Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Pep boys/ Kragen waxes....what's the best easy to find wax??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor sedan
Pep boys/ Kragen waxes....what's the best easy to find wax??

Hi, first post in the detailing section. Love this site! Anyways, purchased a 2005 C230ss in midnight blue 2 weeks ago for myself and my gf. I want to do a first wax on it this weekend. Plan on doing it Sat morning before it gets too hot in the Bay Area. I have washed it once (last weekend) with Gold Class wash using 2 buckets and many seperate towels. I don't have a buffer yet but plan on getting the Porter Cable one soon.

My question is what can I use that is good and easy to find at a Pep Boys or Kragen that will give me some time before I do an extra serious job? I don't want a quick spray and wax, am willing to do a couple of steps. What would be a good first job wax product to use? Heard Meguires is pretty popular. Which one do you guys reccommend? This will be done by hand. Just want a wax on their to last a month until I get some Zaino products and a buffer.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
hey! go on the internet and get the and google Zanio (Sp?) and go to there website, they are very informative

Mark
Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Like I said above, I plan on getting Zaino in a few weeks but I want something for this weekend that is easy to find at a local store. The site only has Zaino info if I'm not mistaken. So any other products to use that are easy to find?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok did some more research, any views on the Meguire's NXT (next generation) formula? Supposed to be ok from what I've read. Ho easy is it to take off? Anyone try it?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:43 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by Kojack
Like I said above, I plan on getting Zaino in a few weeks but I want something for this weekend that is easy to find at a local store. The site only has Zaino info if I'm not mistaken. So any other products to use that are easy to find?
If you are looking for wax at pepboys, I would suggest Meguires line of wax to hold you over until zaino gets here, don't be suprised if you receive zaino earlier than expected as Sal used to mail out the products before the check cleared.

I myself use Zaino but use a lot of Meguires detail leather wipes and their tire dressings and I find their product to be pretty decent. Once you get your Zaino be sure to wash your old wax away completely with Dawn as Zaino needs a very clean surface to bond correctly and post some pictures of your finished car.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

The car is 2 weeks old and this is my first quick wax job. Should I Dawn the car to get off anything the dealer put on it or just use the Gold Class wash I have?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:56 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by Kojack
The car is 2 weeks old and this is my first quick wax job. Should I Dawn the car to get off anything the dealer put on it or just use the Gold Class wash I have?
You should definitly Dawn it to get rid of the stuff dealer used on your car although I wouldn't use Dawn as an everyday wash as it is harsh on the paint but 2-3 times a year is ok.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the advice, will try to post some pics after I'm done!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:57 PM

Kojack

I have heard good remarks about the Meguairs NXT though I haven't tried it yet. I use Four Star Swirl Mark Remover, followed by Four Star Ultimate Protection.

I suggest you try to clay your car(s) first. Even though they're brand new, you'd be surprised how much dirt is on your paint already. Plus I believe that claying helps prepare the surface for polishing & waxing (sealing).

So, my suggestion would be to get the Mothers Clay Kit, Meguiars Colorx for polishing, and follow with NXT wax.

Post some pics when you're done. Don't forget to buff off each application by microfiber towels.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:24 PM

'01 SLK320
I picked up a black 2001 SLK 320 in early april. I put on a coat of liquid NXT tech wax after the first week. I'm very pleased with the shine. The hood looked a bit streaky after I finished, but that disappeared by the next morning. I've read of others encountering the same thing, particularly on black. May not occur on the midnight blue.

From what I've read on other forums, the NXT is well-suited for dark colors.

You can use the NXT spray wax as a booster from time-to-time between waxes.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
no need to polish since the paint won't have any swirls on it. but it will probably need a clay job. when being shipped to your dealership via train a lot of rust and brake dust and such gets onto your car and sticks onto it. i recommend Mothers Clay bar system. it only cost about 16 dollars at a local autozone. there are various tutorials on how to do this. just make sure you don't drop it. if you drop it, then the clay is useless. make sure to use plenty of lubrication as well. after that, wash with gold class and then apply nxt paste wax. more people have preferred paste over liquid. apply it all ovre the car. and depending on temperature, let it sit for 15-30 minutes ( shorter time if its hotter, longer if its cold ) then wipe off with a clean towel and admire your results
Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey thanks for the help, will give that a try. I have all day Saturday and am really looking forward to it.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
no need to polish since the paint won't have any swirls on it. but it will probably need a clay job. when being shipped to your dealership via train a lot of rust and brake dust and such gets onto your car and sticks onto it. i recommend Mothers Clay bar system. it only cost about 16 dollars at a local autozone. there are various tutorials on how to do this. just make sure you don't drop it. if you drop it, then the clay is useless. make sure to use plenty of lubrication as well. after that, wash with gold class and then apply nxt paste wax. more people have preferred paste over liquid. apply it all ovre the car. and depending on temperature, let it sit for 15-30 minutes ( shorter time if its hotter, longer if its cold ) then wipe off with a clean towel and admire your results
Right. Do not polish. If you clay bar and WAX often, you will never need to polish. Get rid of the buffer. Do it by hand. No chance of paint burn.