Sponsored by:

The good, the bad and the ugly....GTC Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Roadster
The good, the bad and the ugly....GTC Roadster

Lets face it.. There is nothing ugly about the GTC Roadster... I saw a black GTC Roadster at the stop light and I'm hooked. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of videos trying to learn more about them. This will be used as a cruiser.. not planning on doing any track work with her... The three "bads" I've come across were excessive cabin heat, excessive cabin noise and very stiff uncomfortable ride. I've read some ideas like reducing tire pressure to make the ride more comfortable.. wondering if that's enough... but the excessive cabin heat and excessive cabin noise has me concerned. Can those that own one give me your impression? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
S2000,NSX 1st gen,NSX 2nd gen,E320,Range Rover L405 & Evoque,SRT10,Atom,Xbow,Gallardo,AMG GTS etc
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
Lets face it.. There is nothing ugly about the GTC Roadster... I saw a black GTC Roadster at the stop light and I'm hooked. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of videos trying to learn more about them. This will be used as a cruiser.. not planning on doing any track work with her... The three "bads" I've come across were excessive cabin heat, excessive cabin noise and very stiff uncomfortable ride. I've read some ideas like reducing tire pressure to make the ride more comfortable.. wondering if that's enough... but the excessive cabin heat and excessive cabin noise has me concerned. Can those that own one give me your impression? Thanks!
That is interesting, excessive cabin noice due to the fact that it is a roadster would be normal. But excessive cabin heat applies to the roadster only or to all models?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
What heat?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
The three "bads" I've come across were excessive cabin heat, excessive cabin noise and very stiff uncomfortable ride.
Excessive cabin heat only happens if your driving in 100 plus degree temps with the top down. It's hard to fault an overall excellent HVAC system in those conditions. The fix is as simple as putting the top up.

"Excessive cabin noise"? It's a Roadster......nuff said.

This it the best riding AMG that I've owned. The suspension is well damped and forgiving. It's on the firm side but comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
smartimarti (09-19-2021)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Take the secondary cats out. That’s 3000 degrees under your feet.
JSwan724 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
GTC roadster
Just sit on a small pillow
and the car becomes much more comfortable I do it when a taking the GTC for
long trips and feels confortable like a SL
x96535 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I am fairly new to the GT (not C). I agree with the noise and uncomfortable ride, but I fully expected both and for my use I am OK. BTW, my use is same as yours...cruiser. I most recently came from a Bentley Continental GT which can be a bumpy ride on 20s (some go 21s and I cannot imagine that). This is a rougher ride than the Bentley, of course. I also came from the Corvette world and they're similar in ride, but a whole lot cheaper materials and workmanship.

Another common issue with these is the vibrations and rattles. Being the analytical (retired mechanical engineer) type I am, I've begun chasing those down and seeing if I can improve any. I've already discovered one noticeable rattle that occurs over bumps is the door handles (door pulls). They have enough free play, and not enough spring to clatter over bumps. I can isolate the driver's door as I'm driving and eliminate a distinctive sound right close to my left ear, so now I'll work on something to dampen the pull so it's dead sound.

All in all, it's not a luxury car ride, but shouldn't make a whole lot of difference cruising.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
It's not a luxury cruiser, but I don't remember any complaints regarding excessive cabin heat. The AC works just as well as any other Mercedes. I had dinamica seats on my GTC roadster, which removes the perforated leather cooling option. So if thats a big concern, get a leather only spec with cooled seats. The "airscarf" by the headrest only blasts hot air on your neck, which is fantastic for cold weather, but useless if you live in a warm place. I drove with the top down even in December in PA because of that feature.

I would not describe the cabin noise as excessive. There are certainly louder cars out there. I know my GTC was on the quieter side compared to some of my friends' Italian and American cars. However, you are going to get pops and bangs that really "pop" like gunshots if you drive aggressively + drive in sport+/race. Some of those pops will be loud. It's not obnoxious and drawn out like the aftermarket BMW, Audi, Merc tunes are.

Suspension is stiff. It is stiff in the softest setting. It isn't as stiff as KW V3s dialed down to track settings, but if anyone tells you it isn't stiff - they would be lying. It is 100% bearable though, no doubt about that. Depending on where you live, you might not have any issues even with the stiffness. In PA, our roads are worn down with harsh transitions between segments repaved/patched, so thats why I mention that.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Like Rock states, GT models are the best handling AMG's and all AMG's have a firm ride by design.
But the GTC is much more compliant than our W213 E63s was. Firm but not stiff.

I have never experienced excessive heat and that would not be specific to an AMG GT. I suppose any car with a soft top in a state like Arizona, Florida, Texas, etc. would experience something similar.
For that, the AC on these cars are great.

In regards to noise, the soft tops are not triple sound insulated like an S-Class cab or Bentley and why would you want that? You want to hear that glorious exhaust
We had a SL before which featured a folding hard top, effectively turning the car into a coupe. This is not the same.

I look at this as a classic roadster design best driven top-down which delivers a visceral driving experience no other Mercedes can match.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
I wonder if the OP is comparing the GTC to other roadsters regarding heat and noise, or just other cars. I only buy roadsters and I can say that the GTC is kind of par for the course on noise, and doesn't seem to be overly warm inside.

I'll agree on the ride, and more specifically the seat. My GTC has the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had in any sports car for my backside. I am tall and thin so your mileage may vary.

I can highly recommend the Purple seat pads though. They are amazing, and the fabric cover they come with matches my interior fabric pretty well.

www.purple.com.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster, 1998 Panoz Roadster A.I.V.
I guess excessive noise depends on what you were driving before the GTC roadster. My previous car was an S2000. The GTC roadster doesn't have near as much cabin noise as the S2000, but still let's you hear the exhaust. I would not want the cabin to totally isolate you from the outside. That's the reason I own a roadster!
Old 11-21-2020, 06:23 PM

2019 AMG GTC Roadster
I appreciate all the replies. The heat I was referring to was from a video where he said he put his phone in the center compartment and it was so hot that his phone overheated. Said it was like a small oven. Guessing from the replies that's not true?

So we decided to visit the local MB dealer today. He had a 2019 GTC hard top that we've previously drooled over through the window. We were jumping back and forth between the GTC and SL550 with the top down playing with the experiences. He said, you want to hear the exhaust? Sure.. He fires up the GTC for a quick audio check. WOW.. We played for about 20 minutes and decided it was time to leave when he asks if we have time to take her out for a test drive.. DUHH... Let me say, ALL the videos I've watched EVERY TIME someone drives this car they say WOW and smile. We were actually laughing and not just that little chuckle. Deep satisfying laughing. This car was so much fun to drive. The cabin noise was a non issue and the road comfort wasn't bad at all. Not a long enough ride to get any sense of console heat.. Actually we were having so much fun the console heat didn't even come to mind. I'm guessing that exhaust BANG between shifting gears is normal? What an experience. We took out the SL550 just for the top down experience. Nice riding car and all but not the toy the GTC would be.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I appreciate all the replies. The heat I was referring to was from a video where he said he put his phone in the center compartment and it was so hot that his phone overheated. Said it was like a small oven. Guessing from the replies that's not true?

So we decided to visit the local MB dealer today. He had a 2019 GTC hard top that we've previously drooled over through the window. We were jumping back and forth between the GTC and SL550 with the top down playing with the experiences. He said, you want to hear the exhaust? Sure.. He fires up the GTC for a quick audio check. WOW.. We played for about 20 minutes and decided it was time to leave when he asks if we have time to take her out for a test drive.. DUHH... Let me say, ALL the videos I've watched EVERY TIME someone drives this car they say WOW and smile. We were actually laughing and not just that little chuckle. Deep satisfying laughing. This car was so much fun to drive. The cabin noise was a non issue and the road comfort wasn't bad at all. Not a long enough ride to get any sense of console heat.. Actually we were having so much fun the console heat didn't even come to mind. I'm guessing that exhaust BANG between shifting gears is normal? What an experience. We took out the SL550 just for the top down experience. Nice riding car and all but not the toy the GTC would be.
Had one for three years. Had to return it a couple of weeks ago as the lease ran out. I think the suspension was just fine. I never felt it was too stiff at all. It was better than the GTS I had had before. No problems with excess cabin heat. Yes it could be noisy but after all it's a ragtop. For those who say that a person is lying if they say the suspension is not too stiff, I say making oneself the measure of all is a prescription for an unhappy life.
JSwan724 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by California John
Had one for three years. Had to return it a couple of weeks ago as the lease ran out. I think the suspension was just fine. I never felt it was too stiff at all. It was better than the GTS I had had before. No problems with excess cabin heat. Yes it could be noisy but after all it's a ragtop. For those who say that a person is lying if they say the suspension is not too stiff, I say making oneself the measure of all is a prescription for an unhappy life.
Well now the obvious question is what did you replace it with??
Old 11-21-2020, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Skilly
Well now the obvious question is what did you replace it with??
Very True. I am now sharing my wife's Bolt - which I enjoy as a nice transportation module. But actually for now it's fine. We've had it for three years and the fact that it has CarPlay and my GTC didn't is funny and testimony to Mercedes's intransigence...and slow-walking of new technologies. However to answer your question, I'm waiting for the prices to be public for a 2021 GTC. They are not available yet to order although I have seen the dealer order guide without prices. Not many changes for the final year of the model as we've known it. I would be happy with a 2021 for a couple of years. Great combo of speed, elegance, nastiness and comfort.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Just for reference this is what excessive heat and noise look like.
The following 9 users liked this post by UCIMBZ:
AMG 17GT (11-22-2020), California John (11-22-2020), ChargedMB (11-23-2020), dusto (11-23-2020), MalibuScott (11-22-2020), MercAMGgts2016 (11-23-2020), places (11-24-2020), thebishman (11-22-2020), ZephyrAMG (11-22-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Just for reference this is what excessive heat and noise look like.
that’s the best HEAT and noise of all time...
The following 2 users liked this post by ZephyrAMG:
MercAMGgts2016 (11-23-2020), UCIMBZ (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by Saudio
I wonder if the OP is comparing the GTC to other roadsters regarding heat and noise, or just other cars. I only buy roadsters and I can say that the GTC is kind of par for the course on noise, and doesn't seem to be overly warm inside.

I'll agree on the ride, and more specifically the seat. My GTC has the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had in any sports car for my backside. I am tall and thin so your mileage may vary.

I can highly recommend the Purple seat pads though. They are amazing, and the fabric cover they come with matches my interior fabric pretty well.

www.purple.com.
Saudio - Which of the purple cushions did you get? I think I saw two versions of the car seat and one general seating cushion. You said your backside - are you using the cushion on the seat or the upright part as a cushion for your back? I'm tall, thin too and might try one of these.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Heat is fantastic and if you haven’t seen it, Thief (1981) w James Caan directed by Michael Mann, is a really great movie too.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG GT-C Roadster; 2018 Range Rover Velar;
I hope you get one as they're absolutely stunning machines - and I picked one over some very competent rivals.

THE GOOD: Very capable sports GT with strong mechanical underpinnings and emotive sound
  1. Excellent 4.0 lt V8 engine with some pretty spectacular performance numbers on the GTC
  2. Emotive sound form the engine and exhaust at idle, and on the road. Exhaust sound is not crass - its pretty high end.
  3. Very robust mechanicals, in particular superb suspension and braking systems
  4. Nice balance of high-performance power and a luxurious cabin (compared to an Aston Martin, Ferrari or McLaren)
  5. Can be used comfortably as a daily driver unlike many exotics and supercars. Does not bottom out at every speed bump or driveway incline which is a huge win for me.
  6. Triple-layers roof fabric that is surprisingly good dampening road noise and keeping out the heat. Surprisingly practical.
  7. You get a lot of admiring glances, thumbs up, smiles and phones out; not the ****ery reserved for Ferrari and Lambo drivers
  8. The design will not age quickly, its sheer elegance and proportions likely push it into classics territory in about 10-15 years. Mine's a keeper.
  9. Surprisingly good mpg and low emissions, if your country's road or car tax severely penalises both.
  10. Annual 10000 mile services reasonable. Reassuringly expensive as I have described it. Not a dollar-sink.
  11. AMG aftersales is pretty good - well trained techs (in the UK, the guy gave me his mobile number!) and Customer Service is very prompt and professional. Usual high standards of AMG goodwill even out of warranty **if you ask nicely**

THE BAD: Some weird eccentricities from the Merc AMG parts bin (not limited to the GTC); less frustrating than the Italians (cars, I mean, naturally) but there if you want it.
  1. The centre console cup holder cover can sometimes stick open, you can lubricate it lightly & shake it free but it may stick again. Only solution is too (alarmingly) replace the centre console but it will stick again.
  2. There is a very very light clattering sound when you drive hard (almost not many do hear) and that's the (butterfly) exhaust valve. There is a special grease but it wears off.
  3. Drainage channels absolutely must to be cleaned every annual service - especially the ones near the doors (near the rear wheels) and the ones at the base of the windscreen. Gunk and leaves block it and cause expensive water ingress especially in the rear areas near ECU modules (read: very expensive)
  4. Fuel filler flap is bonded to the rear quarter panel so any change there is a big job. This is if the fuel cap ever gets notchy or needs repair/replacing.
  5. In general, replacement parts are not held in stock so there is the usual delay of back orders (hello supercars!) and you need an AMG trained Merc service garage (not all Merc dealerships have one despite the signage and gladly selling you one!!!)

THE UGLY: COMAND system getting a bit dated and don't get me started on the new centre console!!!!!
  1. Not a fault per se, but the 2017-2019 models use the previous version of the MBUX COMAND system and interface (the screens, menus and Nav etc) are pretty dated. The MY2020 has improved things considerably. Likewise no native Apple CarPlan / Android Auto,
  2. The MY2020 centre console has new haptic buttons and tiny screen graphics, rather than the chunky knobs which I love - and that I think have more character
  3. That's about it, whats not to love!!!!

Coupe vs Roadster is a matter of personal choice and your geography.
All I will say is there is a reason why the Roadster is at a premium (beyond the roof system and stiffening) - it is seen as more Newport than Rosslyn (just a NY state thing, excuse me)
Arguably not the best choice in certain extreme climates, especially if you use it as a daily driver.

Suggestion:
Make sure you get the right spec - the standard GTC Roadster is not a dog, it comes well specified but there are some tasty OEM bits you can add on, before you go modding....

1. Seat Ventilation / Cooling
2. Forged 10-spoke Alloy Wheels from the AMG Performance Studio (in Black Chrome / Polished Gun Metal that came standard with the GTC Edition 50
3. A GTR styling kit that in an AMG Performance studio special order if thats what you want. Love the active rear diffuser from the GTR, couldnt live with the fixed aerofoil/rear wing.
4. On the 2017-2019 car, make sure you get the latest software updates that improve suspension and handling and also emissions. In Europe they do adjust exhaust noise though.

Is there a better high-performance sports GT?
Yes. Easy. The updated 2019/2020 Bentley Continental GTC. Does all of the above and oodles more.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpokenHands:
jamesperegrino (12-28-2020), MercAMGgts2016 (11-24-2020), ZephyrAMG (12-02-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 06:32 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Question

Originally Posted by California John
You can lease these cars? I thought they'd be too high on the food chain to lease, wow. Can you share you lease deals? I may want to look into one as I have never leased and am now considering it! Danke!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 AM

2019 AMG GTC Roadster
Originally Posted by SpokenHands
I hope you get one as they're absolutely stunning machines - and I picked one over some very competent rivals.
Thank you for the detailed reply. This car gives you a multi sensorial experience. The looks, the sound and the feeling of power were amazing.

To be honest, I loved the idle and light throttle tones. I wasn’t crazy about the loud pops between hard throttle gear shifts. I’ve never heard a car do this before. Can someone explain why that happens? Watching videos it seems that’s a desired sound?

What’s involved in the annual 10000 mile service? I hate bringing my vehicles to the dealership. I enjoy doing the simple oil and brakes. Is this a $3K-$5K experience?

How do you find an AMG trained Mercedes service garage? I’m sure if I ask the dealership they will say they can service it. Is the AMG training a certification they should be able to show?

While I don’t live there now, I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY so the Newport vs Roslyn is fully understandable. To me, since this will be our toy, the Roadster gives you more ways to play with it. Top up around the block will be a different experience than top down around the block. At least that’s the way I’m thinking.

Choosing the right specs for this car will be the challenge. Not having the option to see them in person to decide what we like/don’t like. Everyone has their own likes so asking which color looks the best, which interior, etc. is hard. We’ve switched from Black to designo Cardinal Red metalic to Selenite Grey metallic on the Merc build site. Would be great to see them in person and pick what we like from the different cars. Thinking of searching dealer websites one by one to see if I can find any and make some road trips. I did a local search and didn’t find any but then again, the GTC hardtop we test drove didn’t show up on that dealers website for whatever reason.

I just looked at the Bentley Continental GTC. Might be more mechanically advanced but Merc GTC has the better look.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
The reason the exhaust pops is because some of the unburnt gas is let into the hot exhaust resulting in a secondary explosion. Some tunes can increase this or reduce it. If you drive less than 5000 miles a year just keep doing A services you can replace your own air filter and do all the other nonsense that are performed in the B service. The brake fluid does need to be changed after three years and the transmission fluid is re-changed every four years or 30,000 miles.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Saudio - Which of the purple cushions did you get? I think I saw two versions of the car seat and one general seating cushion. You said your backside - are you using the cushion on the seat or the upright part as a cushion for your back? I'm tall, thin too and might try one of these.
For my backside. I got the Royal because I drive a lot and move it from vehicle to vehicle, and that GTC seat is just like sitting on a stone slab to me. It's pretty spongy and sits you up a bit but really really comfortable. The Simple might be a good choice if you are only mildly uncomfortable. They have a good return policy if you want to switch.

A couple things to know, these things emit a bit of a chemical smell when left in a closed car (that goes away quickly), they have to be removed in extreme heat because they can melt, and they take a long time to warm up when it's cold outside. Minor issues compared to being uncomfortable IMHO.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
As a heads up, you can get the same cushions for a LOT less on amazon. I bought the linked one for $16, and it's fantastic. The size of this particular one is comparable to the Purple Simply cushion ($60), albeit a little bit thicker.

Amazon Amazon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The good, the bad and the ugly....GTC Roadster