Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible Experience with 2020 AMG GTR Pro and AMG GT R Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
They ended up replacing my muffler and it fixed the terrible exhaust rattle. It sounded like a can full of rocks! All better now but it took three trips to get it fixed. The CEL problem took three week and they ended up replacing 6 injectors. They wanted me to let their mechanic drive my car home, an eighty mile round trip, to diagnose the problem! I said not a chance, drive it during the day as you are being paid by MB to do it. They grumbled but they listened. I hope I have no more issues.
The following users liked this post:
mbsldallas (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by mbsldallas
Thanks Jerry. All consistent with what I was told. I did think it was insane that they had to replace the entire $10K exhaust but looking at it up on the lift I could see it was all welded together. I like the idea of getting a Black allocation - might be worth me asking the executive support person if they ever return my calls :-). That does sound like a creative way around this nightmare. I wish they would have tried ordering one more exhaust but they wouldn't approve it.
BS allocation would be a good option. Since the exhaust has been brought up a few times, isn't there an aftermarket option? I saw something from Fi but wonder if Akrapovic has one in the pipeline, given that the new models with particle filters don't sound as good.
JSwan724 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Wolfman
BS allocation would be a good option. Since the exhaust has been brought up a few times, isn't there an aftermarket option? I saw something from Fi but wonder if Akrapovic has one in the pipeline, given that the new models with particle filters don't sound as good.
So you’re getting a Ti exhaust from the factory with the GTR, so I’m not really sure why you’d want to spend a large amount of money buying an aftermarket one.

That being said, I would be extremely hesitant to replace anything on his two cars without it being OEM until these issues are resolved.

Bish
mbsldallas (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thebishman
So you’re getting a Ti exhaust from the factory with the GTR, so I’m not really sure why you’d want to spend a large amount of money buying an aftermarket one.

That being said, I would be extremely hesitant to replace anything on his two cars without it being OEM until these issues are resolved.

Bish
I was just thinking out loud. The OP is trying to lemon the car. It appears that the effort is somewhat stalled. Since the car itself is fine and AMG can't or won't resolve the exhaust issue, an aftermarket exhaust could be an option if MB instead provides a monetary discount. Happened to me one time...
Just because the factory exhaust is titanium, it doesn't mean there aren't better options.

If MB lemons the car for just an exhaust rattle, it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:44 PM

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
S680, GLS 600, SL63, SLS Black Series, Porsche 911 Singer
Originally Posted by thebishman

Bish
Yeah my thought exactly. I went to a couple of aftermarket exhaust shops. But I never do that on any of my cars. I just prefer them the way they come. Plus it would likely lose the OEM exhaust button control on the steering wheel which I like. So I am just hung up on the fact that one reason I buy AMGs is for for the exhaust and this one is terrible. I did reach out to another dealer today just to ask them their opinion. They were going to look up my VIN, look at the history and see if it is worth doing something else. They ended up saying there wasn't anything they could do. I realize this is just so silly, but these cars are like fine timepieces to me and to have it be defective from the outset just doesn't cut it. The selling dealer didn't catch it probably because they were afraid to drive the car because of its limited production. I got it off the truck, put on the sport exhaust on the way home and noticed it immediately. By then it had been two+ weeks because it was first in the shop getting full XPEL, tint, etc. I'm actually tired even talking about it. I appreciate people's concern and thoughts. I mainly was just trying to give people the heads up if they were considering getting one.

The real takeaway from me - if you are thinking about buying an AMG GTR Pro - demand that you get to drive it prior to buying it, put the exhaust in performance/loud mode and it should be very obvious at low speeds, reverse and any type of acceleration that there is a clanking loud rattle. If it has it, DON'T BUY IT UNLESS YOU PLAN TO REPLACE THE EXHAUST! :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by mbsldallas:
MercAMGgts2016 (04-21-2020), Orcbolg (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
porsche 911 turbo
I asked them if there was a workaround in the meantime and they said no.
I wonder if a really competent independent shop (race oriented) could fix the problem fairly quickly and easily...

No, you shouldn't have to go outside MB to get something like this fixed, but dealer service departments are simply not trained, equipped, or allowed to "fix" things, rather they simply swap parts.

Otherwise, perhaps "GTR Pro and GT R Roadster, manufacturer buyback, coming to a Manheim auction near you!"
Old 04-21-2020, 08:19 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
To the OP...

I get your frustration. I’ve owned many AMG’s and currently have a 19 GTC. At one point I even worked locally in sales for MB. While I love my car, I am getting tired of the constant small/med fixes that these cars need. It saps the enjoyment from owning them. While I don’t have the exhaust rattle, I do have the engine oil smell issue and am currently waiting for parts from Germany. That being said, after 12 AMG’s I have decided if the motivation to own one disappears because of service issues I will be moving on to another brand. I really hope I don’t have to trade soul for reliability... fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited by DriveAMG; 04-21-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
mbsldallas (04-23-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Agree about the BS allocation as a sort of compensation for all this grief.
I doubt it happens though (unless he is already at the top of the list) as less then half of US dealers will get BS allocated to them and it will be 1 (one) car only regardless of how big the dealer is.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Yeah my thought exactly. I went to a couple of aftermarket exhaust shops. But I never do that on any of my cars. I just prefer them the way they come. Plus it would likely lose the OEM exhaust button control on the steering wheel which I like. So I am just hung up on the fact that one reason I buy AMGs is for for the exhaust and this one is terrible. I did reach out to another dealer today just to ask them their opinion. They were going to look up my VIN, look at the history and see if it is worth doing something else. They ended up saying there wasn't anything they could do. I realize this is just so silly, but these cars are like fine timepieces to me and to have it be defective from the outset just doesn't cut it. The selling dealer didn't catch it probably because they were afraid to drive the car because of its limited production. I got it off the truck, put on the sport exhaust on the way home and noticed it immediately. By then it had been two+ weeks because it was first in the shop getting full XPEL, tint, etc. I'm actually tired even talking about it. I appreciate people's concern and thoughts. I mainly was just trying to give people the heads up if they were considering getting one.

The real takeaway from me - if you are thinking about buying an AMG GTR Pro - demand that you get to drive it prior to buying it, put the exhaust in performance/loud mode and it should be very obvious at low speeds, reverse and any type of acceleration that there is a clanking loud rattle. If it has it, DON'T BUY IT UNLESS YOU PLAN TO REPLACE THE EXHAUST! :-)
I did ask you before, but if you’re in the Kansas City area, make sure you are using Aristocrat for service as they have an AMG tech.

In your position it’s time to turn everything over to an attorney. MB can not Avoid working on the car just to stop breaching the LL criteria.

Good luck!

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
mbsldallas (04-23-2020), Orcbolg (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts
95 SL600
Originally Posted by pfbz
I wonder if a really competent independent shop (race oriented) could fix the problem fairly quickly and easily...

No, you shouldn't have to go outside MB to get something like this fixed, but dealer service departments are simply not trained, equipped, or allowed to "fix" things, rather they simply swap parts.

Otherwise, perhaps "GTR Pro and GT R Roadster, manufacturer buyback, coming to a Manheim auction near you!"
Lots of people could probably fix it, but the point of the matter is it shouldn’t need to be fixed. German cars have been skating by with the quality and workmanship crap for years. I have determined that Rube Goldberg may be a Mercedes engineer
Orcbolg (04-21-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:06 AM

Just to check under every rock, and since several of you thought my issue was the dealer I had used, I called another dealer in my area. I gave them my VIN, explained the situation and let them review the situation. I told them I would be happy to bring the car in if they thought there was something more they could do. After reviewing everything they said there was no point in me bringing in the Pro. There was nothing they could do and no resolution. I will also tell you, whether you choose to believe me or not, that others with the EXACT SAME ISSUE have PM'd me. Some have received buyback offers already, some are awaiting word. So I will leave it at this - if you happen to be using this forum for research prior to buying an AMG GTR (Pro) or Roadster, please make sure you inspect the exhaust prior to purchase! If you hear a rattle in "loud" exhaust mode at various RPMs, choose wisely!
The following 5 users liked this post by mbsldallas:
California John (04-23-2020), JSwan724 (04-24-2020), NewportSLS (04-24-2020), Orcbolg (04-23-2020), Wolfman (04-23-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Actually you can ask the service dept to check and see if there is a resolution on a open issue and/or any open issues on the model you are looking at.

For those who aren’t familiar with the source of the problem it’s essentially a electrically operated box with a flap and springs made by a outside manufacturer.
In my opinion, the spring looses it’s strength/tension over time due to the exhaust heat and voila the rattle starts as the flap is moved by exhaust fumes.

THE FIX - A new box made better BUT in MB’s case the box is welded to the muffler. So, a whole new muffler is in order IF a better designed box has been found or made.
It’s essentially a plug and play item except for being welded to the muffler.

I am told the same vendor makes the same part for Porshe and others who have had their fair share of issues with it as well.

The more I think about it if I were you I would take the PRO to Renntech and let them put their exhaust flap box on it and be done with it.

Best Regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-24-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Jerry...

Originally Posted by JSwan724
Actually you can ask the service dept to check and see if there is a resolution on a open issue and/or any open issues on the model you are looking at.

For those who aren’t familiar with the source of the problem it’s essentially a electrically operated box with a flap and springs made by a outside manufacturer.
In my opinion, the spring looses it’s strength/tension over time due to the exhaust heat and voila the rattle starts as the flap is moved by exhaust fumes.

THE FIX - A new box made better BUT in MB’s case the box is welded to the muffler. So, a whole new muffler is in order IF a better designed box has been found or made.

I am told the same vendor makes the same part for Porshe and others who have had their fair share of issues with it as well.

The more I think about it if I were you I would take the PRO to Renntech and let them put their exhaust flap box on it and be done with it.

Best Regards

Jerry
are you talking about the remote control valve activation box? The one which allows you to permanently open or close the valves?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by JSwan724

Best Regards

Jerry
The problem is I prefer stock. And I really don't want to lose the use of the multifunction steering wheel button to control the exhaust. Oh, and I don't feel like the solution should be to pay thousands of dollars of my own money to fix a manufacturing defect :-). I'm sure there are fabulous exhausts out there!
NewportSLS (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Jeez, you find fault over every aspect of this CAR. Oh btw, it’s just a car.

if you had researched the car thoroughly before buying you would not have spent $500k on essentially two identical cars. Personally , I would have gotten two different cars.

you expect perfection . It doesn’t exist. Is my $200k perfect? No. There are many cheap components in it but they are better than in my 40k Ford Edge ST. The Ford is reliable and does it job. The GT lets me go from point A to point B in style. At the end of the day it’s a machine with moving parts. Some rattle , hum or vibrate.

I don’t think you have ever owned a sports car let alone two GTs . I don’t buy it.

if you do have them , they are not the car for you. Mass transit or an Uber may be more fitting .
Surge (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by thecutter64

if you had researched the car thoroughly before buying you would not have spent $500k on essentially two identical cars. Personally , I would have gotten two different cars.

you expect perfection . It doesn’t exist. Is my $200k perfect? No. There are many cheap components in it but they are better than in my 40k Ford Edge ST. The Ford is reliable and does it job. The GT lets me go from point A to point B in style. At the end of the day it’s a machine with moving parts. Some rattle , hum or vibrate.

I don’t think you have ever owned a sports car let alone two GTs . I don’t buy it.

if you do have them , they are not the car for you. Mass transit or an Uber may be more fitting .
OMG another troll! What a loser. Go bother someone else.
AMGBEASTMODE (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OMG another troll! What a loser. Go bother someone else.
Dude, I’ve been on this forum for three years. Hardly troll material.

You sir, are the troll.
Surge (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Dude, I’ve been on this forum for three years. Hardly troll material.

You sir, are the troll.
I love how you think because you have posted for years that makes you special. Your post added zero value. There was absolutely no point to it except to be an ***. So congrats on that. You know what you sound like? Jealous. I’m sorry for whatever is wrong with you such that you feel the need to make your negative comments.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Dallas, the more comments you post it’s like quicksand. You remind me of a client that can’t help himself and always a victim.....
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
Surge (04-25-2020), ZephyrAMG (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Dallas, the more comments you post it’s like quicksand. You remind me of a client that can’t help himself and always a victim.....
No worries. I have now unsubscribed this thread so I won't have to see. Always the victim - whatever. I just call out jerks when I see them. Now you guys can say whatever crap you want and maybe it will make you all feel better!
Old 04-24-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 AMG GT R, 2018 GLC63S
I own a 2020 AMG GT R (not PRO) and also have this terrible rattle from the exhaust valves since new. It is there at any rpm in ‘loud mode’ below 3200 rpms and is very noticeable. This seems to be the same problem that mbsldallas and canucklehead has. It is not the dealership’s fault as they are following proper protocol and waiting for the resolution from AMG Germany. I have to say that it is very disappointing that it is taking AMG Germany this long to release the fix for this problem. mbsldallas or canucklehead have you guys tried to reach out to your service department for an update?

Last edited by GTaddict; 04-24-2020 at 03:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTaddict:
Beeast (01-18-2021), Orcbolg (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

No Trolls, just members with different opinions. That said, I can understand the frustration of the OP dealing with an unresolved issue on a new car. Hope that AMG & MB steps up to the plate!
Surge (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS

Cutter why do you always come in so hot? Post count doesnt necessarily equate to a troll unless its the first and only post which is not the case here with the OP. And why the judgement on what he buys; its his money and he wanted two cars that are very close to each other. Hell Ive had M5's-M6's-Porsche's-AMG's several times where they had the same engines. I surely would not want to be subjected to your judgement LOL (im sure you got that tongue and cheek comment).

This isnt the first time Ive asked for you to show the softer side of your keyboard. Try it again especially when we are all subject to so much worse than just having car issues.

Last edited by Vic55; 04-24-2020 at 05:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vic55:
AMGBEASTMODE (04-24-2020), Beeast (01-18-2021), thebishman (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I must need an Anger Management refresher. I didn’t even realize I was inflammatory . My bad.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
I must need an Anger Management refresher. I didn’t even realize I was inflammatory . My bad.
Different perspectives are what makes this site and the members terriffic

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-25-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Surge (04-25-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Terrible Experience with 2020 AMG GTR Pro and AMG GT R Roadster