Sponsored by:

Springs or Coilovers???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e63
Springs or Coilovers???

hey guys new to the amg world came out of a m5 and a 1000hp trackhawk. Just had a few question on what you guys recommend to use for a nice drop on the amg gts. Ive seen KW kits and Renntech coils just wanted to see what your guys feedback was thank you.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by georgioAMG
hey guys new to the amg world came out of a m5 and a 1000hp trackhawk. Just had a few question on what you guys recommend to use for a nice drop on the amg gts. Ive seen KW kits and Renntech coils just wanted to see what your guys feedback was thank you.
most of the feedback you see on here, aside from brand, is adjustable springs. I installed RENNtech versions but have used KW as well - really, they're about the same and get the job done. Most (me included) would say there is almost no change in ride quality, and in fact, a few will say it improved. I dropped over an inch and would say that the ride slightly improved with the new spring as compared to factory.
The following users liked this post:
georgioAMG (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e63
thank you bro
The following users liked this post:
Skilly (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
If you are interested in performance and the adjustability add coilovers. I run Renntech’s. Springs are more for appearance with the big drop. H&R’s are prominent and must less expensive than coilovers.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
You really need adjustable coil overs if your going deep. Every car is different, every wheel is different, and every opinion of what is high and low is different, so having the adjustability really helps. I’ve lowered and raised several times as a result. Most of your money is spent ripping apart the car to install springs in the first place, might as well have options.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
You really need adjustable coil overs if your going deep. Every car is different, every wheel is different, and every opinion of what is high and low is different, so having the adjustability really helps. I’ve lowered and raised several times as a result. Most of your money is spent ripping apart the car to install springs in the first place, might as well have options.
agree - that said, RENNtech and KW are fully adjustable at the base; just not a complete coilover with dial in adjustability/dampening etc. For a layman, they really are coilovers.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
GT350 AMGGTS
If you constantly adjust (well, maybe not constantly, but sometimes), how do you guys handle the alignment? I was considering springs (for aesthetics), but cost and complexity of the alignment scared me away.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Theweezersdad
If you constantly adjust (well, maybe not constantly, but sometimes), how do you guys handle the alignment? I was considering springs (for aesthetics), but cost and complexity of the alignment scared me away.
Get a box of shims. Some dealers will include the alignment with the install as that in of itself is expensive. No big deal.

Aesthetics are great but the handling and ride on my car is vastly improved.