Tyre Choices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gt
Tyre Choices

Hey all,
I am a new poster but have had my 2016 AMG GT for 18 months and am absolutely loving it!
I have a question over tyres as I think I am close to needing to replace my rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports (295/35 R19). Given the price increases (best I found is £375 fitted) I was considering an alternative and wondered if anyone had experience of swapping-out for any other manufacturers. I have stumbled across the Continental Sport Contact and having had good experiences with Continental on other cars, was considering a move.
Be grateful for any thoughts on this as I am pretty clueless!!
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
amg gt
The last set I put on were the newer Michelin pilot sport 4 S, not cheap but love them.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,660 Posts
2019 C63CS
I've never personally had Continental tires. FWIW, the AMG Driving Academy in the USA has a partnership with Continental, at least they did back in 2019. Continental was supplying the tires for their fleet. A bit strange, since Michelin is the OE supplier on pretty much all AMGs, and the AMG GT R still had the Cup 2 tires on there and not Continental tires. Didn't actually pay close attention to which other models had Continental tires vs the OEM Michelin.

Having said that, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is at this point a pretty old tire, so anything newer will likely be superior. It was replaced by the PS4S several years ago, and Michelin now has the PS5S, but the latter is currently not available in the aftermarket, only OE. So the PSS is three generations behind at this point. I swear by the PS4S. When I bought my 2019 C63S coupe it also came with the Pilot Super Sport, but they were a noticeable step backwards from having had the PS4S on my previous car, so once they were worn I put on the PS4S. It still pretty much is the best all-round street performance tire. Rides and handles better than the PSS.

The latest Continental SportContact 6 is supposedly pretty good, but tire choice comes down to personal preference and how you use the car. Tyre Reviews does excellent comparisons, so browse their YouTube channel for comparisons between the tires you are interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/@tyrereviews

Last edited by superswiss; 06-07-2023 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
euanhusarmi (06-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 06:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
I recently went through a pretty thorough tire review and ended up going with PS4S again. The PS5 wears marginally better at the cost of marginally less dry traction. No other street/daily performance tire seems to compare, I hear it's because Michelin is the only manufacturer still using real rubber.
euanhusarmi (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 10:57 AM

amg gt
Thanks so much...appreciated
Old 06-12-2023, 04:01 AM

amg gt
After much deliberation and YouTube watching, I went for the Pillot Sport 4; it just felt like everything else was either a compromise or an unecessary gamble. Ultimately, to save £150 for two tyres and put something on that might undermine the ride just wasn't worth it.
I will drive on these for a couple of weeks and re-post my thoughts...thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
The PSS/PS4S is my favorite tire ever. I actually prefer the PSS for daily driving, I believe it has somewhat softer sidewalls. They really are not much more expensive than most other options and I'd bet if you factored in mileage factors they would be even less relatively expensive (they wear/last well to me).
euanhusarmi (06-12-2023)
Old 03-29-2024, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I have driven Michelin for years on both my Mercedes and Porsche vehicles. For sticky tires, you can't beat Pirelli, but they wear fast because they are so soft. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently. Happy motoring.