Sponsored by:

Buttons delaminating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
Buttons delaminating?

Hey All...thought I'd post here as well to see if anyone has seen this issue before. It appears my start/stop and manual buttons are delaminating? I'm not sure what else to call it. I've posted pictures for reference. It's most noticeable under bright light.
Car is a '19 GTC w/3300 miles on it.
I thought maybe it was a film over the button from new, but I wasn't able to pull anything off. Just don't want them to get worse.

Old 07-01-2024, 02:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 AMG GT
Originally Posted by GTConn
Hey All...thought I'd post here as well to see if anyone has seen this issue before. It appears my start/stop and manual buttons are delaminating? I'm not sure what else to call it. I've posted pictures for reference. It's most noticeable under bright light.
Car is a '19 GTC w/3300 miles on it.
I thought maybe it was a film over the button from new, but I wasn't able to pull anything off. Just don't want them to get worse.

Not sure if this is directly correlated but there has been a few articles on the effects of hand lotion & creams on painted/coated surfaces. Neighbor's wife had her Ferrari buttons replaced after dealer suggested it was the cause. Nonetheless, a good painter can get them re-cleared. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
GTConn (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by HHS550
Not sure if this is directly correlated but there has been a few articles on the effects of hand lotion & creams on painted/coated surfaces. Neighbor's wife had her Ferrari buttons replaced after dealer suggested it was the cause. Nonetheless, a good painter can get them re-cleared. Good luck.
Well, I am pretty careful about that because I have an alcantara wheel. I also don't think it's paint, is it? The buttons seem to have a plastic overlay. I could be wrong but...

Also, I've used the "manual" button two or three times in the 1500 miles I've put on the car in nearly a year's time. Just not sure lotion or something to that effect is the problem. Also, both buttons that are doing this are the same size. Coincidence? Possibly...
Old 07-01-2024, 03:13 PM

2019 AMG GT
Hard to tell but they typically have a clear or epoxy coat applied from the factory. Research the 2005/2006 Ford GT horn emblem. A few years after their introduction many have had the shiny surface erode similar to yours. Many suggested high humidity was the cause. In the end they were sanded, prepped, and re-cleared.
GTConn (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 03:23 PM

Hard to tell but they typically have a clear or epoxy coat applied from the factory. Research the 2005/2006 Ford GT horn emblem. A few years after their introduction many have had the shiny surface erode similar to yours. Many suggested high humidity was the cause. In the end they were sanded, prepped, and re-cleared.
I actually felt this issue seemed to be coming from inside as opposed to on top of the actual button. In fact, when the car is pulled inside, it's really hard to see the issue at all.

There are no dull spots on top of the button. It's almost like the black inside is separating.

Old 07-01-2024, 03:39 PM

2019 AMG GT
Originally Posted by GTConn
I actually felt this issue seemed to be coming from inside as opposed to on top of the actual button. In fact, when the car is pulled inside, it's really hard to see the issue at all.

There are no dull spots on top of the button. It's almost like the black inside is separating.

In that case, and IMO, then it is definitely delaminating at the contact point which is exactly what the case with the Ford GT was. You can always buy some spare buttons and keep them on the shelf but my guess is unless they improved the finishing process then history will repeat itself. Quite the conundrum! Would be interesting to see if any of tge other buttons are delaminating under the view of a magnifying glass and in the sun. Would also be curious if allvthe buttons were manufactured by a single vendor.
GTConn (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:08 PM

In that case, and IMO, then it is definitely delaminating at the contact point which is exactly what the case with the Ford GT was. You can always buy some spare buttons and keep them on the shelf but my guess is unless they improved the finishing process then history will repeat itself. Quite the conundrum! Would be interesting to see if any of tge other buttons are delaminating under the view of a magnifying glass and in the sun. Would also be curious if allvthe buttons were manufactured by a single vendor.
My manual button is doing the same thing. They are both the same size. The other buttons seem to be OK for now. Very annoying problem to have but in all honesty, I'm probably one of the few who would even notice 🤣
In my Google searches, I didn't see this issue come up a lot honestly. And nothing for the GT's. If I ever do the screen/Apple Carplay upgrade, that's when I'd most likely swap out the buttons. For now,I guess it is what it is.
Appreciate your feedback!
Old 07-01-2024, 10:59 PM

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts
SL63
I had a wood trim console panel on my SLK320 R171 delaminate. 2001 model.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
I suspect it may be more of a chemical reaction than a repeated usage thing.

Do you use any interior detailing cleaners or perhaps a small spill happened a while back?
Old 07-02-2024, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by LAsunset
I suspect it may be more of a chemical reaction than a repeated usage thing.

Do you use any interior detailing cleaners or perhaps a small spill happened a while back?
I am a hobbyist detailer. Everything I use is prosumer grade and I really try to avoid touching the center console area as much as possible so the piano gloss black stays nice.
I also never eat or drink in this car. Again...I've put 1500 miles on it in a year. Also, as I mentioned, the manual button has the same type of thing going on and I've literally pushed that button 2 or 3 times.

Whatever is going on is coming from the inside. Not from above. It's almost like whatever makes the button black is separating from the inside. It is only noticeable in very bright light/sunlight with the glass roof panel slid open. Otherwise it looks perfectly fine.
Old 07-04-2024, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
My 2016 GTS was doing the same as yours. Didn't look into it enough to find a fix, before I sold it.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
My 2016 GTS was doing the same as yours. Didn't look into it enough to find a fix, before I sold it.
Ya I've heard from.one other person who also had a 2016 that was doing it. It's not that noticeable and I guess if it gets worse,.I'll just order new buttons and replace. They look plug 'n play as far as I can tell. Just chintzy is all 😒
Orcbolg (07-05-2024)