Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Whats the best cleaner and conditioner for Mercedes leather and wood trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
Whats the best cleaner and conditioner for Mercedes leather and wood trim?

I am looking for a good product for mercedes leather and wood trim. Which one should I choose?? also Any tips on cleaning the wood trim??
Old 03-06-2005, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
leatherique for leather... depends on what you are looking for.

For wood trim i like to use a detail spray and a microfiber towel. Z6 works very well for this.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
What type of leather do you have- Premier Leather Package-
Uncotaed Leather:
Only the highest quality hides are selected for their use, using only the ‘top grain’ (the top 1.25mm of the hide) the hide is oiled, vat-dyed with a water-soluble dye and a water-soluble pigmented resin is added to enhance the colour.

Properly maintaining the leather with suitable oils will ensure a silky-soft feel to the leather and ensure a long useful life, it also develops a patina (a lustre or shine) with time and extended use.
How your leather feels tells you more about its condition than anything. It should feel like something between velvet and satin, supple, inviting and luxurious. Leather care starts with maintaining factory fresh feeling leather from the beginning.

Keeping it clean is important, but conditioning is the key to preserving the life, flexibility, appearance and longevity of your leather upholstery

Note: This product is not compatible with covered leather and could damage the urethane.

Recommended products clean with a 6:1 solution of Woolite® / water and condition by applying Connolly Leather Hide Care or Leatherique Pristine Clean
Identifying characteristics- Connolly Tanners affixes a small distinguishing label on the back of their imported hides and very few US dealers are able to carry these hides.

b) Covered Leather (Urethane, Vinyl or MB-Tex):
Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 85% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) the leather also requires replacement of natural oils. Clean, condition and apply a UVR protection as in items 1, 2 & 3 on page 2.

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.
Recommended products-
•Urethane Coated Leather- use Groit's Leather Care or Zanio Z-10 Leather in a bottle
•Vinyl or MB-Tex Covered leather- use Groit's Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean
JonM
Old 03-06-2005, 06:05 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
The wood trim in 99% of vehicles (Mercedes Benz uses real wood) is protected with a urethane clear coat, polyurethane or a thin lacquer, which is very easily scratched. Remove scratches with a fine polish (Groit's Fine Hand Polish) and then wipe with a damp 100% cotton towel.

Maintenance- use an anti-static plastic cleaner protectant (BTI Chemicals Plexus@ Glass Polish & Cleaner)
JonM
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS500
Thanks

Thank you guys. You guys are such a pro!!! But is it ok if you guys can post the link for the product you talking about too?? I have no idea where to get it??
Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 PM

'04 CL500 '08 ML320CDI
TOGWT: I hope you can help me, as you seem to know a lot about the leathers. In my '97 E420 I had the "oyster" (light beige) leather seating, and I used Connolly Hide food, and it worked great! But in my '00 E320 with the charcoal any good leather cleaner actually has an effect like it's "staining" the surface, and I have to work like mad to get it to even out. Could it be that I had "regular" leather in the '97 and the urethane coated stuff in this '00? I'd appreciate any insight you might have on this.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Short answer, Yes.

But not all covered leather has this type of reaction (I guess I've been lucky until recently.../) I now use a disclaimer on all my How-to write ups:

Note: This product may not be compatible with covered leather and could damage the urethane.
JonM
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM

'04 CL500 '08 ML320CDI
Thanks a lot! I'll research the urethane-covered leather sections. Needless to say, I really freaked out when that happened; but now we've had such a rotten, cold winter that I haven't had a chance to retry anything (I just got the car last fall). I'll check out your views, though.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:05 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Hate to sound stupid, but hey what the heck.... How do I know what grade of leather I have? The dealer said it was the top grade but I am unsure