Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Carnuba vs Teflon Pain sealer... what would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Carnuba vs Teflon Pain sealer... what would you do?

I have a new car, just 300 miles, and want to do what I can to protect the paint (especially for the AZ sun).

I have always believed in Carnuba wax every 3-4 months, but I'm being told by my local detail shop to use a Teflon pain sealer every year instead. The cost difference is 2 times as much, but I only need apply it once a year.

What do you guys know about this Teflon stuff?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Teflon ®:
A synthetic polymer formula (PTFE) produced by Dupont Chemicals, they state;" The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer paint does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes.

Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to sinter or bond to a surface." Unless you can heat the surface to the required temperature, Teflon will not bond, the claim that it will provide a ‘non-stick’, slippery surface is nothing more than marketing hype (i.e. brand recognition)

Information resource- Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth About Teflon®", Professional Car washing & Detailing, January, 1989.)

Fracture/evaporation temperatures (Melting points)- Polymers 350oF+, Silicone oil 350oF, Mineral oils 200oF, Synthetic blends (wax / polymers) 200oF, Carnauba wax 180oF, and Bee’s wax 130oF, in actual practice the high temperatures frequently encountered by vehicles from the radiation causes wax compounds to melt, for example, a painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 85oF in direct sunlight, will obtain a temperature of 195 degrees or more

Due to its higher melting point and better durability a polymer sealant may be more suitable for the environmental conditions your vehicle will be subjected too.
JonM