2018 GTS 8K MILES - $112k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
2016 GTS 8K MILES - $112k

A 2016 GTS Black/Black 8k miles just went across.the,Barrett-Jackson block for.$112k

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-25-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I'm ignorant of what that means. Does that mean it was offered for that amount or that it sold for that amount - or both?
Old 10-25-2020, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Couldn't see it in the LOT listing - did see this though: - is this the car:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...MG-GT-S-243371

The price makes zero sense to me. pretty minimally built and gen 1 car with average mileage.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Are you saying values are stabilizing/going up? If so thats quite interesting.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Prices have been rising for months now. Especially in consideration of next GT sharing SL frame.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:51 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Almost every single nice car seems to have gone up in price in the last 4-5 months. Same thing with watches and a lot of other luxury goods.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by California John
I'm ignorant of what that means. Does that mean it was offered for that amount or that it sold for that amount - or both?
John:

It sold for $112k plus a 10% buyers premium.

BUT you needed to buy the new Ford GT for......... 1.125mil

Best regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-25-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Skilly
Couldn't see it in the LOT listing - did see this though: - is this the car:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...MG-GT-S-243371

The price makes zero sense to me. pretty minimally built and gen 1 car with average mileage.

Skilly:

Yea that is it. As I mentioned to John, the $123k price includes the 10% buyers premium.

Regards

Jerry
Old 10-25-2020, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Using Barrett Jackson as any kind of pricing standard is a mistake. I live 10 minutes from BJ and have attended their Scottsdale auctions for the last 12 years. The types of bidders that go to these highly televised auctions like BJ and Mecum are the big bucks and big ego individuals. They will do extraordinary things for a TV camera (and the booze served there doesn't help judgment).

I'll use the 2020 C8 Corvette as an example. One of those cars crossed the block at the same auction. It hammered for over $100K and basically a new car that MSRPed for about $78K. So, if you're thinking then that with the 2020 Corvette, all you have to do is purchase one for MSRP and immediately put it for sale for $100K you'd be in a very bad place.

Witness just one of the internet sites, I use cars.com. Do a little test. Search for a 2020 Corvette (only 2020) and make the search nationwide. Set the pages up as lowest prices to highest. What you'll find is:

Approximately 200 2020 C8 Corvettes for sale, all priced above MSRP and anywhere from $15K over MSRP to as much as $40K and $50K over.
approx 130 to 140 of those cars have been on cars,com for over 30 days. I've personally tracked 12 cars for 9 weeks now - 7 lowest priced and 5 ridiculously priced. ALL 12 cars are STILL for sale after 9 weeks!
There are 30 to 40 price reductions on these 200 cars EVERY DAY - price reductions are only posted for 24 hrs then the PR flag disappears
In the 9 weeks that I've watched, the list of for sale C8s grew from 149 cars to 200 cars.

So, if your only data point was the one Corvette that hammered for $100K, and unless you can get your car into one of these highly publicized auctions with plenty of - cameras, money, egos, and booze, it's NOT likely you'll see those prices and I guarantee without the fanfare, and TV cameras, none of these BIG EGO guys will be calling your cars,com ad.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 10-26-2020 at 10:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
Hetzle (10-26-2020), Orcbolg (10-25-2020), Wolfman (10-26-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Using Barrett Jackson as any kind of pricing standard is a mistake. I live 10 minutes from BJ and have attended their Scottsdale auctions for the last 12 years. The types of bidders that go to these highly televised auctions like BJ and Mecum are the big bucks and big ego individuals. They will do extraordinary things for a TV camera (and the booze served there doesn't help judgment).

I'll use the 2020 C8 Corvette as an example. One of those cars crossed the block at the same auction. It hammered for over $100K and basically a new car that MSRPed for about $78K. So, if you're thinking then that with the 2020 Corvette, all you have to do is purchase one for MSRP and immediately put it for sale for $100K you'd be in a very bad place.

Witness just one of the internet sites, I use cars.com. Do a little test. Search for a 2020 Corvette (only 2020) and make the search nationwide. Set the pages up as lowest prices to highest. What you'll find is:

Approximately 200 2020 C8 Corvettes for sale, all priced above MSRP and anywhere from $15K over MSRP to as much as $40K and $50K over.
approx 130 to 140 of those cars have been on cars,com for over 30 days. I've personally tracked 12 cars for 9 weeks now - 7 lowest priced and 5 ridiculously priced. ALL 12 cars are STILL for sale after 9 weeks!
There are 30 to 40 price reductions on these 200 cars EVERY DAY - price reductions are only posted for 24 hrs then the PR flag disappears
In the 9 weeks that I've watched, the list of for sale C8s grew from 149 cars to 200 cars.

So, if your only data point was the one Corvette that hammered for $100K, and unless you can get your car into one of these highly publicized auctions with plenty of - cameras, money, egos, and booze, it's NOT likely you'll see those prices and I guarantee without the fanfare, and TV cameras, none of these BIG EGO guys will be calling your cars,com ad.

Welcome. I see you’re fairly new here. Please be assured these guys know all about the market and what they should and shouldn’t be paying for new cars of all types.

From time to time we drop information about various auctions or sales that are of interest to the group. It’s a virtual discussion and sometimes debate about issues that could just as easily take place in a bar where drinks or dinners are bet.

Please feel free to add your perspective. No attacks or demeaning statements though.

I will try and see that auction when it’s there next IF COVID is over.

Regards

Jerry
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
AMG 17GT (10-25-2020), Hetzle (10-26-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Welcome. I see you’re fairly new here. Please be assured these guys know all about the market and what they should and shouldn’t be paying for new cars of all types.

From time to time we drop information about various auctions or sales that are of interest to the group. It’s a virtual discussion and sometimes debate about issues that could just as easily take place in a bar where drinks or dinners are bet.

Please feel free to add your perspective. No attacks or demeaning statements though.

Regards

Jerry
Considering the fact that there are at least some folks who wouldn't really know what to do with the data in the OP, I think the user you're responding to was very helpful in shedding light on how much stock to put in BJ auction prices, and giving supporting evidence to back up their point. So I don't really understand why you're treating them as though they are some uninformed child.
The following 5 users liked this post by Orcbolg:
Hetzle (10-26-2020), Saudio (10-25-2020), Wolfman (10-26-2020), x96535 (10-26-2020), ZephyrAMG (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:27 AM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the prices are going up that much, right now. We know they were going to stabilize at some point + AMG GTs are becoming more desirable as more people know about them. That being said, paying that much for a GTS with 8k miles doesn't make sense to me - especially since I paid 135k for a brand new SBY GTC roadster a year ago. Interestingly, I see GTCs prices seem to be roughly around what they were a bit over year ago. I see there is a similar spec'd GTC roadster listed for 127k with 16.5k miles on it...which is interesting to think about
Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Considering the fact that there are at least some folks who wouldn't really know what to do with the data in the OP, I think the user you're responding to was very helpful in shedding light on how much stock to put in BJ auction prices, and giving supporting evidence to back up their point. So I don't really understand why you're treating them as though they are some uninformed child.
I agree the information is useful to those that aren’t experienced in auctions and price evaluation. However as the OP the point my post was intended for a group of us that own or have owned 2016 GTS models when they first came out.

Again, that’s the disadvantage of virtual discussions as oppposed to face to face. I’ll buy the next round

Regards

The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT S
Hello everyone, This one is simple. It’s pure economics, namely Inflation. Talking the U.S. used vehicle market as a whole the median used vehicle sale price YoY is up a whopping 30%. Now that gain is mostly weighted to large vehicle segments - pickup trucks and SUVs and the gain to that segment is due to all-time low gasoline and fuel prices and that’s due to (hate to get political here but Thanks T!)...I digress HA. I’m not surprised if used car segments (a,b,c, sports, exotic,) are up 10%-20% in this short term with this 16’ GTS getting an additional 10-20% Barrett premium from the points mentioned in previous posts.

Last edited by john5; 10-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.
kumizi (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT

Regards

Jerry
Greetings Jswan.

From this reply to my post here and your subsequent reply to another member, the lesson I am taking away here is that you prefer that uninformed new members who do not meet your perception of being knowledgeable on topics in which you start should stay off your threads....lesson learned. Although I am new here, I am a veteran member of 6 other car forums, one dating back to 2000. Forums like this one draw every imaginable personality from sincere members looking to learn and contribute, to flamers with no other intentions other than starting internet fights, to cranky old men with get off my lawn signs. I get that.

I strive to be in the sincere contributions and learning group. I make a point of sticking to issues even when I am attacked. I've highlighted in your post above a line that has me concerned. Either you feel the need to educate me about basic rules of civil discourse on car forums, or you are implying I have attacked or demeaned someone already. I'd ask you to expand on that. If I've attacked any member here or offended anyone (other than you Jerry) I will apologize directly online to that person(s).

And finally, since I am thinking I must have offended you to create a post about it, I am sincerely sorry to you if I did. I'd like to delete my post above so it doesn't soil your thread, but either I am too new to do so, or I'll contact a moderator to do it, and I promise I will go out of my way not to offend you in the future.

Hetzle (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Very well said
Hetzle (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info on BJ!

The C8 Corvettes will go their predictable way from a price premium to a discount in short order, only being delayed by Covid.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Greetings Jswan.

From this reply to my post here and your subsequent reply to another member, the lesson I am taking away here is that you prefer that uninformed new members who do not meet your perception of being knowledgeable on topics in which you start should stay off your threads....lesson learned. Although I am new here, I am a veteran member of 6 other car forums, one dating back to 2000. Forums like this one draw every imaginable personality from sincere members looking to learn and contribute, to flamers with no other intentions other than starting internet fights, to cranky old men with get off my lawn signs. I get that.

I strive to be in the sincere contributions and learning group. I make a point of sticking to issues even when I am attacked. I've highlighted in your post above a line that has me concerned. Either you feel the need to educate me about basic rules of civil discourse on car forums, or you are implying I have attacked or demeaned someone already. I'd ask you to expand on that. If I've attacked any member here or offended anyone (other than you Jerry) I will apologize directly online to that person(s).

And finally, since I am thinking I must have offended you to create a post about it, I am sincerely sorry to you if I did. I'd like to delete my post above so it doesn't soil your thread, but either I am too new to do so, or I'll contact a moderator to do it, and I promise I will go out of my way not to offend you in the future.
No need to say anything here and definitely no need to apologize. Your post was appropriate... This is an open forum and people share opinions that not everyone has to agree with. Looking forward to more contributions and please share pics if you have an AMG!
Hetzle (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Back to the actual topic. I have seen the same increases in AMG GT pricing but COVID or not, $112k is well above 2018 GTS values. Either the bidder was drunk or there was something very special about this car... Couldn't have been the basic black/black color combo
realien (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider

Regards

Jerry
I would add that a C8 is a great example of the overall pricing challenges these days. The "all you have to do is go buy a C8 for MSRP" is the reason that these cars are for the moment, demanding a premium over their list price. Demand is eclipsing supply. There are several in the used market that were likely reserved allocations and are 'flooding' the market, but overall there are less cars than there are people that want them so they are still drawing the premium.

My hope is the GT is going to experience that same supply/demand issue (not to be confused with the GT Sedan). I was driving my GTC yesterday and it just blows me away - it is just such a good car...equally as good as a 458 but just grabs the driver in a different way. In fact, Ferrari 458s might be a good platform to predict how the GTs will fair in the market with things to come. The 2022 with its platform and engine changes will undoubtedly increase sentiment for the original GT platform. The 458 is holding its value largely because the 488 misses something moving to turbos. In fact, there is a small hint of 'things to come' with those on the forum that have a 2020 - there must be a thread per week complaining about how quiet the exhaust note is....
Old 10-26-2020, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Prices have been rising for months now. Especially in consideration of next GT sharing SL frame.
I am wondering of how much the next GT will vary from the next SL, given that they will share the same platform. A number of GT-specific designs are going away on the SL. Things I would miss like the DCT, the transaxle, the rear-wheel drive and likely the front-mid engine location. AWD and possibly air suspension...
Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I am wondering of how much the next GT will vary from the next SL, given that they will share the same platform. A number of GT-specific designs are going away on the SL. Things I would miss like the DCT, the transaxle, the rear-wheel drive and likely the front-mid engine location. AWD and possibly air suspension...
Not much since the SL will serve as the GT roadster.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
You’re saying The coupe will stay on with same frame/platform?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
The platform will allow for a number of significant design differences though and I hope the coupe will stay as balanced as it is today.

Since the SL will be tuned for comfort it may make sense to have a 9 speed slush box, for the next GT not so much. I love the balance with the front-mid engine/transaxle layout (and rear wheel steering), the SL will have the transmission directly bolted to the engine and likely sit on the front axle (given the hood length).
While the SL prototypes are already in the wild, there is nothing so far on the next GT's...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The platform will allow for a number of significant design differences though and I hope the coupe will stay as balanced as it is today.

Since the SL will be tuned for comfort it may make sense to have a 9 speed slush box, for the next GT not so much. I love the balance with the front-mid engine/transaxle layout (and rear wheel steering), the SL will have the transmission directly bolted to the engine and likely sit on the front axle (given the hood length).
While the SL prototypes are already in the wild, there is nothing so far on the next GT's...
Smart people pay attention to Wolfie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 GTS 8K MILES - $112k