Sponsored by:

Tear in AMG GTC convertible roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG GT-C, 2013 GL550, 2012 E550 Coupe
Tear in AMG GTC convertible roof

I just noticed that the convertible mechanism on my 2018 GTC was snagging on the headliner and has caused a tear in the interior fabric in the passenger corner.

Anyone else have this issue with their roadster? I just dropped it off at the dealership and I’m now waiting for the outrageous repair estimate (sadly my warranty just expired in November).

The headliner is a completely separate piece of fabric from the exterior fabric so I’m hoping the mechanism can just be adjusted and that one piece of cloth can be replaced. I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find a part diagram / schematic of the GT roadster roof so I can look up the part number. Anyone seen any diagrams of the roof? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2022, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
I’m very sorry for your damage.

My recommendation would be to ask the dealer to escalate the issue to MB Customer Support and see if they will cover the damage.

They can only say NO.

Good Luck

Jerry
Old 02-11-2022, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 AMG GTC
Hi ngriff,
Thanks for bringing up this issue. I recently purchased 2018 GTC and looks like it has different type of problem on top. Luckily I still have warranty left over and wondering if this can be covered under the warranty. I have no clue why that part is teared off.

Last edited by kuilpark; 02-11-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by ngriff6825
I just noticed that the convertible mechanism on my 2018 GTC was snagging on the headliner and has caused a tear in the interior fabric in the passenger corner.

Anyone else have this issue with their roadster? I just dropped it off at the dealership and I’m now waiting for the outrageous repair estimate (sadly my warranty just expired in November).

The headliner is a completely separate piece of fabric from the exterior fabric so I’m hoping the mechanism can just be adjusted and that one piece of cloth can be replaced. I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find a part diagram / schematic of the GT roadster roof so I can look up the part number. Anyone seen any diagrams of the roof? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Your insurance company can take care if it.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster
Outcome

Hi, I have exactly the same issue, mine is a GTC, what was the outcome? Car is 2018 with 1400 miles, cables snapped.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG GT-C, 2013 GL550, 2012 E550 Coupe
Sorry for the very late reply. Status update: I fought like hell with the dealership and escalated with MB corporate and..... NADA. Wouldn't provide any concessions or discounts to provide the repair. They essentially said they had to replace the entire roof at a cost of $8K+, even though it was just the inner headliner that needed to be repaired. So I clearly didn't proceed.

As of now I have just been babying it and stopping just before the tear reaches the snagging point, and pausing seems to have stopped it from getting worse. My plan is to brush off my sewing skills and cut a fairly small "U" shaped patch with a durable black fabric that matches, and then add another one on the driver side so it appears it was simply a reinforcement piece put there by MB. Best I can do to stop it getting worse and hide the tear. Hope you guys had some luck with getting yours repaired. I'll take photos once I've done my fix.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:44 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
Originally Posted by ngriff6825
Sorry for the very late reply. Status update: I fought like hell with the dealership and escalated with MB corporate and..... NADA. Wouldn't provide any concessions or discounts to provide the repair. They essentially said they had to replace the entire roof at a cost of $8K+, even though it was just the inner headliner that needed to be repaired. So I clearly didn't proceed.

As of now I have just been babying it and stopping just before the tear reaches the snagging point, and pausing seems to have stopped it from getting worse. My plan is to brush off my sewing skills and cut a fairly small "U" shaped patch with a durable black fabric that matches, and then add another one on the driver side so it appears it was simply a reinforcement piece put there by MB. Best I can do to stop it getting worse and hide the tear. Hope you guys had some luck with getting yours repaired. I'll take photos once I've done my fix.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but what about an upholstery shop?
The following users liked this post:
luvair (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by GTConn
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but what about an upholstery shop?
I would also check with a marine boat shop.

Using marine canvas is recommended as it has a more textured surface that gives it an attractive appearance compared to the standard canvas fabric. A marine place would also know correct
adhesive to use. As you know, the repaired surface needs to be very clean. Not soap and water, use rubbing alcohol to remove all residue, inside and out. After repair, I would use Scotch guard (like) fabric protectant to hard the canvas a bit.

It’s a fine line, but may be best after repair, not to keep top down for extended time.

Know is all a bummer. Good luck.