Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - GT-R broken at dealership for almost 6 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 AMG GT-R
As an update, the dealership really stepped up and got me out of the car at a reasonably small loss to me (based on my purchase price of the GT-R). They put me in a brand new SL55 without any money changing hands. While it may not be the same as the GT-R, I can at least put this behind me and enjoy something new.

I’m immensely grateful to the dealership, as I didn’t even purchase the car from them. This could’ve been significantly worse from a financial standpoint, and we still have no answers as to what’s really wrong with the car.
The following 11 users liked this post by DaveH - GTR:
California John (04-16-2023), fxmixer (04-15-2023), GTConn (07-20-2023), hyperion667 (04-14-2023), jb123mb (04-14-2023), JSwan724 (04-14-2023), litumup411 (04-15-2023), MalibuScott (04-16-2023), reignz (04-16-2023), thebishman (04-14-2023), Wolfman (04-14-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-14-2023, 09:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
Glad to hear you're pleased with the outcome. Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-14-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S500, 2013 E350 cab
That's great news! I was hoping you'd get a positive outcome. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 04-15-2023, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by DaveH - GTR
As an update, the dealership really stepped up and got me out of the car at a reasonably small loss to me (based on my purchase price of the GT-R). They put me in a brand new SL55 without any money changing hands. While it may not be the same as the GT-R, I can at least put this behind me and enjoy something new.

I’m immensely grateful to the dealership, as I didn’t even purchase the car from them. This could’ve been significantly worse from a financial standpoint, and we still have no answers as to what’s really wrong with the car.
Glad you got some closure. Well, you can’t get away without giving us a comparison of your SL55 to the GT R.
The following users liked this post:
California John (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 702 Likes on 522 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Can you post VIN of old POS car to ensure anyone who reads this to stay away from that car.
The following 4 users liked this post by ygmn:
Case1906 (04-15-2023), litumup411 (04-15-2023), MalibuScott (04-16-2023), MBNRG (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 AMG GTR

So glad to hear they tried to do right by you! I hope you're able to enjoy the new car and put this bad experience behind you.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:10 PM

2018 AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by ygmn
Can you post VIN of old POS car to ensure anyone who reads this to stay away from that car.
I will post the VIN, but not just yet.

Regarding the SL - it’s certainly not a GTR, much less precise, and focused. However I’m far more impressed than I thought I would be. I’d planned on taking the deal and moving the SL on in a few months, but I’m actually pleasantly surprised by it.

Looks are subjective, but it’s a very pretty car, less muscular and very sleek. The interior is stunning (mine is red and black) and has a real sense of occasion. It’s brimming with technology, and a very comfortable place to be.

It’s definitely slower than the GTR, not so much off the line (4wd) but it never really has the savagery at the top end like the GTR did. Likewise, the exhaust is nowhere near as absurd as the GTR, but it puts out some pretty significant snaps and bangs (more than I’d expect for an SL). Handling is decent, steering is lacking feel, and certainly doesn’t have the razor sharp front end like the GTR did, but on the street at least, it corners dead flat, and hides its weight decently.

Overall I’m impressed. I expected to thoroughly dislike it, but I may actually keep it and add something else alongside it later, perhaps when the new GTR launches.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveH - GTR:
Case1906 (04-19-2023), fxmixer (04-16-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Hello,

I've been reading the forums for some time now, and sadly my first post is going to be one of frustration and despair.

Currently my GT-R has been sitting at a dealer in Florida for almost 6 months total, with over 4 months being this particular stay. The full details of the issue and timeline of events are detailed below. At this point I'm at a loss as to what to do, and after 4 months I was asked by the dealer to contact Mercedes CAC. Initially they were responsive, and even sourced a replacement ECU (didn't fix the issue sadly), but they have since stopped responding to me by phone or email.

If anyone has any advice on how best to proceed, I would be eternally grateful. As it stands, I have a $200k paperweight, that was still running when I delivered it to the dealer, yet now is totally inoperable. I am certainly no stranger to exotic and high end cars, and have owned cars from almost every marque, but never have I experienced this.

=====

I purchased the car in September 2022 and traded in a 2022 Audi R8 (purchased new). Prior to purchasing the AMG GT-R, it had received a replacement lithium ion battery in July or August of 2022. Within 3 weeks of owning the car, and approximately 500 miles, I had my first warning about the battery not charging on the dash, recommending to stop the car. I purchased a lithium ion charger from CTEK and the issue went away for about a week. This issue returned, culminating in multiple warning lights, and stuttering on gearshifts. I took the car to Mercedes *** where the car sat for almost 3 weeks before being diagnosed with a faulty alternator. This was ordered, and about a week later I received the car back, supposedly fixed (1 month total to repair).

Within 2 weeks of receiving the car back, the battery charging errors came back but more severe, with multiple warning lights, loss of ABS, traction control, rear wheel steering, unable to shift gears, and stuttering on acceleration. I limped the car to the dealership (Mercedes ***) on December 1st 2022. The car was diagnosed with a faulty rear SAM within 3 days, and the part was ordered. After 2 weeks the part arrived, and I was told that Mercedes would not allow the repair unless the ECU and battery were also replaced at the same time. After a month of not being able to obtain a new battery, Mercedes now agreed to allow the repair to continue with just the SAM and ECU. Once these new parts were installed, I was told the new parts could not be programmed to the car (early January). A ticket was raised with Mercedes HQ to request advice on how to proceed, but after 2 months of no response, a decision was finally made to order further replacement parts. These parts were unable to be obtained, with no ETA from Mercedes (another month passes). Eventually I was asked to call Mercedes CAC to create a ticket for assistance. A new ECU was miraculously found, and delivered the next day. However, this did not resolve the problem, and we are back at the same issue of being unable to program the new ECU to the car. Another ticket has been created with Mercedes HQ, and they have still not responded. The car in its current state will not start, and has numerous warning lights on the dash.

To the dealership's credit, they have kept the car indoors at least, but I am getting absolutely nowhere with this. I'm stuck with a car I cannot drive, and cannot sell because Mercedes themselves cannot figure out how to resolve the issue, and will not communicate a solution to the dealer.

Thank you,
Dave
Very unfortunate. Your dealership is staffed with morons who can’t fix the car. Get it out of there ASAP and go to a better dealership. If you’re in Florida, you should have many choices, especially if you’re near a big city.

Seems like a ground wire issue - this was documented before in this forum. Have the new dealer check all the wiring, starting with the rear truck SAM. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2023, 12:13 PM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
What is needed...

Originally Posted by Surge
Very unfortunate. Your dealership is staffed with morons who can’t fix the car. Get it out of there ASAP and go to a better dealership. If you’re in Florida, you should have many choices, especially if you’re near a big city.

Seems like a ground wire issue - this was documented before in this forum. Have the new dealer check all the wiring, starting with the rear truck SAM. Good luck!
Situations/conditions like this require a complete pin out of the ECU [ see my post > https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...u-pin-out.html < ] and reference these to the MB electrical schematics for all the required signals the ECU needs for everything to work normally. I don't think you will find any dealer willing to take the time to do this other than changing out components, whereby they can charge their time back to Mercedes. In my case, this is how I found a faulty wire that was inside the loom running from the oil temperature sensor to the ECU.
After I made the correction, all is fine. I do understand your frustration.

Best wishes and good luck!

The following 8 users liked this post by Hendrik Koster:
AMG 17GT (04-23-2023), BBS63 (04-24-2023), California John (04-23-2023), crconsulting (04-23-2023), JSwan724 (04-24-2023), MBNRG (04-23-2023), reignz (04-23-2023), Surge (04-23-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2023, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Personally, I would have asked for another GTR with similar mileage. It won’t depreciate like an SL55 will. But it’s all about what makes you happy!
Old 04-23-2023, 01:46 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
I don't think you will find any dealer willing to take the time to do this other than changing out components, whereby they can charge their time back to Mercedes !
Sadly true, this car was treated no better than a run of the mill C class, due to procedural and diagnostic failures.
Such a waste...
Surge (04-23-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 06:14 AM

2018 AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by Surge
Personally, I would have asked for another GTR with similar mileage. It won’t depreciate like an SL55 will. But it’s all about what makes you happy!
I would agree, but there’s a few factors at play here. The car is out of manufacturers warranty (did have an aftermarket), I did not buy the car from this dealer (or any Mercedes dealer), and there was absolutely no signs of an end being in sight.

The dealer had essentially no obligation to do anything, and Mercedes CAC/corporate won’t reply to any emails or pick up the phone. The dealer has purchased a totally broken car, with no guarantee it’ll ever be fixed.

I’d rather have a car that will depreciate a bit, than the potential of eating $170k and scrapping the car. I’m not wealthy enough to walk away from that kind of loss!
The following 4 users liked this post by DaveH - GTR:
G. P (04-24-2023), garymac (04-24-2023), MalibuScott (04-24-2023), Surge (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
I would agree, but there’s a few factors at play here. The car is out of manufacturers warranty (did have an aftermarket), I did not buy the car from this dealer (or any Mercedes dealer), and there was absolutely no signs of an end being in sight.

The dealer had essentially no obligation to do anything, and Mercedes CAC/corporate won’t reply to any emails or pick up the phone. The dealer has purchased a totally broken car, with no guarantee it’ll ever be fixed.

I’d rather have a car that will depreciate a bit, than the potential of eating $170k and scrapping the car. I’m not wealthy enough to walk away from that kind of loss!
Dealers don’t trade cars like this that they are uncertain about how to fix. They are in business to make money.

My sense tells me that they know how to fix what’s wrong or will.

So be on the look out for a top notch used car for sale very shortly if not already.

If you are happy then that’s all that counts.

Enjoy your new SL55.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-24-2023 at 12:50 PM.
crconsulting (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 01:06 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
@DaveH - GTR I am glad to hear a resolution was reached that is satisfactory to you.

Would you kindly post the troubled GT R VIN, so that other potential buyers can avoid?
TIA
Orcbolg (04-24-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 05:44 PM

2018 AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by MBNRG
@DaveH - GTR I am glad to hear a resolution was reached that is satisfactory to you.

Would you kindly post the troubled GT R VIN, so that other potential buyers can avoid?
TIA
Apologies for the delay, I had to wait for certain things to go through first.
WDDYJ7KA3JA018511

In other news, despite numerous calls and emails to Mercedes Benz CAC, my assigned executive referral manager refuses to respond to any communication. They clearly have zero interest in retaining my business going forward, and as such sadly once I move the SL55 on (don't love it), I will likely never be back in another Mercedes.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveH - GTR:
MBNRG (05-15-2023), Orcbolg (05-14-2023), thebishman (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSwan724
Dealers don’t trade cars like this that they are uncertain about how to fix. They are in business to make money.
My sense tells me that they know how to fix what’s wrong or will.
So be on the look out for a top notch used car for sale very shortly if not already. . .
Unbelievable
Appears your suspicions were correct JSwan:
CarFax reveals vehicle was offered for sale on 4/17/23 by Mercedes-Benz of Gainesville, FL and WITHOUT any reported issue whatsoever:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...YJ7KA3JA018511

And google cached website capture of previous MB Gainesvill ad:

Yet another reason not to put 100% confidence in CarFax reports
Old 05-15-2023, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
This surely is legally fraudulent? A customer takes his car in for service to an MB dealer, who sits on the car for months stating it can’t be fixed. They do the owner a ‘favour’ by trading him out of the non-fixable GTR into a new SL, and then within weeks advertise the ‘broken’ GTR for sale on their used lot; and we all know that the car will be perfectly driveable!

WTF?!?

If the OP lost money on this transaction, or even if he felt pressured to make the deal due to what he was being told was a non-fixable GTR, he should retain counsel asap to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
MBNRG (05-15-2023), Orcbolg (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:01 PM

2018 AMG GT-R
Actually, MB Gainesville did not sell the car to a customer. They are the ones who got me out of the car, and the car was only posted up to their website for inventory. Car was auctioned for less than they paid me.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:01 PM

Actually, MB Gainesville did not sell the car to a customer. They are the ones who got me out of the car, and the car was only posted up to their website for inventory. Car was auctioned for less than they paid me.
I really hope so. Is that what dealership had informed?

Because this looks a bit sketch: this cached screen cap below of Car Gurus using same VIN reveals a Sponsored Ad for what appears to be same vehicle - correct GHM color, and correct mileage of 12,720
Even if Car Gurus et al auto populate their websites by scouring online dealership inventories, the "Sponsored" label demonstrates clear intent to sell.

Orcbolg (05-15-2023)