Sponsored by:

amg gts transmission level and check engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gts
amg gts transmission level and check engine

So i recently got my gts wrapped (just bumpers were taken off) Afterwards check engine appeared but i was told after some time it would disappear. Does that sound righf? Also the outside temperature now shows —- for some reason. Could it be that they didnt plug the sensor in normally? Also all of a sudden started experiencing issue with transmission fluid not coming to temp level after driving car for 40-50min transmission temp only goes to max 40-42C as shown in the pic. What could be the issue of that? bad sensor?
Old 09-24-2021, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
About the check engine light, nothing they did by removing the bumpers should have set a check engine light. If you had the whole car wrapped, they might have had the gas cap released and possibly started the engine. That would be a common CEL that extinguishes itself after a number of starts, but not too many other P-codes do that.

On the trans temp issue, this is completely unrelated to anything you're describing. The trans temp sensor is in the transaxle. Can't imagine what a wrap has to do with that. BTW, if the sensor has failed, THAT would set a CEL that won't go away until the correct temp is restored.

On the outside (ambient) air temp, the sensor for it is in the front lower grill. Here it's probable they inadvertently put back the front grill and forgot to plug the sensor in.
It is located here:

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 09-24-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:59 PM

amg gts
Thanks for the fully detailed reply. I took the car to the dealership and they told me the Check engine was because of the outside temp sensor which either wasn't connected fully or not connected at all when they removed the front bumper while wrapping the car. They told me there is nothing wrong with transmission sensor. For example i was driving today all day sometimes in comfort and S+ mode and while engine oil temp went to 101 (Operating temp) it goes to operating pretty fast even after cold start. The Transmission temperature was blue most of the time under 50C and maybe twice or 3 times went over 50C and wasn't in blue color anymore. Is this normal? Is it fine to push the car if oil temp is at operating temperature while transmission is still under 50C ?

Thank you so much
Old 09-24-2021, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Sure, the trans temp could be normal given where you're located and based on ambient air temps and how you're driving. Cruising around on a cold morning where air temps might be 8/10/12*C might result in the trans temps you saw. Where I live and for most of the year, air temps are more like 38/40*C and with a little bit north of cruising I will see a lot higher trans temps.

On engine oil temps, remember the difference between them and trans temps is that you have a fire burning on top of the engine oil. Even letting the car sit and idle you can get up to 100*C engine oil temps.

Push the car when engine oil temps reach op temps, a cooler trans oil temp is your friend.

Lastly, makes sense that the ambient air temp sensor set the CEL. I wasn't thinking on that level and forgot the car type. It doesn't on most cars, but I am sure they tied it in on this performance car since it is tracked a lot.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:31 PM

amg gts
That solves every question and concern i had.

Thanks a lot!