Miss Furia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by Td33
Your crazy if you think the factory is doing what they should in regards to inspections. It’s a joke actually. I have bought two new amg’s with paint damage straight from the factory. A new cls63 had to have most of the driver side repainted after the truck driver-to the dealer- found a major defect. It’s laughable, the truck driver finds it!! I have stayed away from Amg for years because of several issues, one of which is the very poor quality control and the poor manufacturer support it gives clients. This is a prime example!

About one month ago I went back, not sure why, and bought a 2020 gt63s diamond white that caught my eye. Last week while detailing the car, I found a blemish in the paint on the upper passenger side hood. It is under the clear coat and will require the entire hood to be repainted. Again, how is this missed? Really upsetting on a car with a MSRP over 191k, but I’m not shocked at all.

If these water channels can cause such major damage this should be something the dealers go over in detail with the buyer. My Porsche dealer never said a word to me when I bought my 991.2 turbo s cab. Not a word said. The difference is I’ll bet Porsche would stand behind their clients and fix the problem.

The car was just serviced and this should never have gotten to this point. I feel bad for the OP, but again not surprised.

Good luck to the OP!
Did you actually READ my posts? Blocked channels will NOT cause a GT to flood!

As far as the paint blemish in your GT63S - it happens. That's why you should get any new car professionally detailed and then PPF'ed or at least Ceramic coated. Water flooding the interior is a *little* different than a small paint blemish.

Porsche would certainly Not stand behind their cars more than Mercedes would. And if you look at the stats, Porsches are less reliable than Mercedes. As an example, watch Nick Murray on YouTube who has had TWO 911s lemon'ed. Anyway, let's not deviate off topic.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by Surge
Did you actually READ my posts? Blocked channels will NOT cause a GT to flood!

As far as the paint blemish in your GT63S - it happens. That's why you should get any new car professionally detailed and then PPF'ed or at least Ceramic coated. Water flooding the interior is a *little* different than a small paint blemish.

Porsche would certainly Not stand behind their cars more than Mercedes would. And if you look at the stats, Porsches are less reliable than Mercedes. As an example, watch Nick Murray on YouTube who has had TWO 911s lemon'ed. Anyway, let's not deviate off topic.

I did read your posts. I commented on the channels in general terms. So if this is what the OP is being told it makes the MB ownership even worse. Very poor from the factory to the dealer. MB has changed over the years and not for the better. I speak from my own personal experience with owning numerous MB vehicles.

Your right these things happen. I’ve been around the block a few times and understand no brand is Perfect. My point is why is a truck driver finding this OBVIOUS damage. When I showed up it took me about 30 seconds to find it. What happen to factory inspections/VPC inspections. I guess they are relying on the truck drivers to find the damage so when I arrived at the dealership to collect my six figure car I can be surprised and told most of the passenger side has to be repainted. Weeks later, after waiting months, I get my car. Very special!

I agree with you about getting cars professionally detailed. I do this on some of my cars. I’m also very capable of doing a good detail on my own. My 2020 720S spider I had professionally done, full paint correction, PPF and finished with ceramic. The gt63s I did. My point about the gt63s is that no detailer can polish this out. The entire hood has to be repainted. This should have been caught through factory/VPC inspections.

As far as Porsche, it was good I was sitting down when your stated MB is more reliable than Porsche. Please go and read independent studies from actual owners.

2019 JD POWER dependability:

Porsche #2

MB #13

At the end of the day it would be good to see MB step up and take care of the OP without the need of attorneys and so on. This is one of the flagship vehicles and clients should be treated as such.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm totally with you @Td33 that MB needs to address these issues, and it's not acceptable.

JD Power is not an accurate source of reliability data, because it's self reported. Have you ever filled out their questionnaire? It's a joke. Completely out dated with questions and a format geared to senior citizens. For all we know, the Porsche brand is so strong that owners don't want to complain. Slap a Porsche badge on a VW and buyers will readily pay 3X more for it. One man's complaint is another one's acceptance. The issues I found with my cars would not even be noticed by most.
From my own experience, I have owned 2 Porsches and 5 Mercedes, all were purchased brand new. Both Porsches had issues. I did not have a single mechanical issue with the Mercedes. I did have a panel alignment issue on my C63 and a roof glass issue on my AMG GTC. MB offered to fix both under warranty. I also owned a brand new Lexus which had a glass issue, and Lexus refused to cover it or even investigate.

Porsche is just another VW brand that VW is milking for all its worth. Each generation has more costs cut, and more platform and component sharing with the other VW brands.
The 991 and 992 911s are full of cheap plastic and flimsy bits. It's nowhere near as well built as a Mercedes.

Can Mercedes improve? Absolutely!

Last edited by Surge; 01-19-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by Surge
I'm totally with you @Td33 that MB needs to address these issues, and it's not acceptable.

JD Power is not an accurate source of reliability data, because it's self reported. Have you ever filled out their questionnaire? It's a joke. Completely out dated with questions and a format geared to senior citizens. For all we know, the Porsche brand is so strong that owners don't want to complain. Slap a Porsche badge on a VW and buyers will readily pay 3X more for it. One man's complaint is another one's acceptance. The issues I found with my cars would not even be noticed by most.
From my own experience, I have owned 2 Porsches and 5 Mercedes, all were purchased brand new. Both Porsches had issues. I did not have a single mechanical issue with the Mercedes. I did have a panel alignment issue on my C63 and a roof glass issue on my AMG GTC. MB offered to fix both under warranty. I also owned a brand new Lexus which had a glass issue, and Lexus refused to cover it or even investigate.

Porsche is just another VW brand that VW is milking for all its worth. Each generation has more costs cut, and more platform and component sharing with the other VW brands.
The 991 and 992 911s are full of cheap plastic and flimsy bits. It's nowhere near as well built as a Mercedes.

Can Mercedes improve? Absolutely!

Hopefully it works out for the OP. Sounds like a major mess.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right. Can anyone comment on whether or not the top and/or windows will open remotely from the key on the cab?
If blocked drain channels won’t flood the car, and this was confirmed by my AMG tech (you may not trust him, but I do, and he had nothing to gain from lying. He really knows his stuff.), then the only other explanation seems to be the windows or top were at least partially open.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMT GT Roadster
My 2018 convert has the exact same issue ... Mercedes said the drains were plugged with leaves causing the cabin to get water and fry my electronics. This IS a major issue that is being ignored. My car was never parked in the rain however it did rain while I was driving home on a 200 mile trip.

Mercedes is refusing to do anything!
Old 08-19-2020, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RSKDSK
My 2018 convert has the exact same issue ... Mercedes said the drains were plugged with leaves causing the cabin to get water and fry my electronics. This IS a major issue that is being ignored. My car was never parked in the rain however it did rain while I was driving home on a 200 mile trip.

Mercedes is refusing to do anything!
That's interesting and crazy! To add confusion, my AMG Service Tech, who is really knowledgable, said there are NO drain plugs on the cabriolet, so there is nothing to clean out.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMT GT Roadster
I can assure you that there are two drain holes on the roadsters
Old 08-19-2020, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The owners’ manual does not call out anything specific to the convertibles. Page 241 states to clean the water drainage channels at the windshield and rear window at regular intervals.
What my service tech was saying is that there is nothing specific to the convertible.
Maintaining these channels is a customer responsibility - not sure how MB is expected to compensate us for not cleaning them. As mentioned, Porsche is the same.
This totally sucks, and I get that you’re pissed; but it’s not a design flaw or assembly defect.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Furia
Hi, I can prove easily that the roof was up and all doors and windows shut because everything was jammed shut due to all the electrics shutting down. Initially i called the garage to say i couldn't get into the car because the key wasn't working ( After i had changed the battery, just in case! ). They sent out their road side assistance to see what the issue was. With the convertible, when you pull on the door handle the windows drop a fraction to enable the door to open from under the roof. Because all the electrics were down this did not happen, we had to forcefully pull one door open to gain access to the car. I also have lots of witnesses who saw the car parked in an area with no chance of any debris falling on it! The car has always been immaculate. I am a very precise and tidy person.
What happened with your car, did it get resolved?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Td33
I
2019 JD POWER dependability:

Porsche #2

MB #13

I'm always curious about this kind of post. I've had both and I would rank them equally, but aside from that, the entire Porsche line in any given year is smaller than the production run of the C-class in that same year. So, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Congrats on your purchase of a 991 TT cab but this is an MB forum - doubt any claim I make on Rennlist or 6speedonline about Mercedes being a better mfg than Porsche would be embraced. Just saying.

All that said, in the US this would be an insurance claim, plain and simple (Canada too). Check with your insurance provider on coverage - it falls under comprehensive insurance; let them recover costs from MB if that's the right course.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:25 AM

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts
18 AMG GTR . 18 Tacoma . 02 BMW M3 (the sickness)
Did I miss something here?? Call your insurance agent and be done with it. My insurance agent would probably apologize for the inconvenience and handle it completely.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
I have read both Ms Furia and RSKDSK post with some skepticism...I have owned or still own multiple convertibles from Porsche, Mercedes and Ferrari... I have never had an issue with any water coming into the cabin area nor have I ever paid attention to possible clogging of water channels around the window frame.. But, I admit, I have a '17' BMW X5 that had a very small drip inside on the passenger front side near the glove compartment.. Off to the dealer and they acknowledged that mine wasn't the first and it was a factory issue that the rubber drain channel gets squeezed shut during assembly.. They loosened the left fender, put the rubber line in it's correct channel and all is well...
I have owned an '18' GTC roadster and now a '20' GTRA roadster.. I took a look for the drain channels and see two on the upper window frame and two behind the door jamb.. (one on each side)..the channels are very small. I took a syringe and shot water down each and had the water drain out on the floor.. It is not possible for a leaf or other large debris to enter either small (couple of millimeters) opening especially with the top up.. maybe over a long period of time with the top down could some very small debris clog the channels... I would think a can of compressed air with a tube extension should be capable of blowing out the tubes.. Possibly both of these owners had an issue similar to my BMW.. The only other possible issue could be the rubber frame seal from the top to frame or rear when closed is not compressing correctly... I do think that it''s probably more of a factory issue than a owner maintenance issue ...
Just my thoughts...
The following 2 users liked this post by SLcruzen:
California John (08-24-2020), MalibuScott (08-23-2020)