Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New!! GTC-R roadster!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
having owned a GTC roadster and now a GTRA roadster I have watched this post with interest.. since the GT level is getting a power increase, I thought it was possible that both the GTC and GTR variants might see similar power increases..Cali John doesn't see any indication of a new variant in the DOG for 2021 and feedback that I have say's nothing as Spokenhands describes is coming in 2021...As previously requested, please take pics...
PS.. I was disappointed that the GTRA roadster did not have the TC yellow control knob in the center of the console.. I thought it looked pretty cool in the coupe..
Old 11-12-2020, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by SLcruzen
having owned a GTC roadster and now a GTRA roadster I have watched this post with interest.. since the GT level is getting a power increase, I thought it was possible that both the GTC and GTR variants might see similar power increases..Cali John doesn't see any indication of a new variant in the DOG for 2021 and feedback that I have say's nothing as Spokenhands describes is coming in 2021...As previously requested, please take pics...
PS.. I was disappointed that the GTRA roadster did not have the TC yellow control knob in the center of the console.. I thought it looked pretty cool in the coupe..
I found the perfect power increase straight from RENNtech!! It's a completely different car now - when I move it back to factory settings for service it feels like something is broken!

Seriously though, after doing that and adding the OEM GTR Roadster Wing on my Roadster (for looks really) I have a tough time seeing where the $80K premium is between the GTC Roadster and the GTR equivalent. I mean I know the differences on paper, but even after some seat time in a GTR (coupe) I ended up feeling that they were largely the same (to me) at least the way mine is set up. Is your experience different? Curious about your thoughts - be interesting to hear from someone with seat time in both. The GTR Roadster is so rare.

Last edited by Skilly; 11-12-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by Skilly
I found the perfect power increase straight from RENNtech!! It's a completely different car now - when I move it back to factory settings for service it feels like something is broken!

Seriously though, after doing that and adding the OEM GTRA Wing on my Roadster (for looks really) I have a tough time seeing where the $80K premium is between the GTC Roadster and the GTR equivalent. I mean I know the differences on paper, but even after some seat time in a GTR I ended up feeling that they were largely the same (to me) at least the way mine is set up. Is your experience different? Curious about your thoughts - be interesting to hear from someone with seat time in both. The GTRA R is so rare.
What is a GTRA?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Keon
What is a GTRA?
good catch. The previous post added the nomenclature A and I had thought I had seen that reference as well, but just did a search and couldnt see a single reference to the A. Ill fix my post to avoid a mistake becoming an 'alternative fact'!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:44 PM

300sl roadster
Interesting questions.. I am fortunate to have a 58 300SL Roadster and after a Colorado Grand event where my car performed without an issue, I came home and thought if this company can build a car in 1958 that can stand the test of time, let's see what they build today.. so I ordered a spec'd out GTC.. It was and is a great car.. but I knew the GTR was out there so I started asking about the possibility of a GTR roadster at a Pebble event and while there was not a confirmation, there was not a denial.. I have to admit that I thought that there was a mechanical difference between the GTC & GTR in engine componets.. later to find out that Renntech could bring both engines to the same performance level with a tune.. by this time I had placed my GTRA order.. So, I concur that performance wise, the GTC can be brought to the GTRA level with a simple tune and not sure where the $80k went other than MB bank.. That being said, I love the car.. I have not had a tune yet but sure am considering one.. I do drive fairly aggressive and have convinced myself that there is a 'seat of the pants' diff between the two.. the tires are different and the wheels are lighter so the turn in and out of the corner is really good.. I like the sound and don't miss the over-run exhaust noise.. for me, it's a keeper..
BTW, I've seen the pics of your car with the wing and it really looks nice..and l'll bet you still have a fair amount of $80k still in your pocket... just saying...
The following 2 users liked this post by SLcruzen:
Orcbolg (11-12-2020), Skilly (11-13-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:49 PM

300sl roadster
Regarding the 'A'... the confirmation and the window sticker on my car says 2020 GTRA Roadster... I too don't know what the 'A' stands for .. certainly not APERTA.. but the top will go down...
The following users liked this post:
Skilly (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,906 Likes on 2,611 Posts
2019 C63CS
'A' is the code for cabriolet body style. C is coupe, S is wagon, A is cabriolet and W is sedan. It's sometimes used in the model designation to indicate the body style, but is redundant if you say GT R Roadster. It's more often used in the internal model code, though. The current GT coupes are C190 and the roadsters are A190. It's often used as shorthand for the models that have different body styles. For example C63WS is the C63S sedan and the C63CS is the C63S coupe etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
ChargedMB (11-13-2020), Orcbolg (11-13-2020), Skilly (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by superswiss
'A' is the code for cabriolet body style. C is coupe, S is wagon, A is cabriolet and W is sedan. It's sometimes used in the model designation to indicate the body style, but is redundant if you say GT R Roadster. It's more often used in the internal model code, though. The current GT coupes are C190 and the roadsters are A190. It's often used as shorthand for the models that have different body styles. For example C63WS is the C63S sedan and the C63CS is the C63S coupe etc.
OK - I struggled to find the reference and figured that I might have been mixing it up with another car brand. thanks for that!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:25 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Isn't the AMG GT R Roadster already an available 2020 model?
Old 11-13-2020, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by AMG RB
Isn't the AMG GT R Roadster already an available 2020 model?
Take a look at the OPs opening remarks. This is about some weird version of the GTCA with R features.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
SLcruzen must've been talking about the initial launch of the GT R Roadster.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by superswiss
I finally remember where I saw the A reference - it was in my ownership details within Mercedes Me! Funny that was the only place that it turned up.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:49 PM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
Just a little curious why you are hesitant to use the renntech EVM module since it overrides the factory ECU settings for exhaust flap control...but you are willing to have the whole ECU remapped (changes in turbo boost, etc.) via renntech.

Originally Posted by Skilly

Seriously though, after doing that and adding the OEM GTR Roadster Wing on my Roadster (for looks really) I have a tough time seeing where the $80K premium is between the GTC Roadster and the GTR equivalent. I mean I know the differences on paper, but even after some seat time in a GTR (coupe) I ended up feeling that they were largely the same (to me) at least the way mine is set up. Is your experience different? Curious about your thoughts - be interesting to hear from someone with seat time in both. The GTR Roadster is so rare.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by doulehr
Just a little curious why you are hesitant to use the renntech EVM module since it overrides the factory ECU settings for exhaust flap control...but you are willing to have the whole ECU remapped (changes in turbo boost, etc.) via renntech.
I did an EVM, just not RENNtech. I preferred the CETE module and the way it worked. It works with all of the factory functions and just opens the valves more. I wanted something that improved the factory rather than working around it - to me, that is what CETE accomplished.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 AMG GTC, 2021 Macan GTS, 2021 Golf GTI
This thread got a little off topic 🤔
Old 11-26-2020, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
so, check out comment #40 in this thread - talking about a new GT-C option for Roadsters in the EU - looks like they will add the GTR wing a couple of other bits for the affordable price of 11,000 euro, or 12,500 Euro if you want the spoiler finished in carbon:

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ertible-2.html

The mystery might be solved.
The following users liked this post:
xxxPaulxxx (11-28-2020)