New Owner, Best GTS exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Amg GTS
New Owner, Best GTS exhaust set up

All,

I just bought a GTs and looking for the best exhaust set up. I have a c63 507 edition and had the secondary cats and res. delete and it sounds amazing. Thinking of doing the same on the GTs. Has anyone done this to their GTs? Or should I opt to go with the Catless downpipes, which is more expensive.

appreciate any insights.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nh101:
thebishman (01-09-2020), wawrecker (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Nh101

Thinking of doing the same on the GTs.
Do it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/67...at-delete.html
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 AMG gts and 2017 AMG c43
Just delete the secondary cats and see what you think. It's a cheap way to go and really makes a good change in sounds
Old 01-09-2020, 01:54 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Being wide open when you push the tailpipe button on your center console you may not even be able to detect an immense change in exhaust note. On an unrelated note, it seems like your car is missing the black piece that

fits at the bottom of the front air intake.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 PM

Amg GTS
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Being wide open when you push the tailpipe button on your center console you may not even be able to detect an immense change in exhaust note. On an unrelated note, it seems like your car is missing the black piece that

fits at the bottom of the front air intake.
yea, I did notice that, not sure if that's an option or not. I don't mind it being the same color...
Old 01-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
yea, I did notice that, not sure if that's an option or not. I don't mind it being the same color...
If you have the Night Appearance Package (which seems you do) it should be there. For cars without this option they have a satin chrome piece.
The following users liked this post:
Nh101 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Amg GTS
Yea, I think I am going to go do the same as the C63, secondary and res. delete.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
No Res.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:24 PM

Amg GTS
Why not no res?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 PM

Amg GTS
I am reading on the other threads that it wont make a difference getting the cat and res delete as opening the exhaust valves is basically the same?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I am reading on the other threads that it wont make a difference getting the cat and res delete as opening the exhaust valves is basically the same?
Negative.

Doing a straight pipe/aftermarket exhaust is useless, as that is the purpose of the valves. But, doing the res delete is definitely worthwhile, as it does indeed change the note/volume.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Amg GTS
Ha so going back to my original thought of just doing the secondary and res. delete..
Old 01-09-2020, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Ha so going back to my original thought of just doing the secondary and res. delete..
Yeah, that's the best solution imo.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:57 PM

Received 190 Likes on 146 Posts
/////PRO
I always see this cheap way referenced here, it makes me cringe, to me it’s the equivalent of having a house with trash bags covering the holes where windows should be.....or whatever analogy you want to make. Just cheap, half-a$$ way of doing it to me.
My vote always goes to downpipes. Kooks Exotics if they can still be sourced or Keller Performance. No hack this, rig this in, chop that.......

To me, we all aspired in some way to work our ways up to the GT platform or whatever high end sports car platform you choose, why chop it up and half a$$ do it like we all did as kids on our starter cars?
The following 2 users liked this post by dlefty:
dbrad32 (07-22-2021), Nh101 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I always see people who think you NEED to spend thousands for simple upgrades, it makes me cringe. Why waste thousands for the same result as having a shop cut out the resonators and weld up new piping. Seems VERY ignorant to view this as a half arsed mod, unless you are planning on doing it yourself and know you can't weld for crap.

It's one thing if you want to be silly with your own money, but trying to guilt people into following your footsteps is pitiful.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 01-09-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Nh101 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Anyone know anything about the Renntech control valve that opens the exhaust "completely"
Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by dlefty
I always see this cheap way referenced here, it makes me cringe, to me it’s the equivalent of having a house with trash bags covering the holes where windows should be.....or whatever analogy you want to make. Just cheap, half-a$$ way of doing it to me.
My vote always goes to downpipes. Kooks Exotics if they can still be sourced or Keller Performance. No hack this, rig this in, chop that.......

To me, we all aspired in some way to work our ways up to the GT platform or whatever high end sports car platform you choose, why chop it up and half a$$ do it like we all did as kids on our starter cars?
Idiot.

AMG has THE best exhaust engineers in the car industry. They killed this exhaust.

I have an M5 and it’s a stupid sounding exhaust.

Downpipes will give you spoons in the kitchen disposal sound if that’s what you want down pipes for a ridiculous price.

Your bias is more than obvious, selling some dream of a better whatever exhaust.

Remove the secondary cats and go from there. IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
Nh101 (01-09-2020), Orcbolg (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Amg GTS
Couldn’t agree more!
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Idiot.

AMG has THE best exhaust engineers in the car industry. They killed this exhaust.

I have an M5 and it’s a stupid sounding exhaust.

Downpipes will give you spoons in the kitchen disposal sound if that’s what you want down pipes for a ridiculous price.

Your bias is more than obvious, selling some dream of a better whatever exhaust.

Remove the secondary cats and go from there. IMO.
I am not here selling, just sharing MY experience and preferences, just as all the chop your wonderful exhaust people are also sharing.

If the idiot remark was to my comments, then you are a goof ball.......do none of you realize the biggest restriction in the system is sitting right behind the turbo itself, the quick bend off the housing right into the primary cat. So again, jack around however you like, your car. Beautiful part is you can do to it whatever you like!
So again-if the exhaust is soooo great (which i believe it is damn near perfect post downpipe section) then why are people chopping out parts in the pursuit of volume......
But there is the do things right or do it cheap, in my opinion. Some people tape up an extension cord that’s all cut up and some people just buy a new cord, be whichever one you want to be!

Last edited by dlefty; 01-09-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 PM

/////PRO
And again-to ME on MY w204 of the past, I did MBH headers, because I wanted to do it properly, for ME. I wasn’t going to hack up that AMG exhaust either to save money.....if I want to save money and do things half-cocked, it wouldn’t be on the beautiful AMG platform.
And why on earth would you spend all that money on MBH headers you may ask......because it was a few grand on a $70+k car, so not too big a deal for the best scavenging effect highest flow headers I saw data wise. At least from those that shared data.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS
Isn't chopping the secondary cats the exact same thing as getting downpipes?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:13 PM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by fullvietfx
Isn't chopping the secondary cats the exact same thing as getting downpipes?
Downpipes have a smoother bend out of turbo housing (arguable if that improves anything)along with eliminating the cat right off the backside of turbo housing (big win!) chopping out the secondaries didn’t neither of those two.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 AM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
I always see people who think you NEED to spend thousands for simple upgrades, it makes me cringe. Why waste thousands for the same result as having a shop cut out the resonators and weld up new piping. Seems VERY ignorant to view this as a half arsed mod, unless you are planning on doing it yourself and know you can't weld for crap.

It's one thing if you want to be silly with your own money, but trying to guilt people into following your footsteps is pitiful.
I am not sure what thread you are reading, but the OP started this thread by asking which if the 2 options he should do. So if I share my experience and preference which aligns with one of the two options HE, not ME, but HE proposed, how is that guilting him......I could just as easily say your opinion on what he should do sucks, but I don’t. And I simply offered the opposite resolution as many here did, BASED ON HIS TWO CHOICES he asked the community about.

Next-it is NOT the same result, again, you are NOT eliminating the biggest restriction to the exhaust flow from the turbo, the primary cat that sits right off the backside of the turbo housing when you do the delete of res and 2nd cats.......

WOW-interesting social experiment appearing in this thread, “if you don’t do it my way because I need to justify the decision i made to save money to increase volume then you suck”.....is what I hear from the couple here so adamant about it. Almost makes me wonder if you all are simply trying to convince him to go this route because it is what YOU did to save money, and would be mad if he maybe did it just a little better with downpipes. But again, he’d be an idiot to spend that kind of money......or are you the idiot for not doing it that way and want to make sure the lemmings fall in line and don’t do it better?

Anyway, I shared my preference, based on the OP’s two options.......
Nh101 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by dlefty
I am not sure what thread you are reading, but the OP started this thread by asking which if the 2 options he should do. So if I share my experience and preference which aligns with one of the two options HE, not ME, but HE proposed, how is that guilting him......I could just as easily say your opinion on what he should do sucks, but I don’t. And I simply offered the opposite resolution as many here did, BASED ON HIS TWO CHOICES he asked the community about.

Next-it is NOT the same result, again, you are NOT eliminating the biggest restriction to the exhaust flow from the turbo, the primary cat that sits right off the backside of the turbo housing when you do the delete of res and 2nd cats.......

WOW-interesting social experiment appearing in this thread, “if you don’t do it my way because I need to justify the decision i made to save money to increase volume then you suck”.....is what I hear from the couple here so adamant about it. Almost makes me wonder if you all are simply trying to convince him to go this route because it is what YOU did to save money, and would be mad if he maybe did it just a little better with downpipes. But again, he’d be an idiot to spend that kind of money......or are you the idiot for not doing it that way and want to make sure the lemmings fall in line and don’t do it better?

Anyway, I shared my preference, based on the OP’s two options.......
I'm kind of car illiterate. But you're saying downpipes removes the first set of cats too? Does the exhaust button in the car still work if you get downpipes?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:44 AM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by fullvietfx
I'm kind of car illiterate. But you're saying downpipes removes the first set of cats too? Does the exhaust button in the car still work if you get downpipes?
Correct. Downpipes eliminate the first set of cats.
Yes, exhaust Button in car still works, as that is controlling the “flaps” in the rear muffler section of car, so you can still go full volume or quiet it down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner, Best GTS exhaust set up