Sponsored by:

GTC Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Roadster
GTC Reliability

This is going to be an off the wall question so be kind. What is the life expectancy of a GTC motor / drivetrain? I'm sure it has a lot to do with how you drive it. We all love the sound and torque of this engine so owners will push their cars a bit to get the torque and feedback this car has to offer. I believe these engines are built with that type of driver in mind. My question came up when you see how fast the price drops and cars with around 20K drop significantly. Is it because they are overpriced from the start or because of how people drive them they will require repairs / rebuilding sooner? I got a 2021 F250 SuperDuty diesel. She's my daily driver and has just under 30K. Dealer told me I could get 3K over what I paid. Two totally different vehicles but looking for a used GTC (since I can't order a new one) it's got me wondering.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:35 AM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I think that's a good question. And it leads me to ask another one, which may be related. Is the design (architecture) of the AMG GT V8 engine the same as design (architecture) of the non AMG 4 liter V8 engines that now populate the balance of Mercedes' V8 line? If so, I suspect that would be a testament to what Mercedes-Benz believes is high reliability.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT
I've owned my 2018 GT C for 17 months and put 18k miles on it. It currently has the CPO warranty for unlimited miles through August of 2025. It has 19.5k on the odometer. To date, I've put gas in it, changed the oil, swap summer/winter tires in the fall/spring, and the required "A" services. That is all. Its been extremely reliable and examples with less than 20k miles currently have an asking price over what I paid for it. I expect the prices will continue to come down on a depreciating asset but over all the GT C is a great car for the price.

I normally change sports cars every 2 years. I'm currently on the waiting list for a ZO7 but will probably have the opportunity to order/buy in 2 - 3 years.

I am NOT in a hurry to sell my GT C as there isn't much out there that can match the car for under 200k.

Bear

The following 2 users liked this post by Damnbear:
JDNGTC (05-19-2022), MTHines (05-17-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The engine is AMG designed and part of the engine family (M176, M177, M178) that covers every V8 in the Mercedes line-up, including non AMG models and EQ-Boost models. No reason to believe that they won't last 150k-200k+ miles as prior MB V8's have.

The AMG GT models are also relatively bare-bone models in terms of consumer electronics and convenience features which usually increase reliability. But as these cars tend to be the third, fourth or fifth car for their owners, they are driven for relatively few miles and higher mile specimen will take a bigger hit in depreciation. AMG's and M-Cars traditionally take a big hit in depreciation anyway; which doesn't make them any less desirable...
Old 05-16-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The engine is AMG designed and part of the engine family (M176, M177, M178) that covers every V8 in the Mercedes line-up, including non AMG models and EQ-Boost models. No reason to believe that they won't last 150k-200k+ miles as prior MB V8's have.

The AMG GT models are also relatively bare-bone models in terms of consumer electronics and convenience features which usually increase reliability. But as these cars tend to be the third, fourth or fifth car for their owners, they are driven for relatively few miles and higher mile specimen will take a bigger hit in depreciation. AMG's and M-Cars traditionally take a big hit in depreciation anyway; which doesn't make them any less desirable...
Was banking on this depreciation hit but here in Canada 2018/2019 GTCs are priced around $175k CAD partly to be blamed on the general used car market status everywhere
Old 05-17-2022, 09:19 AM

2019 AMG GTC Roadster
Originally Posted by Wolfman
AMG's and M-Cars traditionally take a big hit in depreciation anyway; which doesn't make them any less desirable...
Mostly with the 2018 and 2019's I'm finding 2 and 3 owner cars. I guess my concern is around how people drive them. The new toy how fast can she go, quick take off's will always be there. Everyone does it and this car was designed for it. The more owners the more she will be driven hard to find out what she can do. Being an AMG can the car handle it..
Old 05-17-2022, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
Mostly with the 2018 and 2019's I'm finding 2 and 3 owner cars. I guess my concern is around how people drive them. The new toy how fast can she go, quick take off's will always be there. Everyone does it and this car was designed for it. The more owners the more she will be driven hard to find out what she can do. Being an AMG can the car handle it..
Hi Steve,

You're kinda in a tough spot here looking at these cars given your concerns. I'm guessing, by your comments, you're searching for a garage queen. These are track built cars, so it's likely they saw some action with previous owners. In a recent poll we took here on this forum, 66% of owners who participate here track their cars once or more times.

If you want a used performance car that might have better odds, the C8 Corvette is one that is still purchased by a large percentage of "older" owners who have owned Corvettes all their lives and don't really drive them much. Garage queens are more plentiful there, but even with that, lots more C8 owners are making it to the track than in past models.

The dilemma - You step into a bar and see a beautiful woman sitting there drinking by herself...."I wonder how many times she's been kissed?"...LOL...
The following 7 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
AMG 17GT (05-17-2022), Damnbear (05-17-2022), daybx (05-23-2022), Hetzle (05-17-2022), PWR2W8 (05-17-2022), reignz (05-18-2022), sevenhead (05-18-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:04 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
Can anyone refresh my memory, but I thought there was a post a few years ago of a video or something that talked about AMG running this engine at redline for five and a half months or something. I remember thinking that it was incredible, but I searched and can't find where I saw that. If that was right, then that's pretty impressive for this engine, so reliability should be pretty good. Can anyone back me up on this or am I imagining it?
Old 05-19-2022, 02:27 AM

Received 237 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BucsFan
Can anyone refresh my memory, but I thought there was a post a few years ago of a video or something that talked about AMG running this engine at redline for five and a half months or something. I remember thinking that it was incredible, but I searched and can't find where I saw that. If that was right, then that's pretty impressive for this engine, so reliability should be pretty good. Can anyone back me up on this or am I imagining it?
Indeed there was. I too was dumbstruck by the reported duration of redline:

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post7720013
The following users liked this post:
BucsFan (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 08:44 AM

2019 AMG GTC Roadster
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
The dilemma - You step into a bar and see a beautiful woman sitting there drinking by herself...."I wonder how many times she's been kissed?"...LOL...
Now that there is funny..
Here's my twist. You step into a biker bar and see a beautiful woman sitting there drinking by herself. You know she's been ridden hard. You wonder how hard and how many times. On the outside she's gorgeous but under the hood you wonder what needs rebuilding.. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveKoz:
Acta_Non_Verba (05-19-2022), thebishman (05-20-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
Now that there is funny..
Here's my twist. You step into a biker bar and see a beautiful woman sitting there drinking by herself. You know she's been ridden hard. You wonder how hard and how many times. On the outside she's gorgeous but under the hood you wonder what needs rebuilding.. :-)
Good one! Even better than mine...LOL...