Sponsored by:

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 03:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
AMG GTR
Warped Rotors

What rotors are you guys using, when you replace them on the gtr's ?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by NSAMG
What rotors are you guys using, when you replace them on the gtr's ?

You mention 'warped rotors', then ask about the GTR.

Can you give us more detail?

Why?: because rotors almost never actually 'warp' they simply get uneven deposits of brake pad material on them that then appears to make them act as if they aren't balanced. Dealers love to tell you your rotors are warped so that they can make you pay out of your butt for new rotors when all the existing rotors need is to be 'cleaned' off.
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
AMG GTR
Ya, the dealership told me they are warped. So sounds like I should get a second opinion. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Ya, the dealership told me they are warped. So sounds like I should get a second opinion. Thanks.
Completely agree with thebish!

VERY unlikely they're warped unless you were aggressively tracking, then it is a very small possibility under unusual conditions. In all my experience warping just never happens on street cars...even aggressively driven on the streets. If a dealer said that to me I'd say something like "thanks" and leave.

If you've done any experimenting with pad composites, some cheaper pads out there will leach resin onto the rotors and, as bishman said, the resin deposits onto the rotors and can give a "slip/grab" feel that can be misdiagnosed as warp.

I've actually put a dial indicator on rotors to prove to some in the past, that the rotor ran true when they were told the rotors were warped. Frankly, never had one actually warped.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 08-14-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I’m assuming you have the iron rotors on your GTR?

Try this: go to a deserted road; get the car up to around 60 mph and then brake as hard as you can without engaging the ABS. Do NOT come to a complete stop; start accelerating again when you get to say 5 mph. Let the rotors cool down by driving for a few minutes without touching the brakes. Then rinse and repeat the above but at a higher speed, say 80 mph.

Do the above around 5 times and make sure you let the rotors cool before coming to a complete stop.

NB: the above assumes that you have the OEM brake pads installed, and not some ‘ceramic non-dusting’ type of aftermarket pad installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-14-2021), NSAMG (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by thebishman
I’m assuming you have the iron rotors on your GTR?

Try this: go to a deserted road; get the car up to around 60 mph and then brake as hard as you can without engaging the ABS. Do NOT come to a complete stop; start accelerating again when you get to say 5 mph. Let the rotors cool down by driving for a few minutes without touching the brakes. Then rinse and repeat the above but at a higher speed, say 80 mph.

Do the above around 5 times and make sure you let the rotors cool before coming to a complete stop.

NB: the above assumes that you have the OEM brake pads installed, and not some ‘ceramic non-dusting’ type of aftermarket pad installed.
Sage advice!
Old 08-15-2021, 03:17 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
And for carbon-ceramic rotors, I've attached the AMG-recomended bed-in that was posted on the private lounge forum some number of years ago.

FWIW, I was able to get some pre-trackday plating on my CCBs with TiKT race pads and cooling ducts (GTR Pro) without being quite so aggressive. I did 10x "1G brake from 120 kph down to 20 kph then accelerate hard back to 120 and repeat immediately" sessions then kept running for the brakes to cool completely (which happens quickly with the brake-cooling ducts). After a track day, they're now nicely plated. #;-)
Attached Files