Sponsored by:

GT S - Water Leak - Active Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT S
Question GT S - Water Leak - Active Rear Spoiler

I recently noticed water had somehow leaked into the trunk of my GT S; it was discovered that on one side the adhesive failed between the drain tube plug(?) and the drain hole for water from the rear spoiler compartment. The connector came undone so instead of routing water to a reservoir, it simply drains right into the trunk... Great.

Now, I was quoted ~$2500 to repair from the dealer and was told they "need" to replace a part that only comes with the entire cargo liner which is ~$1050. This seems completely excessive, since I'm not aware of any part failing or breaking aside from the adhesive??

Has anyone else had/seen/heard of this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi Lawlstar,

I am not sure I am following the dealer's logic on the diagnosis. It sounds like they are replacing the cargo liner?? And not the hatch seal (which usually doesn't fail and shouldn't have any connection here)? The water ingress in the hatch area is a common problem. It comes from the drain system in the rear spoiler area failing, usually clogged or disconnected. When that happens the hatch itself will take on the water and the next "outlet" is the hatch hinge lock, where the water will run out of the hatch through the latch and directly into the cargo.

Here is a thread that discusses this and a maintenance suggestion; post #10.

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8275051

Still not following, by your description, whether they are replacing a failed part in the hatch, or the cargo itself. It could be the cargo liner was destroyed by the water ingress and they need to replace it too? The drain failure in the hatch itself usually doesn't require parts replacement, just removing the obstruction, and/or reconnecting the drain tubing that became disturbed. Also, a much bigger problem is how much water the cargo took on and where that ended up, as below the cargo liner there are some serious electronics on both left and right sides.

Hope you follow up with the final resolution.

All the Best,
The following users liked this post:
lawlstar (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Lawlstar,

I am not sure I am following the dealer's logic on the diagnosis. It sounds like they are replacing the cargo liner?? And not the hatch seal (which usually doesn't fail and shouldn't have any connection here)? The water ingress in the hatch area is a common problem. It comes from the drain system in the rear spoiler area failing, usually clogged or disconnected. When that happens the hatch itself will take on the water and the next "outlet" is the hatch hinge lock, where the water will run out of the hatch through the latch and directly into the cargo.

Here is a thread that discusses this and a maintenance suggestion; post #10.

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8275051

Still not following, by your description, whether they are replacing a failed part in the hatch, or the cargo itself. It could be the cargo liner was destroyed by the water ingress and they need to replace it too? The drain failure in the hatch itself usually doesn't require parts replacement, just removing the obstruction, and/or reconnecting the drain tubing that became disturbed. Also, a much bigger problem is how much water the cargo took on and where that ended up, as below the cargo liner there are some serious electronics on both left and right sides.

Hope you follow up with the final resolution.

All the Best,
Thank you @Acta_Non_Verba , yeah, I’m still trying to figure that out myself. I think the tech had left for the day yesterday, so today I should have more detail as to why this work is necessary.

Reading through the thread you linked was informative and also a bit worrisome, though I haven’t seen any other symptoms or issues whatsoever. I believe this was the first time this has happened, I caught it soon after and I took it promptly in for service.

I’ll share what they say today.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
These cargo liners are pretty robust. Pull it out and let it dry. Further cleaning/treatment afterwards if needed. Don't think a replacement is required.
The following users liked this post:
JSwan724 (05-18-2022)