Verdict on AMG GTR Breaks for track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
Mariano,

I may well be wrong on this but TC generally does not rely on differential rear wheel braking, (and hence causing increased brake pad/rotor wear), rather it employs the ECU cutting power to limit wheel spin. Rather it is the use of ESC that can severely rapidly wear rear (and front brakes at times) brakes due to it using rear wheel braking in order to attempt to stabilize the car.

Hope I haven’t gotten this wrong.

Regardless the rear brakes are poorly ventilated and should be cooled better, hence my suggestion to get both front and rear brake ducts installed.

Bish
You might be right as I am not 100% sure when the ESC is completely turned off. I am basing it on the fact that when I first started tracking the car I was using about 5 “lights” on traction and noticed my rear pad wear. Then swapped to new pads and started tracking at 8-9 lights and the pad wear was noticeably better with less traction (same tires and pads both times)

Regardless, rear ducts will help with pad/rotor longevity I just didn’t know if everybody would want to spend the $$ on the rear ducts as well.

just saying front ducts are a MUST
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-05-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
Bish,
Just checking, but isn't it Vengeance Racing who is the US dealer for Tikt?
H
thebishman (12-09-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
There is now a US distributor for Tikt; Vivid Racing iirc.

Bish
Contacted Vivid Racing and they dont seem to know anything about Tikt.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Here you go, from my inquiry about a set of Tikt cooling ducts:"Currently only the front cooling kit is available at $1,699 on the kit. The system would have to ship to our facility first and then to you, and total freight would be right at $200 bringing it to $1,899 to your door. If we can assist further on this for you please let us know and we’ll be happy to help in any way that we can!

Thank you,

David Crunkleton

General Manager

Vengeance Racing

241 Castleberry Ind Dr. Cumming, GA 30040

678-513-7105

https://www.vengeanceracing.net/"
thebishman (12-09-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
What are part numbers and cost on AMG parts?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Sorry for the misinformation guys. I was just trying to go by memory, and didn’t have time to look things up.

Draptec(?) who actually make the Tikt brake ducts do in fact have rear brake ducts available, so they should be able to be purchased.

Bish
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GTR
With the lap times Mariano runs at COTA, this is all the advice you need re: iron brakes.

For those tracking the car with CCMs, replace the brake fluid with something really ‘sturdy’ such as Castrol SRF; Endless 650, etc. and install the Tikt ducts both front and rear; (especially important on the rear if you run with ESC ‘On’ or in ‘Sport’). Lastly, whilst you can use the OEM pads with the above as they work well, the Pagid RSC1 pads front/rear are a worthy upgrade.

Bish
Do you know the difference between the RSC1, RSC2 and RSC3?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by jlrv
Do you know the difference between the RSC1, RSC2 and RSC3?

The higher number denotes a more track oriented pad iirc. Given the cost of replacement CCM rotors, I would not personally go any more aggressive than the RSC1s which are a slight step up from the OEM pads, which are Brembo front and Pagid rear I think. More important than even upgraded pads would be additional brake cooling using aftermarket ducts.
Old 09-19-2024, 01:33 PM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
Reviving this thread pertaining to the same topic.

I am stainless steel braided brake hoses curious for the GT R. I believe a few members here have gone with that as an upgrade. How's the delta for brake feel? Yes, no, meh?

I have had SS lines on my other cars (OEM and aftermarket), and they do feel firmer and totally aware brake booster, calipers etc play a part as well. Just wanted to gather a few DPs for this car. tia.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by LAsunset
Reviving this thread pertaining to the same topic.

I am stainless steel braided brake hoses curious for the GT R. I believe a few members here have gone with that as an upgrade. How's the delta for brake feel? Yes, no, meh?

I have had SS lines on my other cars (OEM and aftermarket), and they do feel firmer and totally aware brake booster, calipers etc play a part as well. Just wanted to gather a few DPs for this car. tia.
2018 GTR with CCBs: Added Ansix cooling to front and rear, flushed with Catrol SRF, otherwise stock, 100F day at VIR full course, 25 minute sessions all out, zero issues.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
The biggest net positive by far to the OEM brakes is getting more cooling to them. My personal choice would be the Tikt F and R ducts, which whilst pricey, could be resold at a later date for a large proportion of the original cost.

Replace the OEM brake fluid with SRF; Endless 650, etc., and if doing a fair number of track days but still wanting to be rotor friendly, I would replace the OEM pads with the Pagid RSC1s F and R.

Re: replacing brake lines. IMHO it is not necessary as my brake pedal had a firm but progressive feel, and even though it’s a low probability, there is always a chance of introducing a complication by installing the SS lines.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:02 PM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
Appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-23-2024, 02:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GTR
A more reasonably priced alternative to the beautiful Tikt products: https://ansixauto.com/rear-brake-duc...t-s-gt-c-gt-r/
I got these and had no issues in 5 track days driving it hard, decelerating from 150 mph+ twice per lap at VIR on a 90F+ day for 25-30 min sessions. Does the job. I got the ABS ones but now they have CF ones as well.
Custom service and instructions are not the best but in the end the product worked for me.

Last edited by Green_Hell; 09-23-2024 at 02:46 PM.
thebishman (09-24-2024)