Sponsored by:

AMG GTR Racing Seat Harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
09 SL63 AMG
AMG GTR Racing Seat Harness

So I'm going to be attending my first track day in my GTR and was wondering if anyone has experience with installing 4 point or 5 point racing seat harness in a GTR? Are there ones that are easier to install and operate than others? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Btw, Happy 4th of July!!!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by aries
So I'm going to be attending my first track day in my GTR and was wondering if anyone has experience with installing 4 point or 5 point racing seat harness in a GTR? Are there ones that are easier to install and operate than others? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Btw, Happy 4th of July!!!
you will need a roll cage. Either OEM or rsr or renntech.

as of now I have not seen just a regular “harness bar” like what you find for corvettes or Ferrari/Lamborghini

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 258 Likes on 140 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
https://studiorsr.com/collections/am...-cage-roll-bar
Old 07-05-2020, 02:30 PM

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
CAV GT40, 2018 GT R, 2019 GLC 63, 13' Ford Raptor,
Originally Posted by MG1422
you will need a roll cage. Either OEM or rsr or renntech.

as of now I have not seen just a regular “harness bar” like what you find for corvettes or Ferrari/Lamborghini

Is it acceptable To use harness’s with the above pictured seats? I thought I’d read on this forum somewhere it was not advisable? Thanks
Old 07-05-2020, 04:34 PM

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
Originally Posted by wawrecker
Is it acceptable To use harness’s with the above pictured seats? I thought I’d read on this forum somewhere it was not advisable? Thanks
Ideally u need an anti sub belt.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
The risk of fatal neck injury in a side collision is VERY high if the upper body is held ridged and the neck unsupported.
A HANS III device is essential with four/five point harness. In professional racing it is mandatory these days.
Some amateur event organizers do not permit a four point without HANS device, either.

A four point alone may look cool, but in fact it is a death trap. I knew two people who learned this the hard way over the last thirty years.
On the other hand, without the four point your upper body remains flexible and you take your chances with the side pillar vs helmet. In a side airbag car, this is the preferred failure mode.

While it is possible to submarine under the dash in a heavy front collision without a five point, strapped in firmly with no HANS Iii, a much gentler side hit that snaps your neck is a far more likely scenario.
An un-triangulated harness bar made out of god knows what material is not exactly a safety feature. Important to think that through. In a sedan it is common to bolt to a rear seat belt point, a known hard point.

From what I understand, on a casual track day, I would not use a four or five point harness by itself today in a car that has side and front air bags.
That said, a five point, firmly attached at a broad angle from behind and a HANS III is safer.
And be carefully prudent, you are out there to have fun and then drive home.

Last edited by Mike__S; 07-05-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Case1906 (02-07-2021)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:10 PM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by Mike__S
The risk of fatal neck injury in a side collision is VERY high if the upper body is held ridged and the neck unsupported.
A HANS III device is essential with four/five point harness. In professional racing it is mandatory these days.
Some amateur event organizers do not permit a four point without HANS device, either.

A four point alone may look cool, but in fact it is a death trap. I knew two people who learned this the hard way over the last thirty years.
On the other hand, without the four point your upper body remains flexible and you take your chances with the side pillar vs helmet. In a side airbag car, this is the preferred failure mode.

While it is possible to submarine under the dash in a heavy front collision without a five point, strapped in firmly with no HANS Iii, a much gentler side hit that snaps your neck is a far more likely scenario.
An un-triangulated harness bar made out of god knows what material is not exactly a safety feature. Important to think that through. In a sedan it is common to bolt to a rear seat belt point, a known hard point.

From what I understand, on a casual track day, I would not use a four or five point harness by itself today in a car that has side and front air bags.
That said, a five point, firmly attached at a broad angle from behind and a HANS III is safer.
And be carefully prudent, you are out there to have fun and then drive home.
good info. Would you use a 3 point in modern cars with side airbags? Or just stick with standard seatbelt of one isn’t using a HANs
Old 07-06-2020, 06:38 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by wawrecker
No
Old 07-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
I am looking at going with a 4 point harness with Anti Sub-Marining provisions such as the Schroth ASM.
I have ordered the bar from RSR and time permitting I was going to source a dedicated racing seat.
Stepping up to a HANS device will be be essential.
I was hoping to have all this in place before my trip out to Area 27 in September, lucky if I have it all sorted out before end of race season.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by canucklehead
I am looking at going with a 4 point harness with Anti Sub-Marining provisions such as the Schroth ASM.
I have ordered the bar from RSR and time permitting I was going to source a dedicated racing seat.
Stepping up to a HANS device will be be essential.
I was hoping to have all this in place before my trip out to Area 27 in September, lucky if I have it all sorted out before end of race season.
I also ordered the bar from RSR (Yesterday) - guy on the phone mentioned soucing us dedicated track seats if we wanted. Recaro Poll Position.

Let me know which harness you end up with! I need one as well.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 AMG GT R Pro
Bump on this, @jn66 @Canucklead how was the RSR bar installation? After tracking the pro for a day I definitely feel the needs of a harness and is in searching for the right rollbar for the car. Was wondering if you could share some experience, TIA!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:35 AM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by supertanch
Bump on this, @jn66 @Canucklead how was the RSR bar installation? After tracking the pro for a day I definitely feel the needs of a harness and is in searching for the right rollbar for the car. Was wondering if you could share some experience, TIA!
My experience was terrible with RSR. Dealership here wouldn't even install it due to the way the holes were drilled. Pics below.

Had a back and forth with RSR where at first they told me it was normal and fine. Eventually they said the would take it back and sent me a shipping label and told me courier was going to come by and get it.

I've been waiting since December 22nd or something like that. Least a dozen emails back and forth. Nothing. Still sits here in a box. Been told a few times that the courier is coming.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 AMG GT R Pro
@jn66 very sorry to hear that, that mount point is really a joke for taking the force of a roll. Hopefully they can get it sorted out soon...
The following 2 users liked this post by supertanch:
jn66 (01-25-2021), sevenhead (02-15-2022)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:40 AM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by supertanch
@jn66 very sorry to hear that, that mount point is really a joke for taking the force of a roll. Hopefully they can get it sorted out soon...
Doesn't seem like the want too. I was actually told by them that 'that is how they come and it is fine'.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:50 PM

Winnebago, Yugo
Getting the runaround here too from RSR. Supposedly my cage is NOW out of powder coating (2weeks ago). Then again the most recent update on November 16th was it was 2 weeks away from shipping out.
I did tell RSR if the cage has not shipped by end of January I will request my money back. I ordered the cage on June 24th, 2020.
I fully expect to get something similar to Jordan as far as quality goes.
Reading the RSR reviews, there is a common theme of horrendous service when it comes to supplying cages.
RSR missed a golden opportunity , I'm thinking they could have been the supplier of choice for the North American GT market.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Guys if the credit card laws are the same in Canada as they are here in the US, I would request a charge back from your CC company. This product shouldn’t be placed in your cars IMHO as it looks completely unreliable.

Bish
MalibuScott (01-27-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:56 PM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by thebishman
Guys if the credit card laws are the same in Canada as they are here in the US, I would request a charge back from your CC company. This product shouldn’t be placed in your cars IMHO as it looks completely unreliable.

Bish
Ive requested it. Takes a bit of time.
I should hear back shortly I believe.
thebishman (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by thebishman

Bish
Right. I will give them till the end of the month.
There are plenty of pictures floating around of how MB mounted the roll bar. Like ***, how hard would it have been to copy that design.
thebishman (01-26-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by canucklehead
Right. I will give them till the end of the month.
There are plenty of pictures floating around of how MB mounted the roll bar. Like ***, how hard would it have been to copy that design.
I hate to hear this. Any update?
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by Case1906
I hate to hear this. Any update?
Nothing yet.
I was still hoping something would happen last week. I had threatened canceling the order twice in hopes that would get things moving.
More delays with no real answers, I have asked for proof of life, but nothing there either.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM

AMG GT R Pro
Visa refunded my card. I've been told for months now that they were going to have a shipping company pick up the one I have that isn't made correctly.

It is still here. I move in 1 week. I believe they have given up on trying to get the company to pick it up...very strange business model here.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:22 PM

Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by jn66
Visa refunded my card. I've been told for months now that they were going to have a shipping company pick up the one I have that isn't made correctly.

It is still here. I move in 1 week. I believe they have given up on trying to get the company to pick it up...very strange business model here.
Good to hear you got your money back. I keep on giving them one more day, one more day... which is my problem.
I just sent them another email this morning, if I don't hear back by end of day today I will rip off the band-aid. So wanted this to work.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:01 AM

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by jn66

Contact John Bologna at Renntech. I know they created a roll cage that is somewhat the same as the factory one.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:11 PM

AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by MG1422
Contact John Bologna at Renntech. I know they created a roll cage that is somewhat the same as the factory one.
Noted. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2022, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 AMG GTR 2003 AMG SL55
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
No
So why is that not acceptable? The correct four point works fine if installed correctly-which includes having a roll bar for the rear harnesses to be wrapped to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GTR Racing Seat Harness