Detecting a tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 04:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
Detecting a tune

So I had a long talk with an MB technician today. Said MB won’t detect a tune if the ECU is returned to stock AND the CVN number match the last update. He said that CVN number match is important because they change it with every software update. Those numbers go to a central database and if they don’t match the car is flagged. The implication is that if you return it to “stock” for another maintenance and use and old CVN even after they’ve done a software update it will flag. Was wondering if any has heard of this??
Old 02-12-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by MikeGLS450
So I had a long talk with an MB technician today. Said MB won’t detect a tune if the ECU is returned to stock AND the CVN number match the last update. He said that CVN number match is important because they change it with every software update. Those numbers go to a central database and if they don’t match the car is flagged. The implication is that if you return it to “stock” for another maintenance and use and old CVN even after they’ve done a software update it will flag. Was wondering if any has heard of this??
He's referring to the STAR system that is essentially the blueprint for the cars build. Its a master record of all of the aspects of the car. People that have changed to the latest NAV or updated to the facelift headlights will have their mods fail post updates because of this - it resets to what is supposed to be factory settings. These kind of resets, or updates are pretty rare....like count on one hand rare. For your tune, if you had an HHT and returned it to stock before your service, it should go through without an issue.

After its done, there may be an issue where you have to send back your ECU or HHT for updating. Again, pretty rare moment...most of us will never have a software update for the life of the vehicle.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Skilly
He's referring to the STAR system that is essentially the blueprint for the cars build. Its a master record of all of the aspects of the car. People that have changed to the latest NAV or updated to the facelift headlights will have their mods fail post updates because of this - it resets to what is supposed to be factory settings. These kind of resets, or updates are pretty rare....like count on one hand rare. For your tune, if you had an HHT and returned it to stock before your service, it should go through without an issue.

After its done, there may be an issue where you have to send back your ECU or HHT for updating. Again, pretty rare moment...most of us will never have a software update for the life of the vehicle.
The issue isn’t having an official firmware update from MB, but rather getting a tune to modify the ECU, reversing the tune back to OEM for maintenance purposes, and then taking the car in for routine maintenance or say something with the DCT; Suspension, etc. needs looking at. The tech hooks up the Star system to the OBD 2 and bingo, the count, (number of times software has been modified in the ECU?) is off. MB can then state the ECU has been modified and you could well have a warranty coverage right on your hands. It becomes a crapshoot.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by thebishman
The issue isn’t having an official firmware update from MB, but rather getting a tune to modify the ECU, reversing the tune back to OEM for maintenance purposes, and then taking the car in for routine maintenance or say something with the DCT; Suspension, etc. needs looking at. The tech hooks up the Star system to the OBD 2 and bingo, the count, (number of times software has been modified in the ECU?) is off. MB can then state the ECU has been modified and you could well have a warranty coverage right on your hands. It becomes a crapshoot.
So, I have heard mix reviews on whether MB has a counter - in fact, I have heard BMW does and MB doesn't. I know first hand of BMWs being flagged with thier counter, but don't have first hand account of an MB being flagged this way...heard it referenced a bunch of times. Just not clear to me if this is a 'boogieman', or legit concern. I was in for service last week, and my tech asked if I had a tune - when I said I did he was like "cool, we don't care or track that kind of thing, I was just wondering.". When I leaned in a little they basically said, don't be an idiot, or make it hard for them to overlook (ie: catless downpipes, tune etc). Also, it shouldnt be lost on us that some of the MB dealerships actually rep RennTECH!

That said, SO MUCH of this depends on your dealer and the relationship you keep with them.

Last edited by Skilly; 02-12-2023 at 12:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skilly:
AMGstar305 (02-12-2023), thebishman (02-13-2023), ZAC MOTORSPORT (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gtc
thks so the best way to avoid this is with a Racechip box then https://www.racechip.com/presse-news...-63-amg-s.html as opposed to an ECU tune
Old 02-13-2023, 07:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GT-C Roadster
Unfortunately, it appears they do not offer a chip package for our AMG GT models.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:29 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
According to the page linked below, they should have released a RaceChip unit for the GTS by now. They were working on one that plugs into the ECU connector due to the difficulty of reaching the sensors (I know it was a chore on the C63 S). I run a RaceChip on our C43 and find that it works well, offers a nice improvement while still being very driveable (street and track). If you drive conservatively, I've also recorded slightly better mileage (with the RaceChip in "full on" mode, which is where it always is, for me). While there are options that provide a greater performance boost, if you're looking for a nice, no-hassle (and removeable) boost option, in my experience RaceChip is a good choice. I also like that it retains most of the safety protections built into the ECU.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 705 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Chinese balloons detected your tune ….
Old 02-14-2023, 02:20 AM

amg gtc
Originally Posted by speadracer08
Unfortunately, it appears they do not offer a chip package for our AMG GT models.
if you look on the Video comments, they said its going live for the GTS/C in the next few days!
Old 02-14-2023, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
These downstream tunes NEVER integrate to the car like an ECU tune. They have glitches and create inconsistent behaviors with the motor like cut out/hesitation. I've used this product on a C63s and ended up ripping it out.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:47 AM

amg gtc
Race Chip confirmed they will release the product for the AMG GTS/C in Feb 2023 a week ago
Old 02-14-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GT-C Roadster
Thank you Skilly for the feedback. I was considering Race Chip as an easier install/disable option to an ECU tune for when taking to dealership services.
The following users liked this post:
Skilly (02-17-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 01:21 PM

Received 445 Likes on 239 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by speadracer08
Thank you Skilly for the feedback. I was considering Race Chip as an easier install/disable option to an ECU tune for when taking to dealership services.
Hi,

By far the simplest is a second ECU. Any good tuner can do that.
On the 190, the ECU is freely and conveniently accessible.
With 2 x brackets, you don't even need tools. The exchange then takes 30 seconds.

The fewer parts, the fewer things can go wrong. :-)

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 02-14-2023, 02:00 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Skilly
These downstream tunes NEVER integrate to the car like an ECU tune. They have glitches and create inconsistent behaviors with the motor like cut out/hesitation. I've used this product on a C63s and ended up ripping it out.
While I'll agree that they can't do what an ECU tune can do (which can also be a feature), I've never experienced any aberrant behavior with the RaceChip running.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by user33
While I'll agree that they can't do what an ECU tune can do (which can also be a feature), I've never experienced any aberrant behavior with the RaceChip running.
Just max out its profile and you will find it there - it operates a lot like the pedal box, better in the mid ranges vs. at its peak ability. To which I will say, before someone chimes in with "just turn it down", I was using it within the limits of its design.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:35 AM

amg gtc
how much does a replica ECU cost for an AMG GTC please?