Turbo problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
w213 E63 wagon
Turbo problems?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2016-17 AMG GT-S. There is a private seller selling edition 1, he said the turbo's were replaced at 11k miles, and that all the turbo's were defected from the factory (something about a blow off valve feature not being installed). Now his car is on top of my list, but I'm also looking at other cars. Another 2016 that I test drove, had no boost (boost gauge was acting weird and car had no turbo power, seemed like it was all engine), so I told the dealer that they need to take it to mb to get fixed before I'll consider it.

just in general, is that a common issue? Should I be looking at the cars that already had the turbo's replaced? Anything else to look for?

Final question: I see a lot of "buy back" cars, with dealers stating that they were bought back for minor thing (like one guy says it was due to eco issue, that since been resolved). Are buy back a bad buy?

I really do like this car, however, can't afford a new one, so it looks like I'll be getting one without a warranty... I'm torn between this and 2015 viper, 2011-12 R8 v10 manual, or perhaps just get a new M2c. I'm accounting for depreciation on all the cars, with viper and Audi seemingly holding value, and bmw is unknown. With the merc I figured 5k a year loss?

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I don’t believe it was a common problem. The early cars had problems with the carbon fiber drive shafts coming apart .

the Edition 1 sounds like a good buy. You can get a PPI and have a mechanic check it out.

most buy backs are cause car enthusiasts get bored after a few months or the buyer realized the car is not practical .

good luck
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by euroz06
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2016-17 AMG GT-S. There is a private seller selling edition 1, he said the turbo's were replaced at 11k miles, and that all the turbo's were defected from the factory (something about a blow off valve feature not being installed). Now his car is on top of my list, but I'm also looking at other cars. Another 2016 that I test drove, had no boost (boost gauge was acting weird and car had no turbo power, seemed like it was all engine), so I told the dealer that they need to take it to mb to get fixed before I'll consider it.

just in general, is that a common issue? Should I be looking at the cars that already had the turbo's replaced? Anything else to look for?

Final question: I see a lot of "buy back" cars, with dealers stating that they were bought back for minor thing (like one guy says it was due to eco issue, that since been resolved). Are buy back a bad buy?

I really do like this car, however, can't afford a new one, so it looks like I'll be getting one without a warranty... I'm torn between this and 2015 viper, 2011-12 R8 v10 manual, or perhaps just get a new M2c. I'm accounting for depreciation on all the cars, with viper and Audi seemingly holding value, and bmw is unknown. With the merc I figured 5k a year loss?

Thank you.
1. There was no turbo recall/failure problem on any of the GT line.

2. The Edition 1 was a 2016 limited run, Selinite grey, with carbon fiber rear wing, red calipers and NO variations in the exterior or interior.

3. The carbon fiber driveshaft failure was initialky confined to a very few cars 133 or so. But some others have popped up recently.

4. I started a GTS OWNERS ONLY PROBLEMS AND ISSUES THREAD HERE that has a lot of information that will give insight on the car.

5. When looking at these cars, you should be able to get a carfax which will give you the service history of the car. Ask for it. If you are at a dealer ask for the service history on the car as well.

6. A CPO GTS from the dealer would be the best but.

7. Also check your tires and brakes $2k for new tires and about $1,500 for steeley brakes. More for carbon.

Good Hunting — There are LOTS of them out there so if you have money/good credit and are ready to go
You are ready to deal. So, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
BigApe (08-04-2021), Hetzle (09-14-2021)
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Unless you can afford a very expensive repair bill should something break after purchase, especially on a used car with a questionable history, I’d steer you towards only buying a CPO car. The extra $5K on the purchase price at the MB dealership will be very cheap ‘insurance’ long term.

Regardless if you do buy a car from a smaller, non-franchise dealer, at least mandate the car goes to a MB service dept for a thorough PPI.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2019, 01:39 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
MB C63 AMG
There was an gearbox failure in the first 700 cars too.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
MB C63 AMG
Here the gearbox leak and the driveshaft problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTS driveshaft.pdf (922.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: pdf
GTS trans leak.pdf (538.0 KB, 253 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Keep in mind you can get about $30K off on a new GTC now (2019MY or earlier). Still expensive, but that should cover your depreciation for a few years.

The AMG GT is your best bet from the cars you listed. After production ends next year, values should increase. This is the last AMG sports car that won’t have electric drive. Next gen will be a hybrid.
And it’s the first car entirely developed by AMG that actually drives well. The SLS was great, but nowhere near as great handling, and the GT chassis is based on the SLS.

I wanted to buy the M2C but cancelled my order when I realized how crooked the driver’s seat is. Google it. It’s terrible. So much for the “ultimate driving machine”.

The Viper is not a car you can drive every day and it’s a terrible handler with poor reliabilty. Also, Audi reliability is much worse than MB. And a V10 manual R8 is going to cost a lot more than a GTS! Not sure why you thought otherwise. That’s a great investment and it’s priced appropriately today.
The following users liked this post:
ZephyrAMG (10-22-2019)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 sl500
common issue for the no boost issue and turbo gauge acting strange is the in line ck valve of the evap control system gets clogged. there is another post with part numbers for a 2016 gts to help you in diag. no cel , but codes stored. i have had code p152300 come up for diagnosis. its not your turbos, they get locked out as a failsafe. hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingray69:
Hetzle (09-14-2021), Surge (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:44 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Originally Posted by JSwan724
1. There was no turbo recall/failure problem on any of the GT line.

2. The Edition 1 was a 2016 limited run, Selinite grey, with carbon fiber rear wing, red calipers and NO variations in the exterior or interior.

3. The carbon fiber driveshaft failure was initialky confined to a very few cars 133 or so. But some others have popped up recently.

4. I started a GTS OWNERS ONLY PROBLEMS AND ISSUES THREAD HERE that has a lot of information that will give insight on the car.

5. When looking at these cars, you should be able to get a carfax which will give you the service history of the car. Ask for it. If you are at a dealer ask for the service history on the car as well.

6. A CPO GTS from the dealer would be the best but.

7. Also check your tires and brakes $2k for new tires and about $1,500 for steeley brakes. More for carbon.

Good Hunting — There are LOTS of them out there so if you have money/good credit and are ready to go
You are ready to deal. So, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

E1 has carbon fiber roof, rear spoiler is black.
To the OP, if you can get E1 always go E1. LOL But I am biased. Look hard at any car before you pull the trigger. Anyway you go the GTS will make you smile.

The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by stingray69
common issue for the no boost issue and turbo gauge acting strange is the in line ck valve of the evap control system gets clogged. there is another post with part numbers for a 2016 gts to help you in diag. no cel , but codes stored. i have had code p152300 come up for diagnosis. its not your turbos, they get locked out as a failsafe. hope this helps.
I saw the post you're referring to. I have the same issue (no boost). Is there a how to on replacing the faulty lines or valve? is the ck valve the same as the purge valve?