Sponsored by:

The good, the bad and the ugly....GTC Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:02 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Originally Posted by SpokenHands
I hope you get one as they're absolutely stunning machines - and I picked one over some very competent rivals.

THE GOOD: Very capable sports GT with strong mechanical underpinnings and emotive sound
  1. Excellent 4.0 lt V8 engine with some pretty spectacular performance numbers on the GTC
  2. Emotive sound form the engine and exhaust at idle, and on the road. Exhaust sound is not crass - its pretty high end.
  3. Very robust mechanicals, in particular superb suspension and braking systems
  4. Nice balance of high-performance power and a luxurious cabin (compared to an Aston Martin, Ferrari or McLaren)
  5. Can be used comfortably as a daily driver unlike many exotics and supercars. Does not bottom out at every speed bump or driveway incline which is a huge win for me.
  6. Triple-layers roof fabric that is surprisingly good dampening road noise and keeping out the heat. Surprisingly practical.
  7. You get a lot of admiring glances, thumbs up, smiles and phones out; not the ****ery reserved for Ferrari and Lambo drivers
  8. The design will not age quickly, its sheer elegance and proportions likely push it into classics territory in about 10-15 years. Mine's a keeper.
  9. Surprisingly good mpg and low emissions, if your country's road or car tax severely penalises both.
  10. Annual 10000 mile services reasonable. Reassuringly expensive as I have described it. Not a dollar-sink.
  11. AMG aftersales is pretty good - well trained techs (in the UK, the guy gave me his mobile number!) and Customer Service is very prompt and professional. Usual high standards of AMG goodwill even out of warranty **if you ask nicely**

THE BAD: Some weird eccentricities from the Merc AMG parts bin (not limited to the GTC); less frustrating than the Italians (cars, I mean, naturally) but there if you want it.
  1. The centre console cup holder cover can sometimes stick open, you can lubricate it lightly & shake it free but it may stick again. Only solution is too (alarmingly) replace the centre console but it will stick again.
  2. There is a very very light clattering sound when you drive hard (almost not many do hear) and that's the (butterfly) exhaust valve. There is a special grease but it wears off.
  3. Drainage channels absolutely must to be cleaned every annual service - especially the ones near the doors (near the rear wheels) and the ones at the base of the windscreen. Gunk and leaves block it and cause expensive water ingress especially in the rear areas near ECU modules (read: very expensive)
  4. Fuel filler flap is bonded to the rear quarter panel so any change there is a big job. This is if the fuel cap ever gets notchy or needs repair/replacing.
  5. In general, replacement parts are not held in stock so there is the usual delay of back orders (hello supercars!) and you need an AMG trained Merc service garage (not all Merc dealerships have one despite the signage and gladly selling you one!!!)

THE UGLY: COMAND system getting a bit dated and don't get me started on the new centre console!!!!!
  1. Not a fault per se, but the 2017-2019 models use the previous version of the MBUX COMAND system and interface (the screens, menus and Nav etc) are pretty dated. The MY2020 has improved things considerably. Likewise no native Apple CarPlan / Android Auto,
  2. The MY2020 centre console has new haptic buttons and tiny screen graphics, rather than the chunky knobs which I love - and that I think have more character
  3. That's about it, whats not to love!!!!

Coupe vs Roadster is a matter of personal choice and your geography.
All I will say is there is a reason why the Roadster is at a premium (beyond the roof system and stiffening) - it is seen as more Newport than Rosslyn (just a NY state thing, excuse me)
Arguably not the best choice in certain extreme climates, especially if you use it as a daily driver.

Suggestion:
Make sure you get the right spec - the standard GTC Roadster is not a dog, it comes well specified but there are some tasty OEM bits you can add on, before you go modding....

1. Seat Ventilation / Cooling
2. Forged 10-spoke Alloy Wheels from the AMG Performance Studio (in Black Chrome / Polished Gun Metal that came standard with the GTC Edition 50
3. A GTR styling kit that in an AMG Performance studio special order if thats what you want. Love the active rear diffuser from the GTR, couldnt live with the fixed aerofoil/rear wing.
4. On the 2017-2019 car, make sure you get the latest software updates that improve suspension and handling and also emissions. In Europe they do adjust exhaust noise though.

Is there a better high-performance sports GT?
Yes. Easy. The updated 2019/2020 Bentley Continental GTC. Does all of the above and oodles more.

I agree with almost all of that, but I must take issue with the fuel milage. I'm averaging less than 10 MPG. But it's still a new toy and I'm very heavy footed. I like the stupid smile it gives me. ;-)
The following users liked this post:
SteveKoz (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:04 PM

AMG GT C
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
As a heads up, you can get the same cushions for a LOT less on amazon. I bought the linked one for $16, and it's fantastic. The size of this particular one is comparable to the Purple Simply cushion ($60), albeit a little bit thicker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NOW you tell me. ;-)
Orcbolg (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Saudio
NOW you tell me. ;-)
Better late than never! I almost pulled the trigger on the Purple branded ones as well, for my Jeep and my old office chair, before I stumbled onto the myriad of similar options on Amazon.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:11 PM

AMG GT C
Better late than never! I almost pulled the trigger on the Purple branded ones as well, for my Jeep and my old office chair, before I stumbled onto the myriad of similar options on Amazon.

I just ordered one of those to compare and to save me moving mine from vehicle to vehicle.
Orcbolg (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
As a heads up, you can get the same cushions for a LOT less on amazon. I bought the linked one for $16, and it's fantastic. The size of this particular one is comparable to the Purple Simply cushion ($60), albeit a little bit thicker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Originally Posted by Saudio
For my backside. I got the Royal because I drive a lot and move it from vehicle to vehicle, and that GTC seat is just like sitting on a stone slab to me. It's pretty spongy and sits you up a bit but really really comfortable. The Simple might be a good choice if you are only mildly uncomfortable. They have a good return policy if you want to switch.

A couple things to know, these things emit a bit of a chemical smell when left in a closed car (that goes away quickly), they have to be removed in extreme heat because they can melt, and they take a long time to warm up when it's cold outside. Minor issues compared to being uncomfortable IMHO.
Thanks guys!....I might try one of these. I'm not miserably uncomfortable, but a little improvement might be worth the spend.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Couldn't imagine to compare an AMG GTC with a Bentley GTC. Vastly different cars. The updated Bentley is a surprisingly good car but it carries an extra 2000 lbs and you feel every ounce of it. A big Luxo cruiser vs an agile sports car.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider

A GTR styling kit that in an AMG Performance studio special order if thats what you want. Love the active rear diffuser from the GTR, couldnt live with the fixed aerofoil/rear wing.
What is this? Active typically means articulating vs fixed - what is the GTR styling option for the GTC? I've not seen anything like this - could you share the deets?
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Couldn't imagine to compare an AMG GTC with a Bentley GTC. Vastly different cars. The updated Bentley is a surprisingly good car but it carries an extra 2000 lbs and you feel every ounce of it. A big Luxo cruiser vs an agile sports car.
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I sold a Bentley GT Supersports to move into the GTC that I have now. It's a little like a bumblebee defying the laws of physics in being able to fly...that car moving 0 to 60 in just over 3 seconds shouldn't be possible, but somehow it does it anyway.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I made a similar move - Bentley Continental GT to the AMG GT.

Another way Bentley defies Physics, it has the entire W12 engine sitting forward of the front axle and this works somewhat too even though it shouldn't. All in all, Bentley GTs are great luxury cars trying to be other things too, but more luxury at its base core. At 6'5", and not fitting comfortably in lots of cars, the Bentley GT was the first car I've ever owned where I didn't need to have the seat back/down as far as it would go.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
I made a similar move - Bentley Continental GT to the AMG GT.

\At 6'5", and not fitting comfortably in lots of cars, the Bentley GT was the first car I've ever owned where I didn't need to have the seat back/down as far as it would go.
Don't forget that the Supersports has those ridiculous carbon seats as a weight measure - no up or down with those things. Im 6'4" and they still worked. Not to confuse your GT choice, but the 458 and the newer 911 (991.1and up) have a TON of room in the cockpit for the driver.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
I appreciate all the replies. The heat I was referring to was from a video where he said he put his phone in the center compartment and it was so hot that his phone overheated. Said it was like a small oven. Guessing from the replies that's not true?

So we decided to visit the local MB dealer today. He had a 2019 GTC hard top that we've previously drooled over through the window. We were jumping back and forth between the GTC and SL550 with the top down playing with the experiences. He said, you want to hear the exhaust? Sure.. He fires up the GTC for a quick audio check. WOW.. We played for about 20 minutes and decided it was time to leave when he asks if we have time to take her out for a test drive.. DUHH... Let me say, ALL the videos I've watched EVERY TIME someone drives this car they say WOW and smile. We were actually laughing and not just that little chuckle. Deep satisfying laughing. This car was so much fun to drive. The cabin noise was a non issue and the road comfort wasn't bad at all. Not a long enough ride to get any sense of console heat.. Actually we were having so much fun the console heat didn't even come to mind. I'm guessing that exhaust BANG between shifting gears is normal? What an experience. We took out the SL550 just for the top down experience. Nice riding car and all but not the toy the GTC would be.
I have a 2019 GTC coupe. There is no excessive cabin heat. I put lots of things in the central console armrest. Nothing gets warm, let alone hot. The trunk also doesn’t get hot.

Comfort - the GTC on OEM summer tires at the suggested tire pressure is more comfortable over potholes than my 2015 C63 507 Edition Coupe!
The seats in the GTC are a bit too firm though. But the suspension comfort and compliance is amazing for the type of car that it is. The OEM Michelin Super Sports are also not the most comfortable tire available.

The pre face lift, 2019 and 2018 MYs are the ones to get in my opinion: Sport+ is louder. I vastly prefer the original dash console round buttons that were bespoke to this car and meant tor resemble a V8. The analogue dials will be coveted by collectors in the not too distant future, it has a CD/DVD drive, and I don’t like the touch buttons and rotary controller on the new steering wheel.
garymac (12-02-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 04:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG GT-C Roadster; 2018 Range Rover Velar;
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The AMG GTC is an agile sports car - no contest.

But as a sports GT, the Bentley GTC is a strong contender. Enjoy this video from Harry's Garage to see what I mean :
They are vastly different. But they are similar in many ways too (Luxury + Sports refinement compared to the Ferrari/McLaren/Aston which are definitely sparse on luxury!)
I wouldn't get a Bentley personally - its not my thing just yet - and I do think the 2017-2019 GTs will be classics in 15 years in ways the Bentley will not
The following 2 users liked this post by SpokenHands:
MalibuScott (11-29-2020), Surge (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:28 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Surge
I have a 2019 GTC coupe. There is no excessive cabin heat. I put lots of things in the central console armrest. Nothing gets warm, let alone hot. The trunk also doesn’t get hot.

Comfort - the GTC on OEM summer tires at the suggested tire pressure is more comfortable over potholes than my 2015 C63 507 Edition Coupe!
The seats in the GTC are a bit too firm though. But the suspension comfort and compliance is amazing for the type of car that it is. The OEM Michelin Super Sports are also not the most comfortable tire available.

The pre face lift, 2019 and 2018 MYs are the ones to get in my opinion: Sport+ is louder. I vastly prefer the original dash console round buttons that were bespoke to this car and meant tor resemble a V8. The analogue dials will be coveted by collectors in the not too distant future, it has a CD/DVD drive, and I don’t like the touch buttons and rotary controller on the new steering wheel.
Let's add that the grill on the 2016-2017 also a reminiscent of the coveted SLS and more of a family resemblance to the AMG brand. Panamericana grill also has some historical significance but Panamericana now is being utilized in all mercedes models.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT
(I searched the threads for seat options for large people; no solution)

So did you or anyone else find a solution to the seat position for people over 6'2"? I've had the GTC now for 6 days, put 1k miles on it. Love the car. But the seat is all the way down/little forward so I can recline. I can't see the top of the instrument cluster (turn signals/etc). Anyone mod the seat?

Looked at one of the pictures of the seats out and wonder if I mod the seat rails to lower it 2 inches. But if parts are rare, don't want to do that without backup parts.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Let's add that the grill on the 2016-2017 also a reminiscent of the coveted SLS and more of a family resemblance to the AMG brand. Panamericana grill also has some historical significance but Panamericana now is being utilized in all mercedes models.
Both designs have some historical reference but in the end it comes down to personal taste, at least on the GTS and GT models.
UCIMBZ (12-03-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280 4matic 3.0 V6 gas w204
Mr Chris

Originally Posted by California John
Very True. I am now sharing my wife's Bolt - which I enjoy as a nice transportation module. But actually for now it's fine. We've had it for three years and the fact that it has CarPlay and my GTC didn't is funny and testimony to Mercedes's intransigence...and slow-walking of new technologies. However to answer your question, I'm waiting for the prices to be public for a 2021 GTC. They are not available yet to order although I have seen the dealer order guide without prices. Not many changes for the final year of the model as we've known it. I would be happy with a 2021 for a couple of years. Great combo of speed, elegance, nastiness and comfort.
Spoiler

Old 12-22-2020, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
The reason the exhaust pops is because some of the unburnt gas is let into the hot exhaust resulting in a secondary explosion. Some tunes can increase this or reduce it. If you drive less than 5000 miles a year just keep doing A services you can replace your own air filter and do all the other nonsense that are performed in the B service. The brake fluid does need to be changed after three years and the transmission fluid is re-changed every four years or 30,000 miles.
It’s a bit different: brake flush every 2 years. This should be done regardless of mileage. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. You will get better performance and lot longer caliper life if you do this regularly. Our calipers are not cheap!
Transmission and diff fluid flush at 50,000 miles. Some choose to do the first one at 12,500 miles; but that is not recommended by Mercedes. On my C63 507 the first diff flush was at ~3000 miles, so I think MB would say to do it sooner if necessary. Still, I may do my first one at 12,500 anyway.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope you get one as they're absolutely stunning machines - and I picked one over some very competent rivals.

THE GOOD: Very capable sports GT with strong mechanical underpinnings and emotive sound
  1. Excellent 4.0 lt V8 engine with some pretty spectacular performance numbers on the GTC
  2. Emotive sound form the engine and exhaust at idle, and on the road. Exhaust sound is not crass - its pretty high end.
  3. Very robust mechanicals, in particular superb suspension and braking systems
  4. Nice balance of high-performance power and a luxurious cabin (compared to an Aston Martin, Ferrari or McLaren)
  5. Can be used comfortably as a daily driver unlike many exotics and supercars. Does not bottom out at every speed bump or driveway incline which is a huge win for me.
  6. Triple-layers roof fabric that is surprisingly good dampening road noise and keeping out the heat. Surprisingly practical.
  7. You get a lot of admiring glances, thumbs up, smiles and phones out; not the ****ery reserved for Ferrari and Lambo drivers
  8. The design will not age quickly, its sheer elegance and proportions likely push it into classics territory in about 10-15 years. Mine's a keeper.
  9. Surprisingly good mpg and low emissions, if your country's road or car tax severely penalises both.
  10. Annual 10000 mile services reasonable. Reassuringly expensive as I have described it. Not a dollar-sink.
  11. AMG aftersales is pretty good - well trained techs (in the UK, the guy gave me his mobile number!) and Customer Service is very prompt and professional. Usual high standards of AMG goodwill even out of warranty **if you ask nicely**

THE BAD: Some weird eccentricities from the Merc AMG parts bin (not limited to the GTC); less frustrating than the Italians (cars, I mean, naturally) but there if you want it.
  1. The centre console cup holder cover can sometimes stick open, you can lubricate it lightly & shake it free but it may stick again. Only solution is too (alarmingly) replace the centre console but it will stick again.
  2. There is a very very light clattering sound when you drive hard (almost not many do hear) and that's the (butterfly) exhaust valve. There is a special grease but it wears off.
  3. Drainage channels absolutely must to be cleaned every annual service - especially the ones near the doors (near the rear wheels) and the ones at the base of the windscreen. Gunk and leaves block it and cause expensive water ingress especially in the rear areas near ECU modules (read: very expensive)
  4. Fuel filler flap is bonded to the rear quarter panel so any change there is a big job. This is if the fuel cap ever gets notchy or needs repair/replacing.
  5. In general, replacement parts are not held in stock so there is the usual delay of back orders (hello supercars!) and you need an AMG trained Merc service garage (not all Merc dealerships have one despite the signage and gladly selling you one!!!)

THE UGLY: COMAND system getting a bit dated and don't get me started on the new centre console!!!!!
  1. Not a fault per se, but the 2017-2019 models use the previous version of the MBUX COMAND system and interface (the screens, menus and Nav etc) are pretty dated. The MY2020 has improved things considerably. Likewise no native Apple CarPlan / Android Auto,
  2. The MY2020 centre console has new haptic buttons and tiny screen graphics, rather than the chunky knobs which I love - and that I think have more character
  3. That's about it, whats not to love!!!!

Coupe vs Roadster is a matter of personal choice and your geography.
All I will say is there is a reason why the Roadster is at a premium (beyond the roof system and stiffening) - it is seen as more Newport than Rosslyn (just a NY state thing, excuse me)
Arguably not the best choice in certain extreme climates, especially if you use it as a daily driver.

Suggestion:
Make sure you get the right spec - the standard GTC Roadster is not a dog, it comes well specified but there are some tasty OEM bits you can add on, before you go modding....

1. Seat Ventilation / Cooling
2. Forged 10-spoke Alloy Wheels from the AMG Performance Studio (in Black Chrome / Polished Gun Metal that came standard with the GTC Edition 50
3. A GTR styling kit that in an AMG Performance studio special order if thats what you want. Love the active rear diffuser from the GTR, couldnt live with the fixed aerofoil/rear wing.
4. On the 2017-2019 car, make sure you get the latest software updates that improve suspension and handling and also emissions. In Europe they do adjust exhaust noise though.

Is there a better high-performance sports GT?
Yes. Easy. The updated 2019/2020 Bentley Continental GTC. Does all of the above and oodles more.
A bit late to the game on this... nice assessment, although I would never ever consider a Continental as an alternative - not even close! You must just prefer cars that have “GTC” in the name! Is the Opel GTC next?!

Some of the key must have options on the GTC (they may be std in some markets): active transmission and suspension mounts, carbon trim (although stupid expensive), and Burmester High End (not cheap, but a big difference over the std Burmester).

Enjoy!