Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint Cleaner/How Often

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
Paint Cleaner/How Often

I have had my Mercedes for about two weeks now. I bought the Mercedes "wash kit". From what I have read, it sounds like I might want to wait on the "Paint Care" part (wax). How often do I do the "Paint Cleaner" stuff? Do I do that after every wash, or just before a wax, or somewhere in between?
Old 06-28-2002, 10:54 AM

2001 CLK 320
Car care kit

The MB kit is actually Meguiar's products. I would look at the production date of your car (on the passenger's door jamb) and add at least three months to that date before using any product except the car shampoo. At that point the paint should have cured. The point may be moot however, since your dealer may, or may not have already polished and waxed your paint. (Some dealers are more thorough than others) The paint cleaner is either a polish or glaze designed to remove fine scratches. You should have no need for this just yet. Always wax immediately after using this product since you have now removed all wax and exposed the paint to the elements. The paint care is a wax, which is always good, but some feel that new paint should be allowed to breathe and cure. Again, your dealer may have already given you a good coat of wax. When washing the car note how well the water beads. If you have good beading, you have a good coat of wax.

Last edited by CLK 320; 06-28-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:04 PM

ML 500 Sport
Paint cleaner is designed to remove imbedded or bonded contaminants...you can tell when you need it by feeling the paint after washing...if it feels rough at all use the paint cleaner before waxing...Swirl remover will do the same thing but is more abrasive and will also take out fine scratches...polish is a more gentle version...you can ask Mequiers via there web advisor for specific recommendations...but they have said that the paint cleaner is really for removing bonded contaminants (road tar, tree sap, pollen, bird poop etc.)....so it probably has solvents that maybe the polishes do not.