Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will GTR Pro sell over list ? Hold value ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 GT3, AMG GTR 2018, C63s 2017, Audi R8 2018, AMG GTS 2016, Maserati GTS 15, M6 GC 2015
Will GTR Pro sell over list ? Hold value ?

Wanted to get a feel for what people thought on and level of desire towards :

1) a GTR pro selling over sticker ?
2) do you think it will Hold value ?

For #2 ....we all know they announced some kind of model topping “black series” afterwards ... but I am wondering whether the simple fact that only 125 cars are allocated for the US ...will create trading over sticker...(knowing there are ~350 MB dealership ... )
Old 04-01-2019, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
1. Yes. There are many unscrupulous Dealers out there and they will want to make the most profit in a basic Supply/demand situation.

2. No. It’s not that unique .
Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
My dealer sent me the new DOG Saturday, and it said there were going to be 150 built in the US. Whether it's 125 or 150 it's going to be rare. It will be in demand which will exceed the production for sure. Those that think they want a more hard core track toy but I fear stiff suspension will turn many off and it will be a garage queen ripe for the second owner enthusiasts to snap up at a nice depreciated price ergo the GTR. The car will be fast and bullet proof but the market is moving to 700 hp sports cars.
There was no mention of any active brake cooling which has been an issue on this board. AMG will not be bashful in asking $200K+. Might want to look a the NSX-R due out about the same time.
Nah, I want the Black.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Similar thread started.

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/70...-up-value.html
Old 04-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
991 gt3, GL350, X5 5.0 coming soon Mustang GT500, GTR PRO, GTR Black Series
I was told 120 US and 35 to Canada. It is pretty scarce so I imagine dealers will be asking ADM's
the black series will obviously be the better buy but no word on power etc. Another factor will be that the black series will probably be at least 100K more than the gtr pro

AMG is having their first press launch testing on the pro's going on now and I think demand will also depend on how good or bad these reviews will be. BTW I do have one on order at MSRP so I am hoping for the best on all fronts.
The following users liked this post:
AMGBEASTMODE (09-23-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by palub
I was told 120 US and 35 to Canada. It is pretty scarce so I imagine dealers will be asking ADM's
the black series will obviously be the better buy but no word on power etc. Another factor will be that the black series will probably be at least 100K more than the gtr pro

AMG is having their first press launch testing on the pro's going on now and I think demand will also depend on how good or bad these reviews will be. BTW I do have one on order at MSRP so I am hoping for the best on all fronts.
7:04 on the Nordschlif.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
7:04 on the Nordschlif.
7:04 on a damp track end of season.

I'm sure they will do a sub 7 this year for launch.

Value wise I don't really care and its a pretty dreary subject. I'm expecting small overs followed by holding its value better than GTR but still some depreciation.

I spoke to 3 customers all with verbally confirmed cars this week. None intending to use on track, just want the latest and greatest MB so they'll no doubt move the car on fairly quickly as the ride will be too hard for them.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
7:04 on a damp track end of season.

I'm sure they will do a sub 7 this year for launch.

Value wise I don't really care and its a pretty dreary subject. I'm expecting small overs followed by holding its value better than GTR but still some depreciation.

I spoke to 3 customers all with verbally confirmed cars this week. None intending to use on track, just want the latest and greatest MB so they'll no doubt move the car on fairly quickly as the ride will be too hard for them.
Performance wise the Pro will just move the game on very slightly from the ‘regular’ GT R. Frankly I’m going to get the Tikt brake cooling solutions, and I’m considering a far more track oriented alignment this year, so I’d guess a GT R set up thusly will hold it’s own to a ‘Pro’ since the weight savings is negligible.

The big leap will of course be the Black Series: that car is certainly going to move the goalposts!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:52 AM

fun ones.
Originally Posted by thebishman
Performance wise the Pro will just move the game on very slightly from the ‘regular’ GT R. Frankly I’m going to get the Tikt brake cooling solutions, and I’m considering a far more track oriented alignment this year, so I’d guess a GT R set up thusly will hold it’s own to a ‘Pro’ since the weight savings is negligible.

The big leap will of course be the Black Series: that car is certainly going to move the goalposts!
BS was revealed to senior staff this week. I even saw it from a distance with a sheet over it.

The adjustability of the pro should always keep it ahead on track if that’s your thing but the differences will always be nuanced.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
BS was revealed to senior staff this week. I even saw it from a distance with a sheet over it.

The adjustability of the pro should always keep it ahead on track if that’s your thing but the differences will always be nuanced.
Driver will be paramount with the Pro versus the GTR; the BS not so much! lol
Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by thebishman

I had my GTC aligned after getting pretty bad wear on my tires and changing them after about 6,000 miles. I went from Contis to Michelin PS4s. Interestingly enough, the car was largely in quite fine alignment as it ends up - just a little toe off. Maybe it's my bad habit of seeing every onramp and offramp as a skid pad.

GTC Alignment after 6,000 miles
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by California John
I had my GTC aligned after getting pretty bad wear on my tires and changing them after about 6,000 miles. I went from Contis to Michelin PS4s. Interestingly enough, the car was largely in quite fine alignment as it ends up - just a little toe off. Maybe it's my bad habit of seeing every onramp and offramp as a skid pad.

GTC Alignment after 6,000 miles
I had my alignment checked not long after I purchased it, and like yours it was it great shape. I learned from Decartesfool here on the forum that our cars actually use a set of shims to set the alignment. As such it takes longer to set, so costs more up front, but once set it won’t move.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50 AM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
Price Over Sticker and Holding Value? -- GT R PRO

As posted by C280 SPORT, there is another thread on this subject, which would be good to check out. My local dealer in SoCal was reviewing the specs (build sheet) provided by prospective owners for the purpose of ordering their two or three GT R PRO allocations. The aim was to see if the builds were worthy in case a potential buyer backed out. At least one was going to be paint to sample. I was one of the persons with a slot, but with an inevitable large buyer's premium, I passed on the PRO and decided that, if I made a move, a GT R or GT C coupe would more than meet my needs. I later learned that the dealer had already turned down someone willing to pay $100K over sticker, and that would likely have been a loaded GT R plus $20-30K as others have pointed out or about $220-230K - that's the kind of money floating around in this area. They had a GT R on the floor with a $50K mark-up saying it was negotiable. As others have said on this forum, I would pass.

If you have an allocation and can purchase at or just above MSRP, and you want something special even if you're not going to track frequently, I think it would be a good deal to grab one, especially if you're not likely to spring for a very expensive Black Series that will certainly come with a premium. The ca. 2009 SL65 Black Series was about $300K, the GT R BS will not likley be that high but could be well over $250K. So will the GT R PRO hold its value significantly better than a GT R?

I had a 2016 Launch Edition (Ed1) GT S and had planned to trade it in for a GT C Roadster that I had spec'd and it was in the system awaiting a build date. I asked the sales guy what my car might be worth about five months later when the GT C came in. (I could have estimated it from the paydown of the lease.) The sales guy called a used car manager who said that the Ed1 did mean anything after six months and if the dealer took it on consignment, "it would just sit". Maybe an effective speech for a low-end, used car shop but a poor reflection on the dealership. The Ed1 GT S was a beautiful spec and my car was low mileage (would have been less than two years old at trade-in) and in perfect shape. I canceled my order and bought something else.

As I others have said, the GT R PRO will likely depreciate less in terms of percentage and maybe dollars than a GT R but once the Black Series is launched, it will blend into the GT R inventory even more because there were no significant power and handling upgrades. That said, it's never stopped me from buying launch editions or anniversary editions if it was a spec that I really liked (GT S Ed1, Mazda RX-7 Turbo 10th Anniv., Corvette 25th Anniv., Boxster S Anniv. of the 550, DB11 launch ed.). But I've never held out hope that it would be a "collector car". I do wish I could get my '70 Corvette LT-1 back, though.

Hope that helps. Good luck to those with a fair opportunity to buy a GT R PRO!
California John (04-05-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Anyone?

California John (04-08-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667

The first drives are starting to come out. IMO, not as good as I would have hoped for. Unfortunately they are going after the gt3RS and all drivers state it isn't as good. I am sure it's an incredible car but I don't believe the current videos that came out today are so positive to have this car succeed as the RS Porsche models do in terms of value and selling over list.

Just my opinion
Old 04-07-2019, 10:26 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Another review .....

Old 04-07-2019, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
The first drives are starting to come out. IMO, not as good as I would have hoped for. Unfortunately they are going after the gt3RS and all drivers state it isn't as good. I am sure it's an incredible car but I don't believe the current videos that came out today are so positive to have this car succeed as the RS Porsche models do in terms of value and selling over list.

Just my opinion
+1

I had hoped for more as well.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzbell
+1

I had hoped for more as well.
Seemed to me that the Porsche bias came out in the drive. Had this guy ever driven a front engined car before! I’ll wait for Randy Pobst to drive and opine before I believe a press day review.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
To me, the BS GTR alone will hold its value. GTR pro is simply another way to package the GTR to make a few extra bucks...like the GTR convertible.

I think the regular GTR will be really HOT on the used market in 2 years for sure!
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 AM

AMG GT Cars/Porsche GT Cars - Apples/Oranges - Both Great

Just my opinion
I wouldn't be too quick to sell the GT R PRO short based on these on-track comparisons. Having owned an ED1 GT S when our other car was a 991.1 Turbo S which was traded a year ago for a 991.2 GT3, these are really different cars. When driving the GT S I never felt "I wish I were in the Turbo S" and vice versa. I had planned to pair a GT R PRO with the GT3 but the ADM was too high and now hearing the difference is 40,000 British Pounds, I know a GT R would be all I need. I wouldn't be interested in a GT R if I felt it would not be as engaging to drive as the GT3 - just different. I love the GT3 for its unfiltered track focus, close ratio gearing, nimbleness and the 9,000 RPM. The GT R would be a perfect compliment with its brand of power, sound and handling plus a Grand Touring level of interior finish and hatchback practicality. Oh, besides, my wife thought the GT R PRO in the videos was really sexy. I drove a GT3 RS recently and realized that the compromises in ride could not tempt me away from the GT3 even with its sexy widebody and bigger wing. If I tracked a car routinely, I'd want a GT R PRO or GT3 RS. Sadly, there won't be a GT R when our DB11 comes off lease because we're moving to the DC area and we'll need something for bad weather. Maybe those guys up in Germantown can help me spec a hot AMG SUV or wagon.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 AM

fun ones.

Just my opinion
Not disagreeing but Porsche do build 1000's of GT3RS (7000 world wide was the figure I heard for 991.1) they like to give it an air of exclusivity but it is a relatively common car.

So although the PRO might not be as good the fact its limited to 750 units might stand it in good stead value wise.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Another write up

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re.../amg-gt-r-pro/
Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Comparing the GT R PRO to Porsche GT Cars Isn't Realistic

This article accurately positions the GT R PRO as a track-focused car that retains Grand Touring features that enhance the everyday driving experience. Unless the buyer will spend some time tracking the car, he/she would likely be better off in a "regular" GT R that could be spec'd to individual taste and likely be more drivable on rough pavement.

In the currently much broader Porsche 911 line, a buyer who doesn't want the total GT immersion experience can buy a GTS, Turbo or Turbo S, much like one can do with the GT C option with AMG GT cars. Maybe the AMG GT BS will be more like the 911 GT cars, i.e., much lighter, no suspension comfort setting, low rear end so high RPMs on the highway, no parking sensors, no keyless go, no auto stop/start, no self-close/auto open anything, no front camera and so little sound deadening that when you go over a pebble it sounds as if someone hurled a brick at the car - but none of that takes away from why I love my GT3 as a daily driver. BUT, much like when I had a GT S, I would love have an AMG GT C or R as our other car because it provides a terrific driving/ownership experience that I would enjoy as much as the GT3 - each having its own place in my passion for cars.

When it comes to retaining value close to MSRP let alone with a possible ADM, I agree with others who have said that it's not likely to have a significant premium over the GT R after two or three years. The BS is likely to see a rise in value - until the next highly exclusive AMG GT comes along.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Shmee

AtTheGlen (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Crazy how all the interior controls are becoming the same on german cars.

Where is the commentary on brake cooling? Seems there is a new ceramic system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will GTR Pro sell over list ? Hold value ?