Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Here Have Experience with Both Michelin Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Sport 4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by canucklehead
335 CUP 2 ZP (Left) / 325 CUP 2 OEM (Right)
Side by side the difference is substantial. ZP less tread and less tread depth.
Cup 2 ZP measures 13.875" vs Cup 2 OEM 13.25"

OEM CUP 2 is about 1" Taller than ZP
335/285 combo is near perfect sidewall ratio. OEM Sidewall ratio is about 0.5" difference

335 CUP 2 ZP (Left) / 325 PS4S (Right)
ZP measure about 13 875" and PS4S measures about 13.5" across width. ZP is a hair taller.

275 CUP 2 (OEM) / 285 CUP 2 ZP / 275 PS4S
What the hell is with people that can't compare the same size tire to the same size tire... Seriously what boneheads..
Old 05-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by ronin amg
What the hell is with people that can't compare the same size tire to the same size tire... Seriously what boneheads..
I think that you missed the point.
I am showing those that are interested the differences in OEM Cup 2 and Cup 2 ZP (which don't come in the same sizes)
there are some people here interested in the CUP 2 ZP option but there is little to no information on the internet that shows the difference or the significance of the ZP.
And I am looking at what is currently available in a 4S for daily driving which also there is not a current exact match.

This is more geared towards the GTR crowd I guess I should have said so.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I am showing those that are interested the differences in OEM Cup 2 and Cup 2 ZP (which don't come in the same sizes)
there are some people here interested in the CUP 2 ZP option but there is little to no information on the internet that shows the difference or the significance of the ZP.
And I am looking at what is currently available in a 4S for daily driving which also there is not a current exact match.

Really the GTR crowd ?
Post up tires of the same size if you want to make a real comparison. Cup 2 for dry roads 4s for wet.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 952 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60

Thanks for your data, re: differing tyres for the GTR. It’s greatly appreciated!

In case anyone is thinking of buying the ‘option’ tyres for the GTR for track purposes and are worried because they look to be appreciably ‘shorter’, and whether that might screw around with the ESP, etc; don’t be.
1: MB offer these as the hot tyre choice in most countries except for the US, so obviously the car is fully designed to use them, and 2: the rolling radius difference F to R between the OEM MPSC2 and the ‘Option’ MPSC2 ZP is negligible. (The OEM SC2s have a difference in diameter F to R of 0.8”, and the ZPs have a difference in diameter F to R of 1.1”).

I do really wish that there was a non-RFT tyre in the larger ‘Option’ sizing available for DD usage other than the Conti that’s available for the C7 Z06, but I would never place a Conti on any vehicle I own tbh. You could get a set of the Super Sports in the ‘Option’ size, and they are fantastic tyres, but being an RFT, the compliance is a little poor for DD purposes, at least on my roads. I just wish the PS4S was made in the exact sizes, and it would be the very best DD tyre.

Bish
Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by ronin amg
Really the GTR crowd ?
Post up tires of the same size if you want to make a real comparison. Cup 2 for dry roads 4s for wet.
I thought was pretty clear on my last attempt to explain myself...
I am not trying to make a 'real comparison'. I am simply providing information on an ALTERNATIVE tire choice. Anyone reading this thread knows what each of these tires can and cannot do.
The question most ask, is IF these tires will fit or **** of the ECM/TCM.
(In fact, Tire Rack called me after I ordered the ZPs to tell me they are the wrong size for my car)
I had the chance to put the two sets of tires side by side to aid in selection if anyone was interested. I am not trying nor did I attempt to say any of the tires are better. (The CUP 2 ZP is better)
I am just providing dimensions and tread pattern information. As I had also previously stated, CUP 2's, CUP 2 ZP's & 4S DO NOT COME IN THE SAME SIZES that are relavant to this conversation!

For such an internet warrior hard-*** such as yourself, you sure are easily offended. If GTs and GTSs can fit a 335 in the rear then I stand corrected and the information I provided can be enjoyed by all.

Speed Safe.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2018 AMG GTR, gone 2017 AMG GT, 2015 GL 550, 2008 GL320, 1992 e500
Originally Posted by thebishman
The new A/S 3 ZP is getting really good comments on the Corvette forum as a three season tyre on the Z06/ZR1 platform; great handling even in cool temps and excellent in the rain with a good ride. Personally I think it would be a great DD tyre for the GT R, although being an RFT I would be a little concerned about compliance. Great wet weather track tyre as you mentioned though.

My OEM PSC2s only have around 3,000 miles on them but the car seems to ride a little ‘rougher’ now that it has been taken out of its winter storage. I had stored it with around 40 psi in the tyres, but even in the garage the temps were super low at times so I’m kind of wondering if the tyres were compromised somewhat. Hell, I’m really just tying to talk my way into buying a set of the PS4S’! lol

Bish

I love my AS3+ for the winter. Never drive the GTR in snow but with wet weather traction, it is amazing. I can floor the car on second and the traction control does not come on. Used the AS3+ for track with the GTR at Oregon Raceway this past week and got about 4 seconds faster time compared with my AMG GT with Pilot Super Sport summer tires. Just got the Cup2's installed and going back in 2 weeks to try them out. For DD, the AS3+ is more enjoyable since you don't have to heat them up for decent traction. Here are the AS3+ after about 122 miles on the tract. This track is known tearing up street tires but the AS3+ held up well. You do have to go 335 for the back and 285 for the front. Hope this helps
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GT S Edition 1, Audi RS5
335 CUP 2 ZP (Left) / 325 CUP 2 OEM (Right)
Side by side the difference is substantial. ZP less tread and less tread depth.
Cup 2 ZP measures 13.875" vs Cup 2 OEM 13.25"

I have a GTS but out of curiosity, the 335 cup 2 ZP's fit the OEM 12" width GT R wheel with no issues? That would probably look awesome from the rear.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 952 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by P Rock
I have a GTS but out of curiosity, the 335 cup 2 ZP's fit the OEM 12" width GT R wheel with no issues? That would probably look awesome from the rear.
It does fit/work perfectly as it’s an option GTR tyre outside of the USA.

Bish
Old 06-11-2020, 02:10 AM

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
amg gtc 2020 bk
"Michelin’s Pilot Sport Cup 2 is the standard tire on the GT R, but our test car wore a different version of the Cup 2. The slightly wider shoes on this GT R were the ones that Chevrolet and Michelin developed for the 2015 Corvette Z06 fitted with the optional Z07 package. Mercedes confirmed that these tires are indeed also offered from its factory. But since “Corvette tires” would look odd on an AMG window sticker, Mercedes instead calls them Extreme-Performance Sport tires, and the option is a no-cost upgrade.

If the idea of having two versions of Cup 2s for a single model seems weird, that’s because it is. And it gets even weirder: Choose this option and, following assembly, the GT R departs the plant in Sindelfingen, Germany, for AMG’s Performance Studio in Affalterbach, about 30 miles northeast—right next door to where the GT R’s twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8 is hand assembled—for the tire swap before re-entering the regular logistics process that sends it on to its final destination.

In our experience, German manufacturers typically are more concerned than their Yankee counterparts with the wet grip of their high-perform*ance tires. For the Z06, Michelin was free to beef up dry grip, which is traditionally at odds with wet grip. It’s hard to fault Mercedes for using such a capable tire, and the Vette team should be flattered that AMG’s heaviest hitter is available with their tires, although they probably wouldn’t like to learn that the GT R one-upped the Z06 by 0.01 g to set a new record grip of 1.21 g’s in VIR’s Turn 1 this year."

full article here

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...orvette-tires/

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 AM

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
amg gtc 2020 bk