Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTC vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't the GTS cancelled for 2020? Its just the GT or (large price bump to) the GTC now, is that correct? I read that on another thread. Between that, and those bad rectangular center console buttons, I would jump on a 2019 GTS if I were buying new right now.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by First_Merc
Thanks for the input. Will shy away from leasing.

I don't know what's normal. I'd like to at least take it on highway and local roads. The dealer is situated on a highway essentially, so I'm good there. However, I wouldn't want to follow their prescribed cherry picked freshly paved local roads route. I'd want to talk to them ahead of time and find something close-by that I can really feel the car. It shouldnt' be more than 15 minutes I would think to get an idea. Is this your experience? Or was it a lot less time than that?

It does help! A lot!

You guys are all awesome. Thanks for the input so far. What a great community!
I can tell you from personal experience that I was skeptical about gtr ride comfort but I drove it twice so far from SoCal to Monterey and back and did not regret at all. It isn’t harsh enough to get to you. I know other gtr owners that agree with this statement.
By the way there is a fantastic opportunity on this very board by Sandoval offering his slightly driven 18 GTR for a fantastic price that is a deal of a lifetime imo considering how he takes care of his cars.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
It shouldnt' be more than 15 minutes I would think to get an idea. Is this your experience? Or was it a lot less time than that?
I'm located in Germany so my experience may be different than most users here. When I first test-drove the GTS, I was given it for 24h. When I test-drove the GTC (at another dealer), it was for 150km (I only drove it for 30min and I was sold).
I suggest you take someone with you to the testdrive, to avoid having the dealer with you in the car. I've done this consistently and never had to get the sales pitch while testing a new car. Not that AMG sales people were ever forceful, but you know how this business works ...

Last edited by mvb3; 06-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Originally Posted by nyca
Isn't the GTS cancelled for 2020? Its just the GT or (large price bump to) the GTC now, is that correct? Between that, and those bad rectangular center console buttons, I would jump on a 2019 GTS if I were buying new right now.
There are too many nice changes for 2020 that I can't ignore:
  • LCD dash
  • Android auto -- waze, yes!
  • Front camera for parking so I don't keep running into curbs
  • No stupid bumps in the back. Those bumps that flank where the license plates go. They are big, ugly, and annoying. They break up the otherwise, very beautiful back end.
There is one bad step backwards as you mentioned:
  • The rectangular buttons look like crap!
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I can tell you from personal experience that I was skeptical about gtr ride comfort but I drove it twice so far from SoCal to Monterey and back and did not regret at all.
Thank you. I'm feeling pretty confident I'll like the GTC. I'll take it for a test drive if I decide to go the Mercedes route.

Originally Posted by mvb3
I suggest you take someone with you to the testdrive it, to avoid having the dealer with you in the car. I've done this consistently and never had to get the sales pitch while testing a new car.
Great idea, will do!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
  • Front camera for parking so I don't keep running into curbs
  • No stupid bumps in the back. Those bumps that flank where the license plates go. They are big, ugly, and annoying. They break up the otherwise, very beautiful back end.
I can't find anything to confirm these. Where did you hear about this?

I think that Android Auto is huge! But I actually hate all digital gauge clusters, so that is unfortunate to find out, as I could have lived with the rectangular buttons in the future.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Orcbolg

I think that Android Auto is huge! But I actually hate all digital gauge clusters, so that is unfortunate to find out, as I could have lived with the rectangular buttons in the future.
Front camera has been confirmed in the DOG but the small bumpers are likely to stay for the US as those are a DOT requirement. There are not showing in the DOG as they European model is shown. Maybe an assumption?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Front camera has been confirmed in the DOG but the small bumpers are likely to stay for the US as those are a DOT requirement. There are not showing in the DOG as they European model is shown. Maybe an assumption?
Makes sense. I figured that the camera was more likely than them ditching the DOT lumps, which I greatly disliked in pictures, but don't at all mind in person. On top of that, our plates don't fill that space, so the one's I've seen with retro removal end up looking odd to me.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
CNET article mentioning Android Auto

Originally Posted by Wolfman
the small bumpers are likely to stay for the US as those are a DOT requirement.
Well crap. I just saw every single photo not having the bumps and assumed they were able to remove it. It never occurred to me that it's a DOT requirement and that they are showing European models. That sucks. It really is an eyesore for me.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Makes sense. I figured that the camera was more likely than them ditching the DOT lumps, which I greatly disliked in pictures, but don't at all mind in person. On top of that, our plates don't fill that space, so the one's I've seen with retro removal end up looking odd to me.

I do like the bumper without the bumperettes as well and think it still looks ok with a US plates but removing the two pieces leaves holes in the bumper that need to be plugged or otherwise. Not worth the hassle IMO