Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Black Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Black Paint

Looking for some advice on handling paint care on a BLACK car. I recently waxed my SL600, and the end result looks great, but upon close inspection I can see some light scratches in the paint. Noone would probably notice them but I do. I used the Mercedes Paint Cleaner and Mercedes Paint Care products with Microfiber applicator and Microfiber towels.

Is there a way to wax and not end up with these marks?

The marks may have been there before waxing, not exactly sure. What I would like to do is get rid of them.

I read a lot of different threads and there are a lot of different viewpoints, anyone with actual knowledge on a black car would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by StephenK
Looking for some advice on handling paint care on a BLACK car. I recently waxed my SL600, and the end result looks great, but upon close inspection I can see some light scratches in the paint. Noone would probably notice them but I do. I used the Mercedes Paint Cleaner and Mercedes Paint Care products with Microfiber applicator and Microfiber towels.

The marks may have been there before waxing, not exactly sure. What I would like to do is get rid of them.

I read a lot of different threads and there are a lot of different viewpoints, anyone with actual knowledge on a black car would be appreciated.

Ah, black cars. There are a lot of causes that may swirl the paint, in your case light swirls. Most likely the light scratches are from washing and drying then from waxing. As long as you use quailty 100% cotton towels and go light on the paint, scratches shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Although there are waxes like Zaino Z-5 (a good wax) that cover up swirl marks, they merely fills in and hide the swirl. The only way to "get rid" of light swirls is to buff it out with a high speed buffer but remember you are thining out the clear coat on the paint as you are doing so.

I would go with the Zaino wax route if the scratches are light and not that visible. Start with Zaino Z-5 then apply another layer of Z-2 (for clear coat paint), 2 coats should be enough as any more coats will not make any difference to me, but there are some people out there who puts on more than 10 coats and swears by it. :p

I think after you tried zaino you will throw out your mercedes car care products away since zaino will make them look like...um...crap.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Talking

The light scratches are in all likelihood in the clear coat and can be caused by a number of factors, improper washing, waxing use of applicators and towels that will marr the paint. The Mercedes product that you used is a re-labled product made by Meguiars; the cleaner will do nothing for your paint since you have the Nano or Ceramiclear paint. The only product on the market today that will work on the paint is Menzerna. I have a black SL55 and I have used the Menzerna products (Power Gloss, Intense Polish and Final polish) with a Porter Cable orbital buffer. This has been very effective in removing small scratches in the clear coat. Unless you are going to do this every month you need not worry about removing the clear coat. One other thing about the Menzerna, it is only a polish and will have to be topped with something to provide protection such as carnuba wax. Personally I use Meguiars #16 on all of my cars; the drivers as well as the trailer queens.

I would stay away from a rotary buffer unless you are skilled in using one. You CAN burn through the clear with a rotary if you are not careful.

As for the polishes that fill the scratches such as Zaino #?, they are a temporary fix and when they wear away over time the scratches will re-appear. They are not removing them they merely hide them.

When you wash your car I would highly recommend that you truly take care. Washing will apply those nasty scratches and improper drying will do the same. I use a 2 bucket approach in washing; one bucket for the car wash shampoo and one bucket to rinse the sheepskin mit. Wet and rinse the car well before yopu start, then starting at the top wash the car with the mit full of suds, rinse with a hose and rinse the mit in the other bucket to remove any grime that you may have picked up. Do the process from top to bottom repeating the steps above for each panel on the car. When you dry the car I would not reccomend a soft cotton towel. For years I had used cotton until the waffle weave micro fiber towels came out. They will not scratch like cotton. I took my best 100% Canon cotton towel and wiped the trunk of the SL and was appalled at the marring that was created. I did the same with my waffle weave microfiber and nothing happened.

Sounds like a lot of work but black cars do require effort to keep them looking good. My wife also has a black car that is her daily shopper so I have 2 to slave over and can appreciate your concerns.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Question Brand?

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The light scratches are in all likelihood in the clear coat and can be caused by a number of factors, improper washing, waxing use of applicators and towels that will marr the paint. The Mercedes product that you used is a re-labled product made by Meguiars; the cleaner will do nothing for your paint since you have the Nano or Ceramiclear paint. The only product on the market today that will work on the paint is Menzerna. I have a black SL55 and I have used the Menzerna products (Power Gloss, Intense Polish and Final polish) with a Porter Cable orbital buffer. This has been very effective in removing small scratches in the clear coat. Unless you are going to do this every month you need not worry about removing the clear coat. One other thing about the Menzerna, it is only a polish and will have to be topped with something to provide protection such as carnuba wax. Personally I use Meguiars #16 on all of my cars; the drivers as well as the trailer queens.

I would stay away from a rotary buffer unless you are skilled in using one. You CAN burn through the clear with a rotary if you are not careful.

As for the polishes that fill the scratches such as Zaino #?, they are a temporary fix and when they wear away over time the scratches will re-appear. They are not removing them they merely hide them.

When you wash your car I would highly recommend that you truly take care. Washing will apply those nasty scratches and improper drying will do the same. I use a 2 bucket approach in washing; one bucket for the car wash shampoo and one bucket to rinse the sheepskin mit. Wet and rinse the car well before yopu start, then starting at the top wash the car with the mit full of suds, rinse with a hose and rinse the mit in the other bucket to remove any grime that you may have picked up. Do the process from top to bottom repeating the steps above for each panel on the car. When you dry the car I would not reccomend a soft cotton towel. For years I had used cotton until the waffle weave micro fiber towels came out. They will not scratch like cotton. I took my best 100% Canon cotton towel and wiped the trunk of the SL and was appalled at the marring that was created. I did the same with my waffle weave microfiber and nothing happened.

Sounds like a lot of work but black cars do require effort to keep them looking good. My wife also has a black car that is her daily shopper so I have 2 to slave over and can appreciate your concerns.
Have you found any particular brand of Mircofiber towel that you would recommend. I have been using SONUS, but curious about others.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Talking

Have you found any particular brand of Mircofiber towel that you would recommend. I have been using SONUS, but curious about others.
I have been ordering mine from Pak Shak, www.pakshak.com. Great service great products.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:25 AM

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-automotive-care/108003-s500-detailing-day.html

Here is a link to my most recent gig: A Black 2000 S500. Menzerna Final Polish II is incredible product.
I simply guided the PC over the paint and it was a breeze to manage. It works so well on the MB paint. The car was heavily swirled throughout. It took two passes with a polishing pad. There was no marring and I went straight to the sealent.

The Intensive Polish was just to harsh for the job. It left marring. No reason to use it. The FPII left the paint to gorgeous - pure satin finish.