Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Micro pitting on chrome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Micro pitting on chrome

I was horrified today to find what looks like micro-pitting on the grill of my 1+ year old E-class. The paint around it is not affected.

Any thoughts as to how this could have happenned? I recall no possible cause and I wash and wax it myself with well-known products.

More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove them.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Cleaning Chrome:
Use a product that doesn’t contain harsh solvents, petroleum distillates or ammonia. A metal polish in the form of a pleasant-smelling, non-toxic soap (P21S Polishing Soap) is a solid, clay-based (Kaolin) polish that applies with its own sponge. Simply wet the sponge with water, wipe it across the Polishing Soap, and squeeze the sponge to create lather and begin polishing and then rinse with clean water.

Alternate products- Happich SeamiChrome Polish, Chrome Polish and hot environment polish. http://www.englishcustompolishing.com, or http://www.caswellplating.com

{each one / teach one][then student /becomes teacher}
JonM
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Thanks TOGWT. Wat do you think might havae caused it? Is it a common problem?

I will try your suggestion. But why do you suppose polish will help with pitting. I would have guessed the chrome coating on the plastic is very thin.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
The pitting could be caused by acid rain, alkaline water spots, etc. You are correct chrome plating is very thin, with a gentle chrome polish you are levelling the surface, oviously you can only go so far (just like clear coat) so as you polish inspect the surface often (if you see a slight copper colour STOP that's the chrome's base layer)