Purchasing Advise needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2021 | 10:59 PM

Purchasing a used AMG GTS and need advice please

I am looking at a used 2017 AMG GT S with 41k miles. I am planning of using it as a weekend driver and don't expect to put more then 5k or 6k miles a year on it.

Is 41k miles too many miles for a used AMG GT? How reliable are these cars? What issues should I look For?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited by Furuta; 07-11-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2021 | 03:15 PM

2016 AMG GTS
I don't know personally anyone with 41k+ but I'm sure they are on here. I have 36k on my 2016 GTS and the car runs great, I would assume baring some unforeseen issue, these cars should be good to 100k as long as they are maintained. I had an E55 AMG with 120k and ran great, many have over 150k. The most likely failures to me will be electronics and sensors as the car gets older and some of the overengineering. There are very few engines and transmission failures reported. 41k wouldn't bother me.
Old 07-12-2021 | 10:04 PM

@ realien. Thank you so much for the advice.
Old 07-13-2021 | 09:29 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Furuta
@ realien. Thank you so much for the advice.

Prior to the pandemic my GTS was mostly my daily, I'd have no concerns putting 10k a year on it other than depreciation.
Old 07-13-2021 | 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by realien
Prior to the pandemic my GTS was mostly my daily, I'd have no concerns putting 10k a year on it other than depreciation.
Same, I was averaging 8-10k a year dailying mine prior to the pandemic.
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
I am looking at a used 2017 AMG GT S with 41k miles. I am planning of using it as a weekend driver and don't expect to put more then 5k or 6k miles a year on it.

Is 41k miles too many miles for a used AMG GT? How reliable are these cars? What issues should I look For?

Thank you for the help.

Is this a private sale/purchase?

If it’s a dealer, see if you can get a CPO, safety check, service history and a CARFAX. Also, be sure all of the scheduled services are up to date as well as any recalls.

If private sale, see if you can get an MB safety check and extended warranty MB or other vendor along with a CARFAX.

You are near the time mileage wise where you’ll be needing brakes and tires and I think a transmission service ($$).. FWIW: All of this will be documented on a dealer safety check.

The important takeaway is that repairs on these cars are not cheap and the last thing you want is to be hit between the eyes wth a large unplanned repair bill.

Good hunting.

Jerry
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:43 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Is this a private sale/purchase?

If it’s a dealer, see if you can get a CPO, safety check, service history and a CARFAX. Also, be sure all of the scheduled services are up to date as well as any recalls.

If private sale, see if you can get an MB safety check and extended warranty MB or other vendor along with a CARFAX.

You are near the time mileage wise where you’ll be needing brakes and tires and I think a transmission service ($$).. FWIW: All of this will be documented on a dealer safety check.

The important takeaway is that repairs on these cars are not cheap and the last thing you want is to be hit between the eyes wth a large unplanned repair bill.

Good hunting.

Jerry
Good advice, my car needed brake pads, rotors, trans fluid change, and differential fluid change. I got $10k off the price and did the work myself for about $2k, dealer would have been about $6k - $8k

The following users liked this post:
JSwan724 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021 | 03:35 PM

The car is from a dealer. The link is below. I have asked them for a Carfax since on their website they only have the Autocheck. Below is the link to the car in question.

The price goods good. As for maintenance, I plan to do most of it myself, though I will take the vehicle in once a year to MB for its annual 'health" check up.

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG® GT S 4.0L V8 Sunroof Leather Heated Seats Backup Camera Chillicothe, near Kansas City, MO - Woody's (wowwoodys.com)
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:36 PM

AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I'm looking now myself and I'm also near Atlanta. I drove the white one in Duluth, but I'm not a fan of white. The GTS in Miami has over 20k less miles, black is nice. GT near Chicago even less miles, I'd go this way but I'm still struggling with the matte paint. There is an incredible GT gray metallic near the Braves stadium, beautifully modded including Pure Turbos, low miles, but $20k+ more. I'd just as soon get a GT since I'm sure I'll have mine flashed. Eurocharged out of Houston I believe flashed the Marietta one at Solo Motorsports in Norcross. Looking is so fun, the committing the money is then the painful part.
Old 07-15-2021 | 08:33 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Eyeman89
I'm looking now myself and I'm also near Atlanta. I drove the white one in Duluth, but I'm not a fan of white. The GTS in Miami has over 20k less miles, black is nice. GT near Chicago even less miles, I'd go this way but I'm still struggling with the matte paint. There is an incredible GT gray metallic near the Braves stadium, beautifully modded including Pure Turbos, low miles, but $20k+ more. I'd just as soon get a GT since I'm sure I'll have mine flashed. Eurocharged out of Houston I believe flashed the Marietta one at Solo Motorsports in Norcross. Looking is so fun, the committing the money is then the painful part.

I'm in Atlanta too, so if you ever want to chat GTS let me know. I'd wait for a GTS if I was you, partially for the additional options (many GT's don't have the exhaust flaps, so can be quieter) and dynamic mounts were not available (I didn't care about those) , but for re-sale, a GTS will always be more sought after than a GT.

I have the eurocharged tune, and downpipes.
Old 07-15-2021 | 10:56 AM

2016 AMG GTS
The car is from a dealer. The link is below. I have asked them for a Carfax since on their website they only have the Autocheck. Below is the link to the car in question.

The price goods good. As for maintenance, I plan to do most of it myself, though I will take the vehicle in once a year to MB for its annual 'health" check up.

2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG® GT S 4.0L V8 Sunroof Leather Heated Seats Backup Camera Chillicothe, near Kansas City, MO - Woody's (wowwoodys.com)

If you can do you own inspection great, if not pay for a pre-purchase inspection. I did it on a Nissan GTR as I didn't know that car well and then found $4k of minor issues and I got $2k off (as they knew I'd do it myself and dealer service is always more than double), as I mentioned on the GTS once I looked at the brakes I new it needed both pads and rotors, and I called the MB dealership where the previous buyer had it serviced (showed up on the carfax) and I asked if they did any trans of fluid changes and they said no, so I factored that into my negotiation.

On a 41k car I'd want to make sure brakes are good (if you do Brembo front rotors and Zimmerman rear + hawk pads, you'll spend $1200 or so, if you do MB's rotors (marked up Brembo) you'll spend $4). I'd check if the trans fluid and differential fluids were changed. If it has dynamic engine mounts I'd have those checked too, they individually arent' expensive, but the labor can be at the dealer and I think you need Xentry to re-code..
Old 07-15-2021 | 11:28 AM

The GTS in Missouri seems to have dynamic mounts. Aero package, lane tracking, panoramic roof. The interior is pretty basic but has the elbow rest crest. It has the black forged wheels with 9 that go into 18 spokes. Not sure I like all those spokes to clean, but then again they are black.

I started researching GT on this forum the last few weeks. I loved them since they came out and figured I'd think about them once they depreciated somewhat. Assuming I get one, this will be my first Mercedes buy in nearly 20 years, but I still have both of those. Since I've had a couple of Porsche 968s (selling my colledctor one soon), a Vette, an Audi, and a modded BMW 1series that I drive now. My old Mercedes are weird, I have a 190SL extreme bad project car that I took apart, stopped the rust, and just less it sitting. The other is a crazy modded 1977 450SEL 6.9. It even has Recaro style seats and had a large trunk spoiler when I bought it.
Old 07-15-2021 | 11:35 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Eyeman89
The GTS in Missouri seems to have dynamic mounts. Aero package, lane tracking, panoramic roof. The interior is pretty basic but has the elbow rest crest. It has the black forged wheels with 9 that go into 18 spokes. Not sure I like all those spokes to clean, but then again they are black.

I started researching GT on this forum the last few weeks. I loved them since they came out and figured I'd think about them once they depreciated somewhat. Assuming I get one, this will be my first Mercedes buy in nearly 20 years, but I still have both of those. Since I've had a couple of Porsche 968s (selling my colledctor one soon), a Vette, an Audi, and a modded BMW 1series that I drive now. My old Mercedes are weird, I have a 190SL extreme bad project car that I took apart, stopped the rust, and just less it sitting. The other is a crazy modded 1977 450SEL 6.9. It even has Recaro style seats and had a large trunk spoiler when I bought it.
you should post some pics of those in another thread, sound like fun ride. I'm not sure I'll ever have another project car, the 3 months one of my cars sat was enough of a waste if time. I'm though about doing one of the Factory5 cars but I'm not sure I have the patience... . anyway, I'm way off topic
Old 07-15-2021 | 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by realien
you should post some pics of those in another thread, sound like fun ride. I'm not sure I'll ever have another project car, the 3 months one of my cars sat was enough of a waste if time. I'm though about doing one of the Factory5 cars but I'm not sure I have the patience... . anyway, I'm way off topic
To say off topic for a moment - I did a Factory Five ground up including the complete engine build, about 8 years ago. Took me over two years. Paint was the biggest challenge...and yes...patience is a virtue of great value.

And apologies ahead of time for "straying".
Old 07-15-2021 | 03:53 PM

Hopefully Furuta had decided he didn't want that Missouri GTS, it is off the market now. I'm one of those weird people that will buy something without seeing it in person, etc. Hopefully I do not regret it with this car. I'll let y'all know once it gets here and I check it out further.
Old 07-24-2021 | 09:21 PM

The Chicago car went up $1k in price and I think is still on the market. The black Naples GTS lowered their price $2k ish and is now sold. The Edition1 individual owned car also in FL lowered their price $2.5kish today. I should have bought that one since it was already wrapped and I'll have to wrap mine since it will be parked outside most of the time. I didn't know wrapping had gotten so expensive. I plan to have my silver GTS clear wrapped once it gets here. It has 41k miles and they wanted to drive it to me 800miles. I have them hauling instead. I guess with that many miles it wouldn't really matter. I assume I'll drive it around 3k miles per year, unless I love it so much that it causes me to do more long roadtrips..lol.