Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 GTR or 20 GTR Pro with salvage title?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 05:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTR
Talking 18 GTR or 20 GTR Pro with salvage title?

I have the opportunity at equal value to exchange my 2018 GTR for a theft recovery, VIN swapped, now cleared 2020 GTR Pro.

My 2018 was bought with a bunch of Weistec mods installed (down pipes, ECU and TCU tune, blow off valves), full Xpel stealth ppt an ceramic coated. I have since done engine, trans and diff oils changes and fixed a couple of minor issues - I do the work on my cars. I added Ansix cooling ducts before my first track day to keep those CCBs cool. Car is sorted and known, and a beast on the track and had a > $200K MSRP so it is loaded with all the goodies - love the ceramic brakes and all the carbon fiber bits. It is in mint condition in and out. This weekend I will put on Nankang CRS tires and run it (alongside my GT3 with my son) at VIR. I have 20K miles on it now.

The 2020 GTR Pro has the Venturi intake (not necessarily a good thing or big value item in my opinion) and the seller cant tell me if there are any other performance mods on it since they bought it at auction. The car has had 3 VIN numbers (Original, molested and NY state issued) The picture from the auction show some minor front lower lip damage that has been repaired. I like the aero and would appreciate the stiffer handling on the track. It's one of 750 - but it has a branded title that will always reduce the appeal (and price) of the car. 15K mostly undocumented miles.

Add the minor hassle of selling my car to a buddy of mine and driving 4 hours to pick up the Pro.

I am torn but leaning ever so slightly towards keeping my car. Would be interested to hear opinions from the experts and others in the peanut gallery :-)

Last edited by Green_Hell; 08-28-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Don’t do it.

Put more mods on your car if that is what attracts you to the harpie.
The following users liked this post:
HHS550 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 06:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG GT
1) Salvage cars are rarely market valued above 50% & Lemon buybacks are at 75%.
2) Purchasing pool of buyers for both is extremely small.
3) The alure and novelty will quickly turn to "Why the hell did I do that?"
4) The best pillow in the world is made out of your own peace of mind.

Having said all that, I would buy a salvaged Enzo or F40 at 50% of market value any day.

Good luck.
The following 6 users liked this post by HHS550:
California John (09-01-2024), chassis (08-28-2024), flyt42 (09-02-2024), Green_Hell (08-28-2024), MalibuScott (08-30-2024), Omega4 (08-30-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-28-2024, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Run, don’t walk, from any car with that type of history, unless you can literally buy it at a steal!
chassis (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 09:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 251 Likes on 193 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Absolutely not!

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

chassis (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 09:26 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
Run, don’t walk, from any car with that type of history, unless you can literally buy it at a steal!
At $130K its not quite steal unfortunately ....
chassis (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 11:02 PM

Received 237 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_Hell
The 2020 GTR Pro has the Venturi intake (not necessarily a good thing or big value item in my opinion) and the seller cant tell me if there are any other performance mods on it since they bought it at auction. The car has had 3 VIN numbers (Original, molested and NY state issued) The picture from the auction show some minor front lower lip damage that has been repaired. I like the aero and would appreciate the stiffer handling on the track. It's one of 750 - but it has a branded title that will always reduce the appeal (and price) of the car. 15K mostly undocumented miles.
Is this the same GTR Pro referenced above?:
https://www.copart.com/lot/54857323/...ny-long-island

Curious, who is the current Seller?

To echo the majority sentiment: Absolutely no go on the GT R Pro

Old 08-29-2024, 06:38 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Is this the same GTR Pro referenced above?:
https://www.copart.com/lot/54857323/...ny-long-island

Curious, who is the current Seller?

To echo the majority sentiment: Absolutely no go on the GT R Pro
yes that’s the one
Old 08-29-2024, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
It sounds like you already have a great car, why would you want to buy a messed up one?
MalibuScott (08-30-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:12 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Viper98912
It sounds like you already have a great car, why would you want to buy a messed up one?
I find myself asking the same question on this car and several cars in the past. I love to experience cars. I love to buy them right, drive them hard, track them, fix them, obsessively maintain them, flip them and repeat. I will buy almost any high performance car if the deal is right - I am lucky to be able to do this.
The GTR is perfect in many ways and better than a factory car - the green is growing on me but a bit too much flash for my taste. The Pro aero bits, stiffer chassis, less compliant suspension and color - and the possibility of getting a good deal make this appealing. But I remain unconvinced at the current price point. I think the current owner paid a bit too much for it to leave them "used cars sales" margin (probably into it mid $120s with fees and transport) Assuming nothing wrong with the car, I think $110-$120 would be good and a fun car to track. Not sure if in time it would gain or lose value.

Last edited by Green_Hell; 08-29-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:12 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by HHS550
1) Salvage cars are rarely market valued above 50% & Lemon buybacks are at 75%.
2) Purchasing pool of buyers for both is extremely small.
3) The alure and novelty will quickly turn to "Why the hell did I do that?"
4) The best pillow in the world is made out of your own peace of mind.

Having said all that, I would buy a salvaged Enzo or F40 at 50% of market value any day.

Good luck.
On #1 - I have a different experience. My view is that not all salvage cars are equal as the extent and type of damage is a huge factor. This particular car was stolen, VIN was modified and sold to a buyer, who proceeded to maintain it. It is incredible that carfax actually started tracking the modified/factory invalid VIN with NO NOTE on the VIN validity or the fact that it was a prior stolen car. Carfax tracked this invalid VIN through dealerships and shops that made note of the maintenance. This owner kept it for a few years as it turn out. Somehow (and I have not dug into this) the insurance company found this car, took it back and auctioned it off. The damage to the front spoiler could have been from the wrecker in my opinion. I would expect this type of "salvage" would command the highest value of a documented salvage title vehicle. In my experience, salvage vehicles (and I have bought a few) with minimum impact typically command closer to a 25-30% discount below an otherwise similar car. With that calculation, this car is probably well priced. But I remain unconvinced.
#2 - I agree in one sense - The pool of prospective buyers is smaller - for those that are looking for a pro. It is in a different sense "larger" if the price is low enough. So agin this goes to buying it right.
#3 - yes especially if there are hidden problems.
#4 No doubt and with you on that one.

Last edited by Green_Hell; 08-29-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Green Hell:

You obviously have a lot of experience maintaining vehicles. IF you’ve inspected the Pro and are convinced that the only damage to it was cosmetic and minor, and that mechanically the car is sound, then IF you can purchase it for what to you feels to be a good price, then in retrospect perhaps it is something to consider. The caveat being that as others have said, resale is going to be an issue for sure. However if you bought that car with the mindset of keeping long term as your track car and not using it for a season and then flipping it, it might even be a good deal.

Green_Hell (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:49 PM

AMG GTR
I appreciate the conversations on this post. I am keeping my car for now and tracking it this weekend with new more track focused alignment and track tires.
Thank you all!
thebishman (08-29-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Green_Hell
I find myself asking the same question on this car and several cars in the past. I love to experience cars. I love to buy them right, drive them hard, track them, fix them, obsessively maintain them, flip them and repeat. I will buy almost any high performance car if the deal is right - I am lucky to be able to do this.
The GTR is perfect in many ways and better than a factory car - the green is growing on me but a bit too much flash for my taste. The Pro aero bits, stiffer chassis, less compliant suspension and color - and the possibility of getting a good deal make this appealing. But I remain unconvinced at the current price point. I think the current owner paid a bit too much for it to leave them "used cars sales" margin (probably into it mid $120s with fees and transport) Assuming nothing wrong with the car, I think $110-$120 would be good and a fun car to track. Not sure if in time it would gain or lose value.
There is nothing wrong with what you're doing, in fact, it's what many people like (or would like) to do. But you're "stepping down" with this messed up car. You're better off modifying your current car to be BETTER than the GTR Pro, enjoy that, and then undo your mods and sell the GTR separately from the mods.
Old Today, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
First, ask your insurance company if they will insure a salvage titled vehicle. Most will not.
Old Today, 10:39 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
First, ask your insurance company if they will insure a salvage titled vehicle. Most will not.
Hagerty will insure salvage and rebuilt vehicles for agreed value.