Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Caliper piston comparison:
OE: 34/36/38mm Total area: 61.2 cm^2
CP9668: 27/31.8/38.1mm Total area: 50.14 cm^2 (18.1% smaller)

Brake pad comparison:
OE D1291 depth: 68mm
CP3558D54 depth: 54mm (20.6% less)

Upgrade or downgrade? your judgement.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacingBrake:
ronin amg (05-31-2020), Star4life (06-01-2022)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Caliper piston comparison:
OE: 34/36/38mm Total area: 61.2 cm^2
CP9668: 27/31.8/38.1mm Total area: 50.14 cm^2 (18.1% smaller)

Brake pad comparison:
OE D1291 depth: 68mm
CP3558D54 depth: 54mm (20.6% less)

Upgrade or downgrade? your judgement.
Less is never more...
Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
Here's a little more in depth analysis behind the reasoning of using this caliper.

From factory, the brake bias is set more forward such that in the event of a lock up, the fronts locks before the rears. Locking the rears first can cause the car to spin, so car manufacturers would prefer to avoid setting a car up in that manner. However, to maximize braking potential, you want to use all four tires to the limit, but with a setup that's biased to the front, there will still be braking performance left in the rear tires.

Weight transfer plays the biggest role in brake bias setup. For a car that has a high center of gravity, once you brake, a lot more of the weight transfers to the front wheels. The perfect example is a motorcycle doing a stoppie. A motorcycle has a much higher center of gravity than a car, so under braking, all the load goes to the single front wheel. Now, for the AMG GT, the static weight distribution is already rearward at 53% to the rears. That, combined with the low center of gravity thanks to the dry sump motor. carbon roof, etc, the amount of weight transferred to the front wheels will be much less. This is all taken into account when deciding to shift the brake bias rewards.

The comments above are correct, the piston sizing is smaller. From the information I have, the OEM caliper has piston sizes of 32/34/38 with a piston area of 56.9cm^2, different from what Racing Brake has mentioned. The reduction in piston area of the AP caliper in conjunction with the new high coefficient of friction Ferodo DS3.12 pads, will shift the oem brake bias of 64% forward, to 63% forward. The intentional shift of the bias rewards is to take advantage of the reduced weight transfer from a lowered car, rear wing, and unrealized potential from the factory bias.

So back to the reasoning behind using this AP caliper. First is the fact that it uses a much thicker pad, this will provide a good thermal barrier to prevent the brake fluid from boiling as well as allow for many more track days on the same set of pads. Second is the intentional shift in brake bias to use more of the rear axle under braking. Third is the cooling capacity of the caliper itself compared to the Brembo. And as a cherry on top, this caliper is a good amount lighter than the oem setup.
The following 4 users liked this post by ronac:
MG1422 (06-01-2020), Orcbolg (06-01-2020), thebishman (06-02-2020), Xerial (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:32 PM

AMG GTS
Have a watch through this great video from the Mercedes F1 team.

It's not 100% relevant to this conversation but the part about the tires is. Tires are non linear. If you load it with 10lbs, you may get 10lbs of lateral grip. But if you load it with 20lbs, you won't get 20lbs of lateral grip. But if you load it with 5lbs, you could get 5.5lbs of later grip. In a sense, the tire is more "efficient" when its not loaded as heavily. Under 1g braking, the front axle will be ~1050kg normal force on 275 width tires, the rear axle loading will be reduced from static at about ~590kg on 325 width tires. The rears will be more efficient given the normal load it has, but the front will be less efficient with the added load and reduced tread width relative to the rear. This is a more in depth reasoning as to why the rearward bias was intentional.

However, brake bias is a living thing, to be optimal, it has to keep changing. There isn't a perfect setting for a track, or even a specific corner. That's why you'll see f1 drivers constantly change the brake bias throughout a lap since it can depend on many factors, not limited to, the speed of the corner, the way a driver applies the brakes, the relative condition of the front and rear tires and the aero balance.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Sorry I just had to..

The following users liked this post:
DriveAMG (06-01-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
hey you selling the oem caliper ??
Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM

AMG GTs
Originally Posted by ronac
Just got my AP Racing CP9668 front calipers installed on my GTS. Works with OEM Iron rotors but I have the Girodisc replacements since they have directional vanes unlike the OEM rotors.

These calipers have stainless steel pistons and allow for a thick 25mm pad for better thermal performance and pad life. The common pad size give me much more options for both street and pad compounds. These calipers are also 3.7lbs lighter per side than the OEM Brembos. 1.3lbs per side saved with the rotors vs the OEM Irons.

Hello Ronac,

I am tracking my gts also and I am suffering the same brake issues as you had. Currently I am using PFC Discs and Endless MA45B Pads on the stock calipers and I have the cooling ducts upgrade from the GTR Pro/BS.
It works fine for a few laps on the Nordschleife but after 3 laps my brake is starting to fade.
I would love to do the same Brakeupgrade as you have done but the one question I have is why the Pad is not using the whole surface of the disc?
This looks strange to me.
Can you explain why you are not using a different disc thats fitting the pad size?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer and I appreciate your support!
Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM

AMG GTS
The AP caliper is designed to be used with their specific pad shape with a certain pad height. The rotor you see on my car is the OEM sized rotor, which pairs with the OEM caliper which has a taller pad compared to the AP caliper. The reason the same rotor is retained is because the diameter and thickness is a perfect match for the AP caliper. This is nice for someone that wants to just install these AP calipers without the added cost of replacing rotors as well. I've been using the Ferodo DS3.12 compound and they're fantastic.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:36 PM

AMG GTs
Originally Posted by ronac
The AP caliper is designed to be used with their specific pad shape with a certain pad height. The rotor you see on my car is the OEM sized rotor, which pairs with the OEM caliper which has a taller pad compared to the AP caliper. The reason the same rotor is retained is because the diameter and thickness is a perfect match for the AP caliper. This is nice for someone that wants to just install these AP calipers without the added cost of replacing rotors as well. I've been using the Ferodo DS3.12 compound and they're fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BhEmTS4rKpA
Thank you very much for your quick response! That track looks great and great driving!
Just from my experience I would recommend to find a brake discs that fits the size of your brakepads because of the heat extend on the disc.
The discs are designed to be used on the whole surfice. If you have hot and cold spots it's not ideal. but thats just my opinion
I will try to get the same brake upgrade as you under the circumstance that I can get a disc that matches the caliper and pad at the same time.
Do you know if I can get the adapters for the calipers seperately? I have the Calipers left from my old car thats why I am asking

If youre interested I have a nice onboard of a Nordschleife lap with my gts.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
190E 2.5-16v
Hi JoeQuax,
very nice time the 7.15 BTG with your GTS.

It is indeed very fast around the Nordschleife track.

What kind of tires are you using?
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
True CCB to Iron rotor conversion, full OE pad seating. No trim, no cut.
https://racingbrake.com/rb-2pc-rotor...ron-convesion/

Brake pad in XT910 made for iron rotors, low dust and no squeaking.
https://racingbrake.com/pd1530-391-r...-rotors-front/
Old 06-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
Thanks for the scoop- I think they look great and as long as you like them and they give you confidence that is a big upside.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Would those work on the GTR as well ?

I have that AP caliper off of my Z06 o barely used. Was going to sell but love to reuse them on this car if possible.