I was told the recall parts were in for both seats. Even though the driver's belt worked fine, the dealer added the new part and broke the loop. A temporary fix was to keep it together with some velcro. But the old problem of the driver's belt snagging and not retracting came back.

Then I got a call a new seat back was in for the driver's side that would include a properly affixed loop. I was getting tired of bringing the car in so I told the dealer to pick it up. (I have other cars to drive.) The dealer picked it up, replaced the seat back and got rid of the defective loop. Only problem was the seat back is now all bunched and looks terrible. It doesn't lie flat but has two very noticeable bumps in it on the right and left sides, at should blade level, where the leather has bunched up.

It's been a month and the new seat back isn't in it.

I'm not real happy. No one from Mercedes Benz or the dealer has done anything to try to make me happy.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
I think most people who daily their GTR will encounter these same issues, I don’t think people drive them enough. This reminds me of the situation I was with my first hen s63 coupe, I had problems non stop. It sucks to see these things happen. Keep us updated on what happens. I’m starting to hear the speakers cracking while I’m driving now..
Old 06-02-2018, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Dude, just pack it up and sell it. It’s either a lemon or you’re a little rough on the Beav.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I have had a lot of problems getting the work done. During the recall my dealer fixed the seat belt issue by completely replacing the belt system. The driver's belt worked fine. Then I was told the recall parts were in for both seats. Even though the driver's belt worked fine, the dealer added the new part and broke the loop. A temporary fix was to keep it together with some velcro. But the old problem of the driver's belt snagging and not retracting came back.

Then I got a call a new seat back was in for the driver's side that would include a properly affixed loop. I was getting tired of bringing the car in so I told the dealer to pick it up. (I have other cars to drive.) The dealer picked it up, replaced the seat back and got rid of the defective loop. Only problem was the seat back is now all bunched and looks terrible. It doesn't lie flat but has two very noticeable bumps in it on the right and left sides, at should blade level, where the leather has bunched up.

I'm not real happy. No one from Mercedes Benz or the dealer has done anything to try to make me happy.
WTF those ongoing problems would drive me nuts. Good thing you have other toys to drive. Makes me want to hold off until the one year service in 3 months.

I drive my car to work weekdays and haven’t encountered any problems but its only 12 miles roundtrip. Maybe with higher mileage these issues manifest.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by MalibuScott

I hear you. So MB expects a tech to be an upholsterer to fix this. I'm sure it won't be the same as when the seat was done at the factory. Stupid design in my opinion. They should have designed it so it was mounted/bolted externally and had some sort of cap or something to cover it. I'm sure they could have came up with a better solution. Most likely it's at least a 4-6 hour job to take the seat out and replace the cover. All that work and time for a $5.00 part - if that.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
Been noticing the last several days that my seat belt has been sticking and not retracting. Made me think of all the talk here on the recall. Since my car was delivered on 12/2017. I figured it wasn't affected or was updated at the VPC before delivery. At first, I didn't think too much about it the last couple days, then it got worse. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was a break in the plastic loop band that goes through the leather and up to the top. I took pics and have descriptions below. Since the piece in the pics below fell out, ironically all is well. Don't really know why it's even there to be honest with you. Tech thinks they have to order in a whole new seat skin and dismantle the seat as that piece is riveted from the inside. It was a Saturday - so he'll have some clarification from MB first of next week. Frustrating.

so sorry to see you’re having all these issues and from the beginning. I keep checking for mine to see if s recall is listed but so far none.
good luck and keep us posted.
Hopefully the last challenge with this car.