Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

California Car Duster - to wash or not to wash, that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
California Car Duster - to wash or not to wash, that is the question..

They say not too, but it's getting dirrrrrty. Can I, and if so, what technique is recommened short of throwing it in the washing machine?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Mine is filthy and I have never washed it. It still does a great job, and if I thought that I needed to wash it I would probably just buy a new one. I think washing will remove the oils that make it so effective, and render it useless. I may be wrong, but that is just my opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by johncl
Mine is filthy and I have never washed it. It still does a great job, and if I thought that I needed to wash it I would probably just buy a new one. I think washing will remove the oils that make it so effective, and render it useless. I may be wrong, but that is just my opinion.

But the oils pick up all the dirt and keep it there, so when we dust, we are just dragging sandy fibers across out paint.

You do have a point though...just buy a new one.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM

2013 C63 Sedan
Buy a new one

The duster fibers are coated in paraffin wax, washing would remove the wax if the watter was hot enough. Then you would have a one time use duster. If you feel it isn't doing a good job replace it. $20 is better than scratching your paint.
By the way, mine is really dirty looking but has never scrached the paint or cause any other problems.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I've washed mine before but didnt use fabric softener, it does feel a bit different after the wash, i dont think its scratching the paint, but i may buy a new one after reading this.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: California Car Duster - to wash or not to wash, that is the question...

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer a washed CCD scratching the paint…

Car Duster:
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it. It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Microfiber) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface. Rinsing the surface with water or applying a quick detailer (QD) or use the CCD as stated above to remove dust

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed)
JonM
Old 05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
I don't know. The concept is brilliant with a clean one, but a clean, waxed strand will let particles stick to it and over time, these little dirt particles will be big and sharp enough to scratch your paint. It's the same thing as dragging a dirty towel on vunerable paint.

I'm still skeptical...especially with a black car. I might wash it and spray it down with quick detailer to "re-wax" it..lol
Old 05-07-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL
I concur, I blast mine with compressed air once in a while.

You will see guys at concours shows using them. If it does not hurt their cars, then it's ok, because there is no more stringent inspection than at a competitive show.

Remember the wax on your car? It will be the thing that could get scratched, not the paint. You DID wax the car, right? Built up multiple coats, right?

Greg
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM

As long as you're lightly gliding the strands across the surface you won't get any marring no matter how dirty the duster gets. Here's a pic of my duster which I've been using almost daily for 5 years now. Apparently, this is nothing as folks over at Autopia have been using dusters that are much dirtier than mine.