Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

is it bad to wax ur car when there's water spots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 w203 C320 Sport Sedan
is it bad to wax ur car when there's water spots?

im washing my car right now.. and as fast as i tried to dry it, there's still hella water spots! is it bad to wax it? i need to know asap lol thanks!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:11 PM

clk
not that I'm aware of. the wax will actually take out the water spots. I think that's why they came out with a wet spray wax/polish so lazy people like me can just spray it on after I wash my car while it's wet and dry it together.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by mikeypwr
im washing my car right now.. and as fast as i tried to dry it, there's still hella water spots! is it bad to wax it? i need to know asap lol thanks!
Clay the car before you wax it. This will give you a better surface for the wax to adhere to. Water spots that get on the car after this will be easily wiped off with a cloth dampened with QD.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by slvrstar
not that I'm aware of. the wax will actually take out the water spots. I think that's why they came out with a wet spray wax/polish so lazy people like me can just spray it on after I wash my car while it's wet and dry it together.
Water spots usually contain alkaline and need an acid like vinegar (Acetic acid, pH=2) to remove them, detailers clay will remove ant 'hardened' deposits.

As far as I'm aware wax will not remove water spots, just cover them
JonM
Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Water spots usually contain alkaline and need an acid like vinegar (Acetic acid, pH=2) to remove them, detailers clay will remove ant 'hardened' deposits.

As far as I'm aware wax will not remove water spots, just cover them
JonM
Yeah, if they are really bad, vinegar is the best way. I don't know what's better, chemical reaction or abrading them with clay?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
i doubt the water spots are that bad since you dried them up pretty soon instead of them just evaporating. the wax will not do any damage if that is what you are thinking. just next time when you want to get rid of them, just clay or polish the car, or if you want, vinegar. i would do that last... just my personal choice because i think kitchen things should stay in the kitchen like vinegar, peanut oil, and women :P. oh i heard that the vinegar removes rust... true? anybody care to explain the process or what product it was? just for knowledge. not one rust spot on my car that i know of and damn proud of it.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Yeah, if they are really bad, vinegar is the best way. I don't know what's better, chemical reaction or abrading them with clay?
The surface will be abraded either way-
1. With the (mild) abrasive in the clay
2. The abrasion caused by the (vinegar) applicator

My guess is they would both be roughly the same

JonM
Old 10-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 e420 ( 210 / 119 )
wasnwax

hi,

i use and am an advocate ofquick detailer, meguires, using cotton fiber towels, and a duster prior to cleaning ext.

i never have used a hose and soap on benz or others. creates scratches.

there is a product line avil. to public named, coopers.

cooper has a full line of stuff for car , or whatever,

use this, : cooper wash n wax for your waterspots. it is excellent,
good luck
Old 10-16-2005, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
never used a hose? you truly aren't a detailer or you don't want the best shine for your car. i bet all their products are just quik detailers that have been renamed, oh and of course their miracle wax.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:42 AM

2002 w203 C320 Sport Sedan
haha thanks for all the input guys.. unfortunately, i am still confused as to the best way to get rid of water spots before waxing. both methods seem to have their downsides.. but overall, i'm guessing clay is better than putting vinegar (?!?!?) on my paint? lol if so, where can i buy the clay bar? thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:10 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 e420 ( 210 / 119 )
water spots

,, that i am not a true detailer ! thanks for the correction. you sure verified that mbz , at a minimum uses excellent paint on their autos.( in calculating years, your lookin at 18 )thanks for the research. ( in reply to 1987 merc. 300e)https://mbworld.org/forums/newreply....e=1&p=1313420#

anyways, i once heard that a product made out of denim and a seperate cotton material, can really rub into the detailing for ya ! *( daisy duke )j/k

i have a friend , who once a week, gets his car cleaned up by his girlfirend , she's hot and get this, she totally casuses a traffic delimma on the strret , everyone checks herr out , lol , no clothes but , a small top, and daisy dukes on ! lolololol.

mike