Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

engine cleaning.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
engine cleaning.

i heard that using simple green on painted parts will damage the paint. true? here is a picture. im talking about the white painted area. and can anybody circle the parts that i need to cover before doing this???

the pictures are shown here
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...8&page=2&pp=10
Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Where did you hear that Simple Green will harm paint? As for what to cover . . . the most direct rule is that if the device is connected to the car with a wire or if the device only expects to see air, then get some plastic, rubber bands and/or heavy duty alum foil and cover it tightly.

When rinsing in the engine bay, don't use any higher pressure than what the typical thumb can do with the end of the hose. Also, don't rinse the engine bay in a nice clean concrete driveway . . . unless you're planning on degreasing that too.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
hmm i guess i have to. i don't have any other place to do it i wonder how hard it will be to clean all that up...what about the air filter? theres like an opening on the side facing the front of the car.. should i put like a cloth in there?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
On the 300E, you should remove the whole air filter assembly, the box and the duct to the front, so that you clear access to the intake assembly and the valve cover. Cover the silver air metering unit under the air cleaner and the vent from the valve cover.

If you have to degrease on a driveway, just make sure you clean it up, with a driveway degreaser right away otherwise the stains just get harder to lift. Another method may be to use painters plastic sheeting under the car and running to the end of the driveway to catch the crap.