Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a misfire problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:07 PM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Got a misfire problem

I have a problem with misfires in cylinder 6 and 8. The car runs perfectly in all ways with no engine light BUT if I push the pedal to the floor for full power it will throw a code at high rpms. Car will then run rough till I restart it and then the light will sometimes go out and other times stay on but the rough engine will go away on the re start and all will work as expected till I nail it again.

MY scanner shows misfires for cylinder 8 during two computer resets and a cylinder 6 after another reset. I am wanting to switch the ignition coils and I am guessing 6 and 8 are on the same coil. After switching the coils i will see if the misfire moves cylinders.

With that said my version of wis is not longer working so if someone could tell me where cyliner 6 and 8 are in the engine diagram..

Katie
Old 04-02-2024, 05:15 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Katie22
I have a problem with misfires in cylinder 6 and 8. The car runs perfectly in all ways with no engine light BUT if I push the pedal to the floor for full power it will throw a code at high rpms. Car will then run rough till I restart it and then the light will sometimes go out and other times stay on but the rough engine will go away on the re start and all will work as expected till I nail it again.

MY scanner shows misfires for cylinder 8 during two computer resets and a cylinder 6 after another reset. I am wanting to switch the ignition coils and I am guessing 6 and 8 are on the same coil. After switching the coils i will see if the misfire moves cylinders.

With that said my version of wis is not longer working so if someone could tell me where cyliner 6 and 8 are in the engine diagram..

Katie
​​​​​​I had a similar pesky problem that came and went but in the end I replaced the coil pack and the two spark plugs that were causing the misfires and the problem went away. It cost hundreds of dollars not thousands of dollars and hasn't happened since. I believe it was a bad coil pack.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:27 AM

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Yes that is a suspicion of mine hence I am asking those with WIS to tell me what cylinders are six and eight on the engine.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:05 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
I don't have WIS but Stenzel answered this before -

4. 8
3. 7
2. 6
1. 5

Front
Old 04-02-2024, 09:09 AM

Ok then that rules out one coil being the culprit since six and eight are not next to each other on same coil. Time to replace the spark plugs and give it a try that way. I’ll take the driver side coils and put them both on passenger side and see if problem travels there if it re materializes.