Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control not working due to battery???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Cruise Control not working due to battery???

Dealership says the adaptive cruise control and regular cruise control isn't working on my GTS due to an potential issue with the battery on the car??? And of course want $2k to "fix" it. Any thoughts around this?
Old 08-13-2021, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
With the car running and producing the recommended volts, if the ACC isn’t working it’s not because of the battery having a bad cell or low voltage would be my guess.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:04 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by thebishman
With the car running and producing the recommended volts, if the ACC isn’t working it’s not because of the battery having a bad cell or low voltage would be my guess.
One would think...anyone out there know where to get the details on how the cruise control works and what are some things to troubleshoot?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I'm going to speculate here. I do not know for certain, but based on some recent experiences I've had with my wife's F-Pace, where "some things" stopped working BC the battery management module isolated them and switched them off BC the battery would no longer fully charge....

So, now to cruise control. This system is first switched on when the driver wants to use it. That energizes the cruise control module. As you come to a stop, and if you don't actively switch off the CC by pushing the stalk forward, the module would stay energized when the "engine off" feature is active on stops in comfort mode. It could be that the battery management module has isolated that feature when it determines there is too much load on the battery at a stop (stoplight), then needing enough to restart the car.

So, although "creative" on my part, I wouldn't be shocked if it were something on those lines.

In the case of my wife's F-Pace, which was still under warranty, they replaced the battery so everything functioned again, and I was unaware until I saw it on the service order.....so, maybe.....

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 08-13-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:57 PM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
It's possible - you should be able to change the battery yourself for much less and see if that resolves it. On my E63, the eco stop-start wasnt working in Comfort mode, and after noticing the car took longer to start I had the battery checked and was told it was bad. I replaced it and while driving the car in Comfort mode for it to warm up, the auto stop-start began working the first time I stopped. Granted it wasnt a big deal since id never use the feature anyway and only drive in Comfort until the oil is at operating temp, but an example of a feature not working due to a bad battery.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With a GTS, you probably have a Lithium battery and the BEM needs to be reset with the new battery data. Resetting it is distantly similar to resetting the oil change interval. The battery module is using actual voltage measurements along with a time element too. It's an algorithm I don't completely understand (not curious enough to pursue it personally). I can reset mine with one of my generic devices, but I'm sure the dealer is billing some serious coin to do it as part of the replacement cost.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Adaptive not working...

Originally Posted by Got One
Dealership says the adaptive cruise control and regular cruise control isn't working on my GTS due to an potential issue with the battery on the car??? And of course want $2k to "fix" it. Any thoughts around this?
I fixed mine by removing the (turning it cck) the front grill MB star together with the backing it sits on. This will give you access to the sending/receiving unit. I found that mine was somewhat dislodged from its mounting pins/studs this caused a wrong alignment of the forward signal which in my case was the problem. By just pushing it back on so it was properly and firmly seated on the mounts the issue was resolved.

In my case the front bumper cover had been off at the dealer (to work on different issues) and perhaps the tech did not push hard enough to have the unit properly seated on the its mounts.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:36 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
I fixed mine by removing the (turning it cck) the front grill MB star together with the backing it sits on. This will give you access to the sending/receiving unit. I found that mine was somewhat dislodged from its mounting pins/studs this caused a wrong alignment of the forward signal which in my case was the problem. By just pushing it back on so it was properly and firmly seated on the mounts the issue was resolved.

In my case the front bumper cover had been off at the dealer (to work on different issues) and perhaps the tech did not push hard enough to have the unit properly seated on the its mounts.
How did you remove it?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:42 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
I fixed mine by removing the (turning it cck) the front grill MB star together with the backing it sits on.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:09 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by 57 GTR
I fixed mine by removing the (turning it cck) the front grill MB star together with the backing it sits on.
Doesn't it slide? Mine is a smooth front so I can't grip the star...how do you turn it?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

Chrome ring with plate counter clockwise.

Kind regards

Stenzel
Old 08-14-2021, 05:26 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi,

Chrome ring with plate counter clockwise.

Kind regards

Stenzel
Thanks, but I just can't seem to grip it enough to turn it...it is pretty flush. Any advice?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Thanks, but I just can't seem to grip it enough to turn it...it is pretty flush. Any advice?
Lean on it hard.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:42 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Bodybuilding? :-) :-) :-)

With both hands. Push and turn.

Kind regards

Stenzel
Old 08-14-2021, 05:47 PM

AMG GTS
Hi,

Bodybuilding? :-) :-) :-)

With both hands. Push and turn.

Kind regards

Stenzel
Only budges a bit...no place to grip.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only budges a bit...no place to grip.
Try using one of those rubber pads they (women...haha) use to open jar lids....What my wife does if I'm not around.

Seriously, if you lay it flat on a completely dry surface, it might aid to get the slight anti-clockwise turn you need.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:09 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Try using one of those rubber pads they (women...haha) use to open jar lids....What my wife does if I'm not around.

Seriously, if you lay it flat on a completely dry surface, it might aid to get the slight anti-clockwise turn you need.
Yup, tried that...as well as latex gloves...the thing barely moves...
Old 08-14-2021, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup, tried that...as well as latex gloves...the thing barely moves...
The slight turn CCW is more of a click than just a turn. Dirt/dust gets in during rains and can act to tighten the parts.

Stenzel suggested pushing in while trying the turn which is good advice. There are plastic "ramps" molded into the parts that kinda lock when turning to install, so you have to overcome that.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Doesn't it slide? Mine is a smooth front so I can't grip the star...how do you turn it?
I was just quoting what Hendrick mentioned, sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:19 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
The slight turn CCW is more of a click than just a turn. Dirt/dust gets in during rains and can act to tighten the parts.

Stenzel suggested pushing in while trying the turn which is good advice. There are plastic "ramps" molded into the parts that kinda lock when turning to install, so you have to overcome that.

Yes, tried that...it is pretty snug...I don't want to break it by pushing to hard.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:55 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

It looks like you must turn the hole part.
I thought at first too.

Turn ONLY the chrome ring with the "Star" plate.
Don't worry, the ring is much more stable, as it looks.

Kind regards
Stenzel

Old 08-15-2021, 03:31 PM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Here you go...

Hi,

It looks like you must turn the hole part.
I thought at first too.

Turn ONLY the chrome ring with the "Star" plate.
Don't worry, the ring is much more stable, as it looks.

Kind regards
Stenzel
Now with pictures

Last edited by Hendrik Koster; 08-15-2021 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
57 GTR (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:41 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
Now with pictures

thanks!!!!!! I will give it a try!! This is worth bookmarking for sure!